Capto Iugulum: 1940 - 1959

OOC: house-keeping diplomacy that got put-off b/c of a model UN this weekend. Orders will be in this evening.

IC:

From the Confederation
To Poitou

We congratulate you on completing your long-anticipated elections, and will be happy to work with your democratically responsible civilian government.

From the Confederation
To Galicia

To formalize what has been de facto the case for a few years - in the spirit of increased bilateral cooperation between us - you are invited into the Grenoble Pact.

So there's a Dilbert comic which features the titular character coming back from an exercise run and feeling miserable about it. The punch line for the strip is "The key to finding joy in your work is having a hobby that's even worse." Today I was working on the update at my job because we were very slow, and suddenly I was given a mountain of new paperwork for data entry, and I was happy because it meant that I didn't have to work on the update anymore.

I had a really lousy weekend, which has helped put things into perspective for me. I'm gainfully and fully employed now at a job that isn't going anywhere, and my wife is too. With full employment has apparently come a larger amount of social commitment. I stopped working on updates at home in June, having plenty of free time at work, but this is simply not going to be enough anymore. If I were to do this update, and do it at the quickest pace without ignoring my social and work commitments, the ETA would be sometime in late December. Fact is, I can't moderate a large globe-spanning NES anymore. It requires too much research, writing, and commitment that I just can't offer. At best, we could hobble along for another 2-3 updates, and I'd be making this post next January or February anyways. Fun fact: For every 4 updates I've written for this NES, I could have submitted a novel for Novel Writing November contest or whatever it's called. I average 15,000 words per update, and that's not including the massive amount of notes, outlines, and other supporting documents.

Now here's the nasty part of this post. On top of all of this writing I do (for free and at the expense of doing other stuff I could be doing), I get maybe a half dozen "great update" posts. I am human, so I run on kudos as much as the next man, but mostly all I get are complaints. More often than not these are justified complaints, and I try to respond fairly and even-handedly. Hell, I get complaints from people who aren't even in the NES. Frankly, I've noticed an environment of elitism and narrow-mindedness from a large portion of the NES player base (I mean, come on, IOTs are pretty much the same thing as NESes, we should have combined our player bases). This attitude has seeped into quite a bit of the responses and PMs I get, and I'm just tired of that pettiness. In addition to all of the writing work I have to do, it seems more and more that I have to deal with bloody high school-esque drama that seeps into these forums: "Oh, let's see, _______ wants to join the NES, but he doesn't like ________, what nation could I recommend?" Now before you take offense, I want to point out that some of you have been a genuine pleasure to deal with and I'd like to expressly point out the following: Jehoshua, theDright, TheMeanestGuest, spryllino, J.K. Stockholme, and Justo. I've disagreed with some of them on occasion, but for the most part, they have all been polite, clear, objective, and consistent in their diplomacy and actions as NESers. If I gave awards, they'd get them.

Now by all that, you're probably assuming that I'm quitting NESing, or full of crap, whichever is fine to me. I'm not either though. As I stated above, I just don't have time to do a globe-spanning NES. It takes too much research, background construction, etc. I do plan to start a smaller NES in the nearish future, however, focusing on a much more limited scale. I figure a rehash of one of the old tried-but-true rulesets for a miniNES is the way to go from here on out. For all of its flaws and the dislike I have for some of it, NESing is still going to be part of my life, no matter how busy I get IRL. Even if it means I'm solely limited to running small board game NESes. So I'm still going to be here, ideally both playing in and moderating NESes, but the fact is that despite my hopes and desires, I just can't do Capto Iugulum. It's a temporal and mental impossibility.

As for unfinished business, there is quite a bit. I've already expressed my apologies to TLJ, who only now is seeing fruition of a IRL year of work and planning. I have no intent on writing an epilogue, as things may not be finished in the long term. Nor was that really the intent of the NES. People have accused me of having a preset notion of where things should be headed. This is lies and calamity. I have let every player and nation choose what path they were on. The reason this perception has come to being is because I have always advised players on what their people would think. An NES is a story, and stories frequently come with a point. The point I've been trying to make with this NES is that the world is not a place where you can do whatever you want without careful planning and consequences for every action. Thusly, I have operated my NES on the ideas of geopolitics, best exemplified by the following quote from George Friedman:

Geopolitics and economics both assume that the players are rational, at least in the sense of knowing their own short-term self-interest. As rational actors, reality provides them with limited choices. It is assumed that, on the whole, people and nations will pursue their self-interest, if not flawlessly, then at least not randomly. Think of a chess game. On the surface, it appears that each player has twenty potential opening moves. In fact, there are many fewer because most of these moves are so bad that they can quickly lead to defeat. The better you are at chess, the more clearly you see your options, and the fewer moves there are actually available. The better the player, the more predictable the moves.

TL; DR Summary: Screw you, read the goddamn post.

RIP in peace, Capto Iugulum. :(

Florida survived! Russia didn't win! These are both possibilities of a world we shall never see!

It's been quite a ride. There have been highs and lows, and I've always appreciated that this NES provided a chance to create a story in a swiftly-changing environment, the likes of which don't come by all that often. Vinland will live on in my heart as one of my all-time favourite nations. :viking:

NYET! Russia is clearly the winner! Victory Gif!

Wow. Never thought I'd see the day. This has been a fantastic experience for me, largely because of your effort, EQ. Thanks, kudos, and I look forward to your next project.

I'll see if I can post the Diary of Hsiao Yi before the thread inevitably gets locked.

And not a single Russian soldier set foot in the Revolutionary City. To arms, colleagues! We must hold our bayonets firmer, cast our sight to the horizon once more, and one golden day we shall reach the prosperity our forefathers promised.

We are one people, with one resolve. We give our lives gladly for freedom, for the Revolution, for our Fatherland; for Scandinavia. To a glorious and worthy death!

Welp, its been an adventure. :)

Thanks for running this as long as you did, EQ. Your ability to write 15,000 words per update for so long has always seemed incredible to me. Thanks for running it, and I will always remember Capto as my first and probably my funnest NES. :p

Thanks for the wild ride, EQ!

And not a single Russian soldier set foot in the Revolutionary City. To arms, colleagues! We must hold our bayonets firmer, cast our sight to the horizon once more, and one golden day we shall reach the prosperity our forefathers promised.

We are one people, with one resolve. We give our lives gladly for freedom, for the Revolution, for our Fatherland; for Scandinavia. To a glorious and worthy death!

Now I don't get to unveil my secret weapon :(

I've put in a lot of time and work getting people into this NES that has gone completely ignored by most of you, let alone keeping them in the NES. To be recognized as some kind of petty OOC player is the worst insult to ever come at me. I was on the verge of quitting based on how the last few turns had been going, and the sheer amount of stupidity coming out of the "better" players. Complaints happen because something is broken. Things were very broken, extremely in some cases. But I stuck to the NES because I believed it would be better. I was proven wrong today, and for people that took my word on joining and remaining in the NES I apologize.

Years of hard work gone. I didn't get much for it either except for putting up with things that I knew, as a historian, to be outrageous for the sake of continuing the NES. Brazil was an uphill battle against clear bias, and everyone told me to quit numerous times but I said no. At least I made it from beginning to end without missing orders.

Whatever.

/rawfeed

This was my first NES, and I'm sure that for long as I'm on this forum, I'll be comparing future games to this. I wasnt here for too long, but thank you for running an amazing game, EQ.

"So many great nobles, things, administrations, so many high chieftains, so many brave nations, so many proud princes, and power so splendid; In a moment, a twinkling, all utterly ended." - Jacobus de Benedictus (thanks M2TW :p )

Thanks for letting me into my first NES, EQ. I know I didn't show enough appreciation of your efforts, but in the future I will make sure to recognize the Herculean tasks that mods are taking on when they make a NES.

Firstly, and most importantly, thank you EQandCivfanatic.

When i first started your NES, i wasn't sure how i felt about it. I did feel there was a significant limit to what the players could try to do and for someone from a Fantasy NESing background, that was difficult to accept.

With time I came to understand what you were trying to build and I developed a new appreciation for your efforts and the world you (and the players) built. Ultimately, I had a great time in your NES; so thank you for the patience, colossal effort and commitment, and sheer work you put into this project.

I've never played alongside you in a NES and I hope that with your time commitments suddenly opened up significantly (despite work, family, etc), we'll see you as a fellow player in something. It would be nice to get to know the EQ that isn't a moderator as well.

Top Bottom