Capto Iugulum: 1940 - 1959

Thanks very much for all of this EQ. I may seem like a lazy idiot sometimes, but I truly looked forward to this every update.

At least I didn't have to see Iran burn under Russian boots.

Just making clear, as there does seem to be confusion: I'm not done moderating NESes, just this one, and ones of the same scale. I will still be playing in NESes as time and Grandkhan permit (get it started already!). I have a long (as in stuff that I've been working on for years) backlog of smaller NESes that have never seen the light of day. All of these will be focused in limited regions/environments with fairly rigid and set rulesets. I'm figuring that I can manage pseudo-board games, but dealing with 100+ nations and 60+ NPCs is a bit too much for me.

Currently on the Agenda:

1. Rebirth of RebelNES

2. An fantasy North America map where the fictional Empire of Adalandi deals with uppity Aztec and Mayan city-states while dealing with rebellious overseas holdings. This is a history I've been wanting to use for a long time, partially crafted thanks to Lord_Iggy.

3. Alien Invasion NES: where a number of players defend North America (commander style) against an outright alien attack, controlled by a single anonymous player.

4. Properly relaunched Fallout NES, sorry to those in the other one. Probably will wait for Fallout 4 to be announced on the 11th first.

5. RPG NES. This is a bit more off the wall than most of my ideas, featuring instead of nations, individuals. So far, it seems to play out a bit like what I hear a Dungeons and Dragons campaign is like (though I've never actually tried one of those). Only difference is that I'm planning on it being more of an open world sort of thing, with the emphasis being on exploration rather than a set adventure or story.

I have enjoyed CI immensely at times, in one way or another. I haven't enjoyed it on its merits as a work of historical likelihood, and I regret what it might have been if EQ were less biased and didn't have so many of the flaws in his modding style that we can all see. I have, though, taken pleasure from it in other ways.

I could write a lengthy post critiquing the criticisms of EQ's modding engaged in by the #nes crowd - but I will not, because, in many of their cases, criticising them is at least as much like banging your head against a brick wall as criticising EQ is - and that doesn't ever seem to get anyone anywhere much either. If I said in depth what I thought, I should offend everyone, and no-one would really pay any attention anyway. Rudeness and failure to see the other side of arguments and to meaningfully engage with the issues are, I think, the problems here, not the divide between elitists and anti-elitists.

Hey now, I'd like to think that I've become more open to criticism these days.

Yes, but I've never really been entirely convinced that you've ever quite understood the terms on which you're being criticised. Whenever anyone suggests that something is unrealistic, you either justify it badly ex post facto, or tell us that anything's possible in an infinite multiverse, and then proceed to make exactly the same mistake again later. So we have repeated freak military defeats based on dodgy gameplay mechanics; coups happening for no particular reason; elections working like no elections ever worked; nationalists and proletarists breeding like rabbits with no apparent regard for demographics. We also have complete failure to register intermediate categories of things: all countries have a two-party system, NPCs are always completely complaisant or completely uncooperative as far as I can see, and the only solution to constant warfare appears (e.g. in the dissolved Confederation) to be political union, simply because of the unrealistic levels of political volatility absolutely everywhere. And yet it apparently doesn't even strike you that half the things that players do are, on a basic level, politically impossible, or at least you never block them in an IC fashion: legislatures never seem to block player actions.

This whole set-up is a false premise for any sort of plausible story. You may be more open to criticism than you might have been - but, while you apparently still lack a coherent understanding of why basic elements of the structure of your NES consistently generate absurdly implausible results, trying to criticise you from within any such understanding as the one I suggest that you lack is like banging one's head against a brick wall. There's very little apparent evidence you even understand the concept of plausibility, and what it would entail - i.e. absurd and nearly impossible things not happening - let alone aim for it - and you certainly do not reach it.

'Twas an enjoyable experience, and my sincerest apologies for the lack of kudos and positive feedback, both from myself and several others. I also offer thanks for the fantastic journey. :)

And I think really that it's all in the past now, for real.

It has been a great NES and I had a lot of fun playing it. Now obviously it wasn't perfect, the mod and players being human, and the entire thing being a simulation flaws were inevitable, I think we have to accept that for any NES (or game of similar type). One shouldn't really dwell on the imperfections though I think. The important thing was that it was engaging, particularly in the relations between players, and for that I commend EQ on crafting an excellent and long-lasting NES. I would also say that it would be good of him to keep the notes in the archive somewhere in case he ever gets the RL time and inclination to resurrect CI once again.

-

@Spry: All nations did not have a two party system, from observation plenty of them have the more complex coalition mechanic you see where a binary hasn't developed, and obviously a good number of nations are one party or dispense with the party system all together (ain't no political parties in the Papal States :p). Most of the other criticisms you mention have some (be it lesser or greater) merit, particularly I agree with regards to legislatures not blocking the player executive (in states that are "democratic'), the complete freedom of the player in this situation saw some strange incongruities (like in Burgundy *cough*). I don't really agree with your assessment though that NPC's were all complaisant or completely un-cooperative, having engaged with a good number as Il Papa. (Your experience I think depends on precisely what you requested)

It was a great NES and although I haven't actually participated recently I have continued following all events (while waiting for the return of Arabia :p). Our discussions about the 100s of different possible outcomes of CI (and ABNW back in the day) were also always enjoyable.

Thank you for all the time and energy you've put into this NES and the others over the years. I've often come close to launching a NES of my own but have never done so due to the sheer time commitment involved in moderating. Looking forward to whatever else you come up with.

BTW I'm backing Russia storming all of Western Europe as the most likely outcome of ttl WW2.

Good games, guys. EQ, you have my respect for being able to manage a game like this as long as you have. I'm sorry we have to end so abruptly, but I understand the rational.

On my part, I would like to apologize, to you and the others, for not engaging as much as I probably should have. I was one of the greater powers, and I mostly kept to my sphere of Asia. I believe a more isolationist policy was IC, but I probably could have interacted with nations around the Pacific and Indian Oceans more than I did. I'm definitely not a very aggressive player, but I would like to think I made some decent policy decisions over the last year or two. I probably could have written more stories, but I confess I've never felt super comfortable writing for a culture I'm not extremely familiar with. Ironically, I was actually planning on making a better effort this winter to participate on a greater level. Since graduation, my life has been quite busy, volunteering, shadowing, preparing for medical school, among other personal life events, and I'll be honest, I haven't been the best player. I've thought several times about quitting or transitioning to a smaller country. However, I've stayed on, in no small part to the efforts that you, EQ, and the rest of the players have put into making this game as good as it was. Also, if anyone was going to screw up the nearly 200 year old Operation All Your Asia Is Ours, it was going to be me. I wanted to see how long I could keep up the charade of appearing to be a skilled player before I made a newb mistake and you asked me to go back to Abyssinia.

To the rest of the world, I feel it is my duty to confess that it was Japan that killed Disco. I have working on a secret project for the last few decades dedicated to ensure that disco would die a violent death.

I'd like to congratulate everyone for participating (even if some of you could have done a better job playing IC. Don't worry, I see the log in my eye). Iggy, LoE, Lucky, Cicuit and others, fantastic job on the short stories and contribution. Your motivation held out far longer than mine, and I will in future NESes will try to emulate your dedication to filling out the background as completely as you have.

EQ, thanks for putting in the time and effort. You've a great job writing events, and I hope at some point to get a better understanding of the system behind CI. I'm extremely curious, and I figure as someone with a minor in mathematics and some experience real life systems, I could appreciate and perhaps provide suggestions (whether they'd be good or not, I'd leave it up to you to decide). I know that many have had their complaints, but I've never minded. I understand models are mere caricatures of the systems they are designed to reflect, and so I can accept flaw in your design.

Moving forward, I would like to request a spot in any NES that you may do. All of you agenda suggestions look good.

GG guys

:salute:

While my decisions during my time in this NES were questionable at best, that doesn't detract from what you did EQ. The dedication you had to keep this going as long as you did was impressive I think. Far more than I have or probably will ever have.

First off, Jehoshua is right, not every nation had a two party system, and quite a few were noted to have coalitions in the various updates. I simply asked for the major parties of the various states, and worked with what was provided. Actually yeah, the coups were the reason why I had to design the new political/unrest system which started in 1938. The old system was mostly based on the stability stat which had looked something like this for a good long while now:

Stability (Rolled with two dice)

Rolls above limit cause problems

1 Above: None
2-3 Above: Protests and Demonstrations
4-6 Above: Rioting or assassination attempt
7-8 Above: Localized regional or nationalist revolt
9-10 Above: Multiple regional or nationalist revolts
11+: Anarchy and national collapse

The system had numerous flaws and discrepancies, which led to situations like the "Accidental Revolution" in Scandinavia and the American Crisis. Feedback on these events is what led me to redo the system to the new one which was introduced partially in 1938ish. The system in this case was a holdout system from A Brave New World, and I just never really bothered changing it until I started work on the new system about a year ago. I understand quite a few flaws in the setup which led to inherently incorrect circumstances. To do a proper postmortem, here are what I view as the primary mistakes I've made in the management of the NES:

1. Not developing a proper backstory. You're right in saying that anything's possible in an infinite multiverse is a hand-wave. My goal from the beginning was to develop an interesting scenario, and not a plausible one. That aside, regardless of whether or not the Byzantines and Aztecs survived, I should have created a more elaborate backstory from the beginning to give context the world's circumstances.

2. Not adopting a new system for at least the 1920-1939 stage of the NES' stability. I had the stability stuff all working by then, but was waiting to change it all over at once. It wouldn't have stopped the two events I mentioned above, but you probably would have noticed a bit more stable of a world during this timeframe.

3. Not ending the NES 10 updates ago. Just as the Reclamation War started, it became clear to me that the NES' advancement would not let me get things to where I wanted to get them. Instead, my attention to the NES became a bit more half-assed and I was less inclined to put greater thought into things. Personally, that was about the time I stopped having fun, and I had been staking everything on the Second Great War to make things fun for me again, which proved to be irrelevant, since I wouldn't have time for that either.

As for the NPCs, yeah, that's something I've always had trouble with, and I don't think it helped that at its height, CI had around 65 active NPCs. I just was not prepared for the level of NPC management that entailed. I overreached with that, and frankly, it's one of the key reasons that the NES just takes too much time and effort. Here I can admit some clear bias. NPCs that I was more interested in, such as Madagascar in CIEN or Cuba in the latest phase, got priority to me when I was thinking about how those nations would proceed. I'm openly admitting, NPCs have always been a challenge for me as a moderator, and it's been hard to keep from playing favorites when I have to dedicate time to figure out what the NPCs want/need to do.

Mostly, spryllino, beyond the political party bit, I don't disagree with what you say. I rarely blocked players' actions, even when their own governments would not have let them do it. I have attempted to on multiple occasions advise players against courses of actions that would be unwise, but unfortunately, this puts me between a rock and a hard place. If I outright block the actions of a player, or even advise against them, I receive the complaint "Stop railroading us." If I allow said player to undertake foolish action, I get your complaint. At this point, I've reached a point where I don't want to create a no-win situation for myself needlessly. Obviously, I couldn't voice this in the past, because I didn't want to alienate one sect of players over the other, as both complaints are valid in the context. If I outright stopped someone from invading someone else, I could easily be accused of "herding them" into a given role or situation. Hell, even just advising against it could be perceived as railroading. Let's say I let the invasion go forward, and someone else says something along the lines of "there's no way _______'s legislature would have let them get away with that." I wish I could have stated this before, but as said, I was concerned about alienating members of the NES. Both complaints would be valid in the context, and either way, there's someone complaining about the way I do things. So really, do I block or don't block? I can name a dozen things off the top of my head that NESers throughout CI have done that should have been politically impossible. Of course, at the same time, I can name plenty of things I HAVE blocked, or tried to block, which have cost the NES players. The joy of being a moderator in an NES like this.

I'm very sorry to see the NES end, but at the same time I completely understand the reasons why; it was a massive undertaking that I always admired EQ for (I didn't write "Great Update" because I felt that went without saying, but I guess I'll need to keep that in mind next go-around). While my run as Great Britain was kinda stressful, I have always enjoyed the NES's timeline and it made for hours of great conversation with my fellow math tutor when I worked at SLCC (both Quisani and another guy at the Redwood Campus) telling about the narrative (John's going to be awfully disappointed to hear it was cancelled; I'd been keeping him up to date about the Second Great War). Scottite USA is one of my all-time favorite countries to play in a NES, the best unlucky roll I ever got, and I was waiting for the day for General Scott's legacy to return to Capto Iugulum and America to crush the world under their boots and take their rightful place as the master race. That won't come to pass, but... y'all knew it was coming. :evil: Anywho, it may be for the best, and I will never forget the fun I've had with CI, and I do indeed greatly appreciate the work EQ has done with it, haters be damned.

Gentlemen, it has been an honor and a privilege. Until we meet again.

Story:

"... and that, my son, is where we end our story of Capto Iugulum, a very different world from our own. Some heroes became nobodies, and some nobodies became heroes, but that's the way that history is." *closes the book*

"But... but daddy!"

"Yes, son?"

"Well... I understand about the United States becoming evil, and the Spanish ruling the world, and the Russians almost taking over. And I know Teddy Roosevelt was murdered, and Mussolini became pope, and all that other stuff, but... there's one thing I don't know."

"And what's that, my son?"

"Well... whatever happened to Abraham Lincoln?"

"Hahah! Well, son, he led a very different life in the world of Capto Iugulum. Fate had a very different career in store for him, and one that was just as important as being the President..."

Link to video.

Vinland had fought an unending, covert struggle for its ongoing independence...

It was not the Navy that won our secret war...

It was not the Försvarsmakten...

The True Story...

Of the most secretive division of the VRP.

Kommandør Treholt og Ninjatroppen.

Link to video.

Thanks for a great NES EQ! Since starting in April I've looked forward to every update. I don't feel the need to critique since others have done most of it. It sucks to see it close, seeing as I felt as I was finally starting to do things "properly" or least make some better decisions concerning Mayaland.

Thanks, EQ, for providing a great NES for the time I was in it.

Though I only played in the NES here and there, it was still an interesting read that always seemed to generate a lot of conversation within the community.

Honestly, having played as Puerto Rico for a few turns before I started working overtime nearly every week, I have to say that one thing you do a very excellent job of is making even the smallest, most unimportant of positions a generally interesting and fun experience for its player. I was only Puerto Rico for about five turns, but for those five turns you mentioned it every update. I appreciate that. Even if a mod doesn't seek to emulate your style or method, paying attention to the little guy is something everyone can and should learn to do.

Sorry to see this happen EQ, thanks for modding such an enjoyable and fun game. My heart will always be with my dear Netherlands, at least I managed to get it to have an empire for a little bit. Was a fun year and a half, will be missing it and I was looking to getting involved in the game once again, but I understand, life is life.

Top Bottom