Caveman 2 Cosmos

For a custom game, what is the largest working world map possible? For the previous version I tried a gigantic Terra map, but there was no ocean. The whole map was land-locked.
Anyway, I thought that was the largest size scale, but if there is a larger one, I would rather use that.

For a custom game, what is the largest working world map possible? For the previous version I tried a gigantic Terra map, but there was no ocean. The whole map was land-locked.
Anyway, I thought that was the largest size scale, but if there is a larger one, I would rather use that.

Use Planet Generator, the size of the map is up to you, to a certain point that is.

Use Planet Generator, the size of the map is up to you, to a certain point that is.

Once we get Viewports the size of the map will really not be that much of an issue, except for turn times. I'm thinking we may want to release a V24.1 with Viewports and bugfixes, but that's up to you.

any idea when Viewports will be finished? im getting sick of making it to medieval or industrious era and the game start to get unplayable

What will Viewport do make map size basically irrelevant?

Cheers

It makes it so that the main game engine only ever sees a portion of the map, while the DLL sees all. This is good because sometimes 75 to 80% of RAM usage was caused by poor graphics handling in the main game engine. Tests have shown that the viewports can eliminate 30-60% of RAM usage on larger maps.

Just wanted to add my concerns about the volcano. I've started 3 games since Saturday (c2c pangaea maps-nothing funny, updating svn each morning) and I get two volcanos in my territory before my 5th tracker is out consistently. Which given the way gatherers work is kind of demotivating. I wouldn't be surprised if this is wasting AI players' time, unless someone taught them not to build near the volcano.

I'm having this same problem. I'm researching the cause of this now, but if it's an integral part of the game that I can't fix then I'm going back to v23 for now. This volcano thing is just too frustrating.

does this mod support multiplayer. if so how do you get it to work. my friend and i have tried to play online but niether of our games show up in the lobby and no other games show up either. both of our mods work in single player and we have no trouble joining eachothers games in normal civ 4 beyond the sword.

any help would be appreciated

does this mod support multiplayer. if so how do you get it to work. my friend and i have tried to play online but niether of our games show up in the lobby and no other games show up either. both of our mods work in single player and we have no trouble joining eachothers games in normal civ 4 beyond the sword.

any help would be appreciated

Yes it supports multiplayer but I don't know how. @StrategyOnly or AIAndy please start a sticky thread somewhere called "C2C Multiplayer" or something and have the first post explaining how to get connected....

The Lan lobby stopped working a few versions ago when I wasn't around and hasn't since. But the IP connect works much better anyhow. As to how that would go for connections not based on an internal network I am not sure.

It makes it so that the main game engine only ever sees a portion of the map, while the DLL sees all. This is good because sometimes 75 to 80% of RAM usage was caused by poor graphics handling in the main game engine. Tests have shown that the viewports can eliminate 30-60% of RAM usage on larger maps.

Woah! You serious? I was following some of your guys work on viewports and I thought it was going to mainly be used for multimaps but this sounds fantastic! I normally avoid maps larger then err... large, because of turn times, but if guys release this and it does as your tests says ill be pretty happy especially if it helps speed up the game on larger maps. Defiantly made my day :)

Woah! You serious? I was following some of your guys work on viewports and I thought it was going to mainly be used for multimaps but this sounds fantastic! I normally avoid maps larger then err... large, because of turn times, but if guys release this and it does as your tests says ill be pretty happy especially if it helps speed up the game on larger maps. Defiantly made my day :)

It's more memory use than run-speed. The AI still has to propces the entire map. However, since it enables greater scalability it adds further incentive to optimise the speed (which then becomes the main scaling issue), so it' likely that'll get more attention too.

What is this "Patch 1"? Should I get that instead of the main download?

Patch 1 is only 1 file in it, so you need the main d/l then apply the patch overriding the main folders. Thx for asking.

I was looking through the .xml, finding the PropertyManipulators tag gave me an idea. We have units that affect crime in cities, like City Guards and such. Now, it occured to me that there's another city property that could be affected by units in the city.

How about increasing the risk of fire in a city that being defended by flamethrower units? ;) Half joke, half serious suggestion.

Top Bottom