Caveman 2 Cosmos

It doesn't look like INIBuddy has that option. Dang. OK, maybe I don't need to use it so much now. I'll edit that out through a text editor and get you a new log soon as I can.

I've never had my ini file change values unpredictably even when I was on win 7....
The game does change some of the tags in there, like the last used game/map-options, and profile settings that you change in in-game options.

I've never had my ini file change values unpredictably even when I was on win 7....
The game does change some of the tags in there, like the last used game/map-options, and profile settings that you change in in-game options.
I wasn't the only person to experience it but it's a new computer and since then I haven't. The options in the ini would just revert back to some stupid defaults spontaneously. Never could figure out what the catalyst for it was. Would just happen with some regularity.

I wasn't the only person to experience it but it's a new computer and since then I haven't. The options in the ini would just revert back to some stupid defaults spontaneously. Never could figure out what the catalyst for it was. Would just happen with some regularity.
Fair enough, I've experienced the same with other games and their ini files, so I know it's a thing.

OK, the logs. It did help to avoid all the errors on mod load. Dang... that was a useful little program. Not critical or anything but I did like it.

So it's interesting that I don't have an end turn button at all during this turn, even long before she clicks to add something to the build queue in her city that causes the OOS. That might be a whole different problem that errors aren't discussing. I had the end turn button available in the previous rounds - this was the first it disappeared.

Attachments

• Logs.7z
    9.5 KB · Views: 62
I just zip my civ4 ini, so I have backup of it.

I think its possible, that game crashing or shutting down midload causes ini file reset.

Last edited:
OK, the logs. It did help to avoid all the errors on mod load. Dang... that was a useful little program. Not critical or anything but I did like it.

So it's interesting that I don't have an end turn button at all during this turn, even long before she clicks to add something to the build queue in her city that causes the OOS. That might be a whole different problem that errors aren't discussing. I had the end turn button available in the previous rounds - this was the first it disappeared.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugEventManager", line 307, in _handleDefaultEvent
  File "CvEventManager", line 2808, in onGameUpdate
  File "OOSLogger", line 70, in writeLog
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 31: ordinal not in range(128)

Looks like the issue is with the unicode string for the letter "é". More about this.

k, I can fix the encoding error quite easily, but what caused the OOS in the first place may be tricky to figure out. Thanks for the info.

@raxo2222 and anyone, do you think the Virotherapy Clinic needs some AI weight? It leads to Bacterium Bioforge, which leads to a number of juicy buildings. But in itself it looks kinda worthless.

@raxo2222 and anyone, do you think the Virotherapy Clinic needs some AI weight? It leads to Bacterium Bioforge, which leads to a number of juicy buildings. But in itself it looks kinda worthless.
It already has AI weight of 1 - all buildings, that are requirement for other buildings have AI weight of 1.
Smiths, smelters, and Industrial and later era resource producers also have AI weight of 1.
National Wonders, that give resource/free building/are requirement for something have it too.

Last edited:
It already has AI weight of 1 - all buildings, that are requirement for other buildings have AI weight of 1.
Smiths, smelters, and Industrial and later era resource producers also have AI weight of 1.
National Wonders, that give resource/free building/are requirement for something have it too.
Ok never mind, I checked an AI and it seems to be building it already.

It was just me who didn't know to...:crazyeye: (and my advisor of course who still doesn't :rolleyes:)

Ok, so the OOSLogger log file should now be created on OOS events without encoding errors.
It will appear here as usual in this form:
"\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\TB - Player X - Turn Y OOSLog.txt"
We will have to analyze closer why interaction with the build queue cause OOS at the moment, may be a combination of python and dll in this case.
Could you see if removing things from the build queue causes OOS as well, and if it happens both for units and buildings, as they are handled a bit differently.

Regarding the missing end turn button, is this during whispers turn that you don't have the button? Are you playing simultaneous turns?

Are you playing simultaneous turns?
This is simultaneous turns. When I loaded the game after a few attempts, it was no longer showing up anymore. The enter button won't end the turn either.

Are you asking for the OOS logs from us?

So although I'm not seeing what's happening in the code, theoretically, anything that changes the gamestate that doesn't report that change to the other systems on the network will create an OOS. I'm not sure how we could test to see if it creates an OOS to remove something from the queue if you can't keep a sync'd state enough to add something to it at all - even if I saved the game after she did it, my save wouldn't know she had and that's the whole problem - maybe if I planted a city, set something in my queue, saved the game, loaded that save then tested its removal we might be able to get another OOS from removal, which I fully assume we would since a change to the queue is not creating the needed update message. And that's pretty much the sum of it right? That the old queueing mechanism would send the net message and this one isn't doing that. It hasn't changed in the dll so it must have previously been managed in the python somehow. I'm guessing.

This is simultaneous turns. When I loaded the game after a few attempts, it was no longer showing up anymore. The enter button won't end the turn either.
K, I'll focus on fixing that first as it may point to a deeper problem.
Are you asking for the OOS logs from us?
Not really, just informing you about it in case you want to look at it yourselves, I don't think it will be very useful for me atm.
So although I'm not seeing what's happening in the code, theoretically, anything that changes the gamestate that doesn't report that change to the other systems on the network will create an OOS. I'm not sure how we could test to see if it creates an OOS to remove something from the queue if you can't keep a sync'd state enough to add something to it at all - even if I saved the game after she did it, my save wouldn't know she had and that's the whole problem - maybe if I planted a city, set something in my queue, saved the game, loaded that save then tested its removal we might be able to get another OOS from removal, which I fully assume we would since a change to the queue is not creating the needed update message. And that's pretty much the sum of it right? That the old queueing mechanism would send the net message and this one isn't doing that. It hasn't changed in the dll so it must have previously been managed in the python somehow. I'm guessing.
Python code that controls the queue and build list selections doesn't really change gamestate on its own, it just informs the dll about the user interaction like so:
GAME.selectedCitiesGameNetMessage(iGaMsgType, iOrder, iType, 0, False, bAlt, bShift, bCtrl)
I'm thinking there's a caching issue in the dll, the dll code for this was changed a bit after PPIO was added to core, that's why I think I'll need a dll modder to cooperate with me in the debugging process.

At this moment I'm occupied with the wonder movie issue, setting it up to handle .dds files.

K, I'll focus on fixing that first as it may point to a deeper problem.
Yeah it may. Ok. Cool.

Not really, just informing you about it in case you want to look at it yourselves, I don't think it will be very useful for me atm.
Yeah we've had to use those to compare to kill a number of OOS errors. It gives good hints as to where to begin looking anyhow.

GAME.selectedCitiesGameNetMessage(iGaMsgType, iOrder, iType, 0, False, bAlt, bShift, bCtrl)
OK, that's a net message so it should be working to avoid an OOS as that's usually the failure of a python programming in the events to call a NetMessage properly when something should be updated on all systems. I think you're right we're back to looking at:
I'm thinking there's a caching issue in the dll, the dll code for this was changed a bit after PPIO was added to core, that's why I think I'll need a dll modder to cooperate with me in the debugging process.
@billw2015 @alberts2 Do either of you have any insights into what might've changed here and how that could be causing an out of sync error in simultaneous play?

What issue? We use BIK files for movies and DDS for stills. We even got the stills to show the game text displayed at the end on the BIK run.
Yeah, it's not a real issue, just some tweaks I'd like to do there in regards to the still images.
Like having a 3 seconds delay before the wonder info is placed over the image and allowing that text with dark background to be toggled on and off by clicking the header text or by hitting any keyboard key while the movie/picture is up.

Top Bottom