Caveman 2 Cosmos

@Joseph

My turn time similar to yours. 2:20.

As for my PC, I have a win10 (18 month old) was new, but good price in a sale.
Proc. i3 - 8100, about 3.4 Mhz.
Mem. 8gb, ddr4, 2400 Mhz
Graph. GTX 1060 - 3 Mb.

Hard drive has optimised SSD partition.

@Joseph

Mem. 8gb, ddr4, 2400 Mhz
Graph. GTX 1060 - 3 Mb.

I think that processor speed has much to do with EoT time. We both have 3.4GHz.

I would love to have an SSD to see if it would give any kind of speed up.

I do need to put back in the 16GB of DDR# 1600Mhz ram that I had in it. ( I switched back to this set of 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz because I thought I might have a bad stick of ram). Turns out it was a different issue, Microsoft automatic Update system issue when power get cut off while it's updating. Don't try to update during a thunderstorm! :blush::crazyeye::lol:

I think that processor speed has much to do with EoT time. We both have 3.4GHz.
I would love to have an SSD to see if it would give any kind of speed up.
I do need to put back in the 16GB of DDR# 1600Mhz ram that I had in it.
SSD won't help the end turn times, faster RAM however, is quite important in that regard.
Faster CPU is the main thing though.

SSD won't help the end turn times, faster RAM however, is quite important in that regard.
Faster CPU is the main thing though.
The 2600k is an i7 (2nd gen) that is able to be overclocked up to 4.5Ghz "comfortably" with a good Cpu air cooled fan. It has reports of being able to do 5.0Ghz. I have never tried to do so though. Mobo front bus is limited to 1600Mhz DDR3 ram though.

We need to talk about how we are going to inform people about how to get at Caveman2Cosmos and its supported options and indeed which optional extras we do support.

Currently this thread's opening post says what C2C is and links to the download but it is probably getting a bit dated and it doesn't talk about the SVN version or the supported optional mods. How to get at the SVN version is on a different thread and the optional stuff is not mentioned.

I think there are three supported optional mods or at least should be:-
  1. long (animated) movies. This one is on the SVN and has been there since version 10 or so but is not mentioned anywhere. It was removed from the main mod to save space and reduce the download. The way it works is that it just contains the movies and they have the same name as the static versions defined in the XML, so basically it just over writes the files that come with the main download.

2. music from RockdrumsToRocknRoll by @Sword_Of_Geddon. This should be a supported mod in my opinion.

3. Extra Civs by @Sparth.
Are there any others?

One question we need to ask is how do we support such optional content? They are projects in them selves but are not part of the main C2C project. I tried the SVN branch idea with the movies mostly because it is too big to put i a file on these forums. Having them as part of C2C but optional will remind us that they need to tested with newer versions. Having them in the repository will give us a better way of versioning and mean that the content does not have to be tied to one person. I am having hard disc problems (again) and I am a bit paranoid about things only existing in one place;).

I assume we are going with download = release;SVN = beta and GIT = alpha

Hey I have a question.
Is the incremental healing effect provided by monks (military unit) and support units cumulative?
For example, if I have 20 wise women, do I get a +20% healing in that tile per turn?
I want to know because merged units take a long long time to heal.
No. Some changes to the way grouping works with that (somewhat) are intended - maybe not what you expect. However, 1 Wise Woman can usually only help heal one or two units in a tile, so one large grouped unit still only counts as 1 unit. Outside of that, it's intended to be one of the penalties to get you to consider not grouping as much as you can unless you absolutely have to.
If the healing effects are not cumulative, what is the point of first aid (people) promotions and first aid (animal) promotions for military units?

Hey I have a question.

If the healing effects are not cumulative, what is the point of first aid (people) promotions and first aid (animal) promotions for military units?
They are cumulative on the unit that takes them but only the most effective available healing unit will help to heal a unit, and each type of healing (such as people/animal/mechanical) independently tracks its own type of healing on the unit and the unit is only as healthy as it's least healed type.

Thus if you have a Mounted unit that has taken 20 damage, it has both 20 People and 20 Animal damage. As it heals, let's say it's healing 5 base per round based on the territory it's in. If a Healer helps with 5 pts of People healing, but there is no support for the animals in the unit, then the unit will still only be healed after 4 rounds, as if the healer wasn't even there to help, because although all the People damage is healed in 2 rnds (5 base +5 healing help), it takes 4 rounds for the animal side to heal.

Healers will help the most needy units they can apply themselves to first. When they have been able to contribute their healing help to as many units as their limit in a round, they no longer continue to help further units in that round.

@Joseph

Mem. 8gb, ddr4, 2400 Mhz
Graph. GTX 1060 - 3 Mb.

My turn time is similar here too: 2:30 on this save.
I wonder why on AI autoplay save there was huge turn processing speed difference, but on Joseph's save its much smaller compared to Toffer's computer.

Last edited:
My turn time is similar here too: 2:30 on this save.
I wonder why on AI autoplay save there was huge turn processing speed difference, but on Joseph's save its much smaller compared to Toffer's computer.
That's probably related to the CPU vs the RAM speed difference.
Saves where the turn time is very short will be dominated by the begin and end turn procedures while turn times that are long will be dominated by AI evaluations that happens in between. So short turn times does not really use the CPU as much as it access RAM to figure out that there is not so much to do, than when compared to long turn times where a lot of numbers are crunched in the CPU e.g. for unit pathing where the CPU doesn't have to wait for RAM to give it values as often as in other types of procedures.

My CPU ain't all that much faster than yours and Joe's are but my RAM speed is 3466 MHz which is more than 2 times faster than Joe's and almost three times faster than yours.
My CPU is 3.70/4.6GHz. Second clock number is Intel's boost mode which kicks in when needed.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Sounds\Buildings\nieznany artysta - Octopus Overlords Dink.mp3

C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Sounds\Buildings\nieznany artysta - Octopus Overlords Dink.mp3
You upload files by zipping and uploading file here, if forum doesn't accept this file directly.
No one can look into your computer.

That's probably related to the CPU vs the RAM speed difference.
Saves where the turn time is very short will be dominated by the begin and end turn procedures while turn times that are long will be dominated by AI evaluations that happens in between. So short turn times does not really use the CPU as much as it access RAM to figure out that there is not so much to do, than when compared to long turn times where a lot of numbers are crunched in the CPU e.g. for unit pathing where the CPU doesn't have to wait for RAM to give it values as often as in other types of procedures.

My CPU ain't all that much faster than yours and Joe's are but my RAM speed is 3466 MHz which is more than 2 times faster than Joe's and almost three times faster than yours.
My CPU is 3.70/4.6GHz. Second clock number is Intel's boost mode which kicks in when needed.

I need to overclock my 2700k to about 4.0Ghz. But that is going to take some video watching and trial and error testing as I've never done it before.

Just missed out on an i7 4770 rebuilt/refurbished comp on Ebay for $270.

I need to overclock my 2700k to about 4.0Ghz. But that is going to take some video watching and trial and error testing as I've never done it before.
Do you have a better air cooler than what is usually bundled with the CPU when you buy one?

The air cooler that intel bundles with their CPU's are not good enough to overclock with.

Spoiler example :
Something like this

What is usually bundled with intel CPU's looks something like this:

Last edited:
Do you have a better air cooler than what is usually bundled with the CPU when you buy one?

The air cooler that intel bundles with their CPU's are not good enough to overclock with.

Spoiler example :
Something like this

What is usually bundled with intel CPU's looks something like this:
I got the lower one. :(

I got the lower one. :(
Overclocking with an intel stock cooler like the lower one there will seriously reduce the lifespan of your CPU.
You may get away with a small overcklock, but know that every extra degree Celsius in your CPU will deteriorate its material at a faster rate.
The lifespan reduction per Celsius is exponential; so as long as your CPU never goes above 70 degrees it's lifespan won't become much shorter than if it never went above 50 degree. But when you get to 80-90 its total lifespan will start ticking down fast for each hour of being at that kind of temperature. So my recommendation is this, if the CPU is new, never overclock it so that its temperature goes over 70, if it's an old CPU, one that you intend to replace soon-ish, then you can push it further but don't overclock it to run above 80 degrees.

The degrees I'm talking about here are of course when your comp is at 100% CPU usage, not when it's idle.
Idle temperature, the temp it's at when you are at your desktop and not doing anything, should be significantly lower.
This is why it's important to test the overclocking with a CPU benchmark software to see the peak temperature at 100% CPU usage. Overclock in small steps and check the temp between each step is a typical procedure..

Spoiler more :
I had an i5 2500k, that I overclocked from 3.3GHz to 4.4GHZ, its temp at 100% usage was around 76 degrees Celsius, I had a good air cooling rig on it.
It worked fine for 5 years like that before it started making calculation errors, I then down-clocked it back to factory defaults and it worked well enough for 1 more year.
If I hadn't overclocked, it would probably have lasted twice that time. i5 2500k was also a particularly sturdy model, it was quite popular among overclockers for many years because of that.
All intel CPU's made after it use cooling paste between the chip and the metal top on the CPU (cooling paste inside the CPU), this paste deteriorate at high temperatures, while 2500k instead had the metal top soldered to the chip, one still needed cooling paste between the top of the CPU and the cooling rig though, but that is easier to replace when it gets old.
To overclock the newer chips to work at high temperature one need special tools to remove the metal top on the CPU (which instantly breaks the guarantee btw) to replace the cooling paste inside it with a better one, then one needs silicone glue to get the metal top back on again before mounting the CPU and having cooling paste between it and the cooling rig that is mounted on top of the CPU. To top it all off one needs to repeat this process once in a while because all cooling paste deteriorate relatively fast at temps above 70.

My point is mainly that one should be extra careful with the max temperature one accepts on these newer Intel CPU's as if you don't want to replace the paste inside the CPU, then your CPU won't last very long when the effectiveness of this paste goes down due to the temperature over time that it's exposed to.

AMD ryzen chips actually use soldering between the chip and the metal top of their CPU, so I guess they are quite popular among the overclocking enthusiasts, too bad Intel is superior when it comes to single core processing which is what we C2C folk really care about.

Last edited:
Well I can't afford to burn this cpu up, so no overclocking now. It is what it is then on game performance and EoT wait time for me.

EDIT: Geez my typing is Horrible! :(

Last edited:
I had an i5 2500k, that I overclocked from 3.3GHz to 4.4GHZ, its temp at 100% usage was around 76 degrees Celsius, I had a good air cooling rig on it.
It worked fine for 5 years like that before it started making calculation errors, I then down-clocked it back to factory defaults and it worked well enough for 1 more year.

Pushing the voltage to high to be able to reach high clock speeds is usally the cause of such degration problems. Only a few cpu's of each SKU are really good overclockers the rest needs higher voltages to reach the same clock speeds. With e.g newer intel cpu's it's possible to have memory controler degration after a few months because of the high io voltages some mainboards apply when using a xmp profile for memory oc.

My i7 2700K cpu at it's time was the intel cpu to overclock. There are reports of people who took it to 5,0Ghz and it ran well. Of course I bet that they had at least a water cooled system for the cpu.

Prehistoric era wasn't in previous SVN revision (11024).

You can see in SVN change log, that Nocturnalism sound/art was added in 11026 - this tech is part of prehistoric era revision.
Also tech infos was massively changed compared to previous SVN revision.
Ah I think it is only putting items in the changelog that are associated with github issues and pull requests, not normal commits. I will mess with the settings to see what can be done here.

Top Bottom