CCM1 (epic mod)

There is something coming very soon... :)

Attachments

• Ingame Help.jpg
    Ingame Help.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 21,868
Thank you all for your kind words. :) Samez, while looking at your video, I was summing the old christmas carol: "Einmal werden wir noch wach..."

Hi! How can I return to classic C3C terrain?
Without seeing a screenie of your installation, it's hard to say for sure.

Assuming you want to see the (original Firaxis) C3C-terrain in your CCM-installation (not sure why you would, but anyway... ;) ), and you installed CCM in the folder ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Scenarios\CCM\, then you should still have the original terrain .pcx files in your ...\Civilization3\Art\Terrain\ and ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Art\Terrain\ folders. If so, then you have 2 3 choices (AFAIK). Either you can copy all those original .pcx files into ...\Scenarios\CCM\Art\Terrain\, over-writing the existing (i.e. modded) files, or you can simply delete (EDIT: or rename — thanks Civinator!) the ...\Scenarios\CCM\Art\Terrain\ subfolder (which should force CCM to use the original ...\Terrain\ .pcx files instead).

If you are asking how to get the original terrain files back into your epic game, then it's a little more complicated, and depends on what you did to disable/ remove them in the first place.
Spoiler Restoring the original terrain files to the epic game :
If you did what I did, and simply copied/renamed the original ...\Art\Terrain\ folders as e.g. ...\Art\Terrain_FIRAXIS\ before adding the modded ...\Art\Terrain\ folders (I use sn00py's terrain, mostly), then all you have to do is reverse that: rename the current ...\Art\Terrain\ folders to e.g. ...\Art\Terrain_MOD\, and then rename the ...\Art\Terrain_FIRAXIS\ folders back to ...\Art\Terrain\.

But if you overwrote the original terrain files with modded terrain files, without first copying/renaming the original ...\Art\Terrain\ folders, then (AFAIK) the only way to restore the original files is to go back to your original disks (if you have them), and copy the ...\Art\Terrain\ .pcx files from there (if you can). However, if you have a downloaded version (e.g. from Steam), you might need to do a total uninstall/reinstall of the game.

The latter would possibly require additional steps, if you want to keep any games in progress, and/or have since added a lot of (other) mods to your Civ3 installation. At the very least, you would probably need to move some or all of the relevant folders (...\Civilization3\Saves\, ...\Civilization3\ptw\Saves\, and ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Saves\, and ...\Civilization3\Scenarios\, ...\Civilization3\ptw\Scenarios\, and ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Scenarios\) over to your desktop before you start the process, and then put them back afterwards.

Last edited:
The easiest way to use the original Civ 3/C3C terrain is to rename the folder terrain in the CCM\ Art folder to terrain1 (or something like that). In that case none of the CCM1 terrain folders is fitting and the game falls back to use the original terrain folders (the method tjs 282 described in the text in spoilers).

If you have boosted your C3C mainfile with CCM2, the folder Art even includes the original Civ 3 and C3C terrain named terrain-original. In that case with a text editor simply rename the folder terrain to terrain1 (or terrain-V or something like that) and rename the folder terrain-original to terrain.

Last edited:
Without seeing a screenie of your installation, it's hard to say for sure.

Assuming you want to see the (original Firaxis) C3C-terrain in your CCM-installation (not sure why you would, but anyway... ;) ), and you installed CCM in the folder ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Scenarios\CCM\, then you should still have the original terrain .pcx files in your ...\Civilization3\Art\Terrain\ and ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Art\Terrain\ folders. If so, then you have 2 3 choices (AFAIK). Either you can copy all those original .pcx files into ...\Scenarios\CCM\Art\Terrain\, over-writing the existing (i.e. modded) files, or you can simply delete (EDIT: or rename — thanks Civinator!) the ...\Scenarios\CCM\Art\Terrain\ subfolder (which should force CCM to use the original ...\Terrain\ .pcx files instead).

If you are asking how to get the original terrain files back into your epic game, then it's a little more complicated, and depends on what you did to disable/ remove them in the first place.
Spoiler Restoring the original terrain files to the epic game :
If you did what I did, and simply copied/renamed the original ...\Art\Terrain\ folders as e.g. ...\Art\Terrain_FIRAXIS\ before adding the modded ...\Art\Terrain\ folders (I use sn00py's terrain, mostly), then all you have to do is reverse that: rename the current ...\Art\Terrain\ folders to e.g. ...\Art\Terrain_MOD\, and then rename the ...\Art\Terrain_FIRAXIS\ folders back to ...\Art\Terrain\.

But if you overwrote the original terrain files with modded terrain files, without first copying/renaming the original ...\Art\Terrain\ folders, then (AFAIK) the only way to restore the original files is to go back to your original disks (if you have them), and copy the ...\Art\Terrain\ .pcx files from there (if you can). However, if you have a downloaded version (e.g. from Steam), you might need to do a total uninstall/reinstall of the game.

The latter would possibly require additional steps, if you want to keep any games in progress, and/or have since added a lot of (other) mods to your Civ3 installation. At the very least, you would probably need to move some or all of the relevant folders (...\Civilization3\Saves\, ...\Civilization3\ptw\Saves\, and ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Saves\, and ...\Civilization3\Scenarios\, ...\Civilization3\ptw\Scenarios\, and ...\Civilization3\Conquests\Scenarios\) over to your desktop before you start the process, and then put them back afterwards.
Thanks, but unfortunately renaming and overwriting files and folders didn't help. Perhaps I should try to get used to new CCM terrains. That's a pity. Liked the classic terrain very much.

@Civinator:

I realise you're probably not so concerned with supporting CCM1.8 anymore, but I think I might have just run into a problem with it in my current game, which (depending on how similar the 2 versions are) may also be repeated in CCM2. I was playing for the Moon-Landing Victory, but when I tried to build the Lunar Rover, I got a white-screen/hang on the interturn it should have completed (Space Walk was/is also due).

The commerce-phase worked fine (I finished my research on Adv.Computers), then when the build-phase begun, it should have taken me straight to Rome to announce the LR-completion and request a new build-project, but instead the game hung up like it was looking for something (but I got no crash-message, just Windows8.1's Spinning-Blue-Wheel-Of-Death for 30+ minutes, until I closed Civ3). The same thing happened again when I reloaded the save and ended the turn without doing anything differently.

So the second time I reloaded (today), I moved a few units round (the USA had landed some troops in former Scandinavia, so I killed a couple of units), and then turned 'Animate Battles' back on (it was previously turned off to get through busy turns a little faster). I also took the opportunity to go to the F1 screen when I completed Adv.Comp., and switched Rome to building the newly unlocked Internet GW instead. This time, the interturn ran through as expected (Space Walk finished without a problem); and the following turn was playable.

I've had a look at the Civilopedia.txt and pediacons.txt, and the LR-listings seem to be in order (as well as I can judge, but you're the expert here!). The LR art-files also appear to be correctly named and where they're supposed to be, so I'm not sure what's going on here (a file may be corrupted, but I don't know how I'd test that). I've attached the pre-crash savegame if you'd like to have look at it.

(FTR, I don't think this is the Houseboat Bug, but I don't have Gramphos'(?) MP-tool to check that, either)

Attachments

• Ruler of the Italians, 1963 AD.SAV
    1.1 MB · Views: 219
tjs282 thank you very much for your report. :) Unfortunately at present I cannot look on your save file, as I have another version of CCM1 on my pc. What you are describing seems to be a case of an AI unit pathfinding error. When CCM1 did start, there were a lot of 'freezes' resulting from AI pathfinding errors. To dim down these errors caused a delay in the release of CCM1 by nearly one year (among them such crazy things like attacking with a chariot an unit positioned on top of a mountain (without a road). Mostly when doing some actions different, the freeze didn´t happen any longer. Another reason could be that the AI tried to load or unload an immobile landunit on board of a ship. Here the protection against such an action of the AI will be improved in the next version of the CCM2 biq.

You have the multiplayer tool in the folder c3me of the CCM2 betatest download. At present I don´t restore the old version of CCM1 on my pc, as the danger of a mix-up of the different CCM files is to big (it still could have been happened in case of the CCM 1 download files).

Ok, lol, so I'm having a senior moment. Will someone kindly explain to this old man how I build a city on a desert tile?
Managed to get some down time for awhile, so getting back into CivIII. Still playing CCM 1 though, gratz on 2.
Will DL and check out under the hood after my current game.
Well done Civinator, glad your keeping this this wonderful game alive.

Hi Drakarska, and one more time thank you very much for your kind words about CCM. :)

You cannot build cities in the desert because I disabled this option in the editor:

Spoiler :

In an early prototype version of CCM2 I allowed cities in the desert and the tundra, but the AI loved to place starting positions of civs, especially the starting position of the human player, in very poor tundra positions and it is no fun to start a game in the desert or the tundra with no river and no resource in your neighbourhood. Therefore even in CCM2 these terrains are not enabled for building cities.

Attachments

• Desert-Cities.jpg
    Desert-Cities.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:
Ah, well that makes sense then.
Where do I find that rather spiffy editor that you have pictured above? I may want to try it out and have a bit of fun with it :D

Ah, well that makes sense then.
Where do I find that rather spiffy editor that you have pictured above? I may want to try it out and have a bit of fun with it :D

This is the standard editor coming with C3C. You can find it in your C3C mainfolder. But there are three things you have to take care of, when using that editor to change CCM:

1. Use the editor 1.00 coming with vanilla C3C -not the editor 1.03 (the version after the last C3C patch),
otherwise you will loose the ability to have scientific leaders.
2. When using that editor you have to readjust the game to 31 civs as it will automatically jump back to 24 civs.
3. You have to readjust the starting units to two settlers for every civ in the players´settings, as these settings will become lost for nearly all civs.

Edit: There is a much better editor available for C3C, the Quintillus' editor, that can be found here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cross-platform-editor-for-conquests-now-available.377188/

But this editor is better suited for experienced C3C modders, as with the settings possible with this editor you can really damage the game if not handled properly - and additionally you need java to start it.

Last edited:
Hmnn. Pity.
I have C3MT, but apparently it doesn't have that feature.
Is there another editor that is similar to C3MT, that will allow me to adjust the terrain? The reason I ask, is because I have all the patches updated, an am reluctant to go backwards.

Edit; I guess it would help if I actually read all that you stated in your response. My bad bro :)

Last edited:
Odd question for you Sir, if you do not mind.

My save folder for Conquests is not showing, just the auto save folder ( which is empty, despite that I have been playing, and it has auto-saved). Yet when I use C3MT, my save games are shown. Will you please explain this to me? and how to fix this?
I DL'd the editor you recommended from your above post, but am unable to use it do to no save folder showing, as well as no save games listed. Undoubtedly I am missing something obvious, but it has been awile, and would appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Top Bottom