1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CFC: Fastest Deity Science Victory

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Bangau, Sep 4, 2019.

1. ATEX

ATEX Warlord

@Minou fun that you are giving this game mode a chance. Like the all standard thread, Babylon or Norway is probably the fastest, but there are some alternative strats that should give very fast games. Some that would be hard to do in a all normal game. Portugal with max civs and double sets of trade routes from ss should give you 50 + trade routes. Or China with all ancient and classical wonders. Khmer for sure is able to do a mean voidsinger game. The same for Ethiopia and Russia. All in all many setups that should work. And finding the right setup and synergies in the tweaking is almost the most fun part.

2. Minou

Minou Prince

The Babylon game is going very well so far - I managed to snipe Religious Settlements on T19 by rushing Himoko and sending her first envoy to a nearby CS I was already Suzerain over thanks to Amani + first contact to get the 50f. Super fortunate I think, but I did stack the odds by banning civs like Khmer and Mali, so I'll take some credit for cooking the settings well.

Although I had played Barbarian Clans before I did not know you can sometimes get a tech boost from dispersing an outpost - I ran a quick test game because I actually had no idea how much faith Heroes cost to recall and wanted to test that before I continued my "cooked" HOF attempt I found it was 1000f, then 1340f, then 1840f - pretty darn expensive!). Anyway, while doing so, I ended up getting Military Engineering from dispersing an outpost in the test run! This makes Babylon slightly better with Barbarian Clans since they can score full techs instead of just 40% boosts. I am not at all sure how this works but I assume the odds are random and something lower than 50%....

Anyway now I am faced with a dilemma because I have a nearby outpost that is pretty well screened off from anyone else's meddling troops and I am not sure if it is smarter to clear it for Military Tradition boost and possible a free tech or let it grow into a city state that I should get a free first contact envoy for. I bought one Barbarian Horseman from it but it still says 50+ turns so it must be growing super slow (all 1 food tiles around it, I heard food somehow scales to the spped of "civilization" but haven't found the actually formula yet).

When I ran a test map of Islands and Continents and just revealed all on turn 5 most of the outposts seemed to be on islands or in the far north. I hope I can get to them for boosts or to meet the CS they become before Kupe does. Probably need to replace him with a different AI next game.

Bangau and Casualty of war like this.
  3. KKirrin

KKirrin Chieftain

Oooh, might have to jump in on this with the new modes. Seems like corporations is used...do you guys not have an issue accidentally winning culture with that on? I’d prob be playing Peter, spent like 3 months trying to go sub 100 on Babylon without modes and totally killed my desire to play

as an aside, apocalypse mode is also doable if you’re patient enough and willing to reload as disasters are reset like huts/meets on a random action—ie if you leave a scout squatting on a hut or a barb and you get wrecked by a blizzard etc, you can reload and pop the hut or whack the barb the turn before to remove the disaster

that’s probably too tedious for full-blown apoc mode but it would def allow you to set disasters to 3 or something with good yields and almost zero negatives if anyone wants to go that far

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021 at 8:52 AM
  4. ATEX

ATEX Warlord

Well you cant reload if you are posting it here, but for a non-HOF-game it will work. Great Bath cheesing might even be doable? I never checked if it would be fast enough. Anyways there should be some setups that will work with disasters. Rapa nui on a volcano map maybe? Im trying a Ethiopia game with Maui now. You can tweak it so that the you know pretty much what resources he will provide. It gives some interesting results. Will post a turn 100 status, and if its good enough, I will probably finish the game.

5. KKirrin

KKirrin Chieftain

Yeah I know not to post non hof games here, that’s why my write ups have always been in other threads, just curious how far things can actually be taken with totally optimal settings + perfect turns, still useful for data. Kinda sad that no matter what we do though pillaging is gonna outshine everything, even a game that’s compulsively save scummed

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021 at 12:13 PM
  6. ATEX

ATEX Warlord

I have wondered the same. A sub 100 is within reach for Babylon even without tweaking and game modes I think. But it gets a bit boring to pillage for hours and hours. Right now peacefull games are just more interesting. Finding a good setup for a game when you can tweak everything is very fun, and reminds me a bit of drafting in DOTA.

7. Bangau

Bangau Prince

sometimes giving away your great works is necessary... :lol:

8. Minou

Minou Prince

Well, I blew my great start be making a bunch of dumb mistakes. May have to make a second attempt.

I was wondering what people think about Shuffle with Babylon? It seemed risky to me. You could in theory luck out and get EE and SWF in the first row of Civics for quicker governors, and also could in theory get Political Philosophy as your 4th Civic (versus 6th minimum in normal games). But, it seems just as likely that PP gets stuck behind multiple Classical Civics or just hidden so that you don't even know which Civic to complete to unlock it, slowing you down. The same seems to be true of other key Civics like Mercenaries, Feudalism, or ones that unlock Governments - progress to your target is more likely to be slowed than sped up when you factor in the uncertainty.

On the tech side of it, I can see the appeal of maybe being able to get Rocketry faster. Right now I think you have to boost Flight, Replaceable Parts, and Steam Power to unlock Radio (unless you are super fast in culture) and Chemistry (I don't think this is ever possible fast enough to boost itself). In theory you could skip Radio and Chemistry (and some of those pre-reqs) entirely to get Rocketry quicker. But it could also get stuck behind techs like Nuclear Fusions and slow you down.

The one thing I was not sure about is whether Shuffle lets you have a chance that Offworld Mission is NOT the second to last tech in the tree (though the pre-reqs may make this more or less impactful than it seems at a glance.)

Casualty of war likes this.
  9. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Prince

Shuffle with Babylon is a gamble. Sometimes you're 3 Civics to Political Philosophy, sometimes 11! Sometimes you tech Rocketry before Flight, sometimes you can't find it on the tree after 120 Turns. And sometimes Offworld Mission shows up early.

Digging Robert Goddard out of the mix is glorious, because then you get Rocketry no matter where it is on the tree. 2 Broadcast Centers, an Aluminum Mine and you have plenty of things to do until you can find the last necessary techs.

10. Minou

Minou Prince

Have you been able to recruit Goddard on fast games? I have a hard enough time just getting Da Vinci. I do love the new card that gives +4GE points and +2 more for each Workshop, but I have pretty much given up on post-Industrial Great People since they jacked up the cost. I truly hate how the cost scales because there are some very interesting late game Great People that were added in NFP and I have never gotten any of them.

I am still learning how Heroes, Barbarian Clans, and Corporations work but oh my goodness Himoko is disgusting! I basically start every game with the plan to bounce Amani around until I find her and then just use two city states to round up a dozen 29CP (Himoko+Oligarchy) Warriors and start rolling. It's super powerful because you don't have to pay the levy cost or even build any supporting units so you can use your production and gold to expand and build infrastructure while the wars go on.

Someone mentioned the danger of accidental CV with these modes. I think it might be possible to just avoid most Monopolies by not connecting more than one of each luxury (though CS may "help" you by giving more and only worrying about the strongest Industries (e.g. never build the ones for unit construction or growth boosts). Killing off AIs lowers global tourism too, and you can pick the most culturally advanced AI to gift some GWs to. If I ever finish a game with these modes I will report back on how much of a problem tourism really ends up being.

11. ATEX

ATEX Warlord

I think for a hof game shuffle should almost always be bad. Too much risk. For the first hero Anansi is also quite powerful. At least for a peaceful game. Getting that fast culture is so vital. Himoko is of course fun as well, and an easy way to explore fast.