Choosing a mayor for our first city.

donsig

Low level intermediary
As governor of our first province I'm authorized to set up local governments. We will have our first city on the first turn or two so we might as well go ahead and pick a mayor for our capitol city. Since it will be our only city we are all eligible to vote for mayor. I'll put up a poll in a couple days but in the meantime here's a thread where we can ask the candidates questions and they can enlighten us with their platforsm.

The candidates so far are:
  • billybones27
  • civplayah
  • truckingpete

If anyone else wants to run please let it be known at the Governor's Rock.

Here are a couple questions to get the candidates thinking:
  • How would you make the city thread special?
  • How would you determine the will of the people for the city's build queue?

Citizens are welcome to post questions for the candidates. Let the debate begin and good luck to all candidates.

How I would make the city thread special is putting it into an RP perspective. You know, telling a story while giving the info. Because I find it personally hard to read those threads. But if it was RPish, then that may persuade people to read it.

As for determining the will of the people, I would have polls in the city thread, ie "Should this city build [insert wonder here]" or people could just name what they want the city to build next.

To make the city thread special my layout would have a picture of the wonderful city of course. It would be of the city and the zoomed in view of the city. I would then have links to important discussion threads about the city like polls and etc. The city thread doesn't need to be all business though, RPish is nice just like civplayah said, but if you dont want to go RPish, then just post normal. I would also update the pictures and thread after every turnchat when I get time...(we all have lives right?:cool:)

To decide the build queue, I would make polls for the citizens to decide. (I believe the Governor gets the final say...am I correct?) So I would post what the people want to build in the Governors Rock and then he can decide what he can do...

But thats all I have

RPish does make for a more interesting office, civplayah, but not many people check there. the thread will contain more detailed plans to the city than the ariel view, including military positions. it will also hold the nation and municipal crests, and heated debates :D, and maybe have with links to RPG buildings (such as a coat shop or the likes)

As for the queues, polls as [4th in build queue will be filled with 1. Spearman 2. Swordsman 3. Temple etc.], and as requested/needed by the executive branch.

RPish does make for a more interesting office, civplayah, but not many people check there.
I think the suggestion was to have a city thread in the government (or citizen's) subforum, which would contain the info and discussions to manage the city. The information would be presented in a pseudo story format instead of technical civ game terms. For example instead of talking about tiles worked, talk about sending our workforce to the farms, or the mines etc.

I wish I had time to be a Mayor again.

A city thread would go in the Government sub-forum before it would go in the Citizen's sub-forum. I don't have a problem with the City threads being posted in the RPG sub-forum at all. That's where the real stories take place. A Mayor can post in the Governor's thread with information, if necessary. I'm all for in-character Mayor threads. :thumbsup:

I think the suggestion was to have a city thread in the government (or citizen's) subforum, which would contain the info and discussions to manage the city. The information would be presented in a pseudo story format instead of technical civ game terms. For example instead of talking about tiles worked, talk about sending our workforce to the farms, or the mines etc.

Yeah, exactly like that!

To decide the build queue, I would make polls for the citizens to decide. (I believe the Governor gets the final say...am I correct?) So I would post what the people want to build in the Governors Rock and then he can decide what he can do...

The will of the people has the final say. As governor I would not step in and override the what the mayor says to do. I prefer to trust the mayor to do the proper job and to trust the citizens of the city to keep the mayor in line. Elected officials are subject to recall according to our laws and this would include mayors. Mayors would have to post instructions in the Governor's Rock thread and then I'd consolidate them and post them in the proper instruction thread.

And, yes, there should be a city thread in government sub-forum though having something in the RP forum as well is fine. I also envision discussions from time to time in the citizens forum and polls in the poll forum.

So does this mean you intend to poll your build queue for each turn chat?. If not the final build queues, what specifically are you intending to poll to let the citizens decide?

So does this mean you intend to poll your build queue for each turn chat?. If not the final build queues, what specifically are you intending to poll to let the citizens decide?

K, so I would make a suggested build queue..or a few of them...and have them vote for those options. But if the people want something different, then I can gladly change it.

Here's and example (key word: example):

Option 1:
1. Warrior
2. Warrior
3. Settler
4. Spearman (if researched by then)
5. Walls

Then I take that basic layout and then make option 2:

Option 2:
1. Warrior
2. Walls
3. Warrior
4. Settler
5. Spearman

then you could keep going until you get all the options...I would post how many turns it would take to from the saved game.

But it would be nice just to have a discussion thread after each turn chat for the citizens to make their own options, then make a poll and vote which ones they want.

Is that answer your question....I suck at answering questions lol:goodjob:

Good answer truckingpete. It is important to have a build queue in place and not just concentrate on what we are currently building.

Here's a question for all candidates: Assuming there is a build queue in place, how would you handle changes that needed to be done?

Question:

How many turns out or tasks do you typically plan to generate build queues for?

@donsig- If the change is going to war and needing more military, and the queue if full of non-essential war buildings, I would switch off all the non-essential peaceful buildings to military units and military buildings. If our economy is down, then I will switch off of buildings with high maintenance and build markets, courthouses, and other things similar to that. And so on with other situations.

@DS- It depends on what exactly that situation is. I will generally listen to the departments as long as the people support their idea. The only other time that I won't listen to the departments is when the situation could be handled easier in another city.

@ Falcon- Most tasks. Queues keep everyone posted on what the city is building, so if they can't find it in the thread they can just look in the save.

I have a question; How do you take screenies in [civ3]?

Here's a question for all candidates: Assuming there is a build queue in place, how would you handle changes that needed to be done?

Changes if meaning by if we all of a sudden acquire let's say Pottery. That means we can build a granary...currently let's say we're building a...warrior and is almost done. If the majority of the people in the turnchat want to change it to the granary, then its fine with me. I must admit, I probably wont make it too a lot of turnchats, it all depends if I have school the next day and how late it is at night, and I am busy during the days also with work sometimes....

Question:

At times, the various departments will make requests to build things that contribute to national goals. How will you handle those requests?

If they really push for it, I say heck ya, let's go for it. but once again it's the people. So if we are going for a cultural victory and need to build a temple, then I say build the temple if the people want to. That's if we are going for the cultural victory.

Question:

How many turns out or tasks do you typically plan to generate build queues for?

Each turnchat is 10 turns if I remember correctly right? We need for sure at least something that will cover 10 turns. but it would be nice to go a little over that for the next turnchat, it's easy where we left off. Then before each turnchat, if need be, just add a few more things. But we dont want to get too ahead of ourselves, lots can happen you know if very few turns!

1st question:

The suggested changes will be posted in the government thread, and if a majority supports the change after say, 2 or 3 days, then the change will be implemented.

2nd question:

If the majority of the Assembly and Departments agree, those changes will be handled at once.

3rd question: Hopefully to have rough sketches for 15-20 turns, but only etch them in stone within 1-3 project(s) away.

I have a question; How do you take screenies in [civ3]?

I just press the "Print" key (on my keyboard it is to the right of the F-keys). Whatever is then on the screen will be copied to the clipboard. Then I open Paint, copy the screenshot in there and save it. Now there are certainly different ways to take screenshots, but this one is easy and therefore I do it so. Just be sure to have at least one other application running when you're playing Civ3 so you can change to that application via Alt+Tab and then get to the normal desktop.

Now I just hope you are not using a Mac, because I have no idea at all how to do it there! :confused:

There is also a program called "Fraps" which you can use to set up a hot key that will instantly save it to a file when you hit a key (I typically have it set to "Print Screen," same one that will put it in the clipboard).

You can then open the image in paint, GIMP or other editor to reduce the size, crop, and do any other edits you want on it.

I'm still using 20/20 from Civ3 DG1. :) If it ain't broke...

Top Bottom