Cities: Skylines - Paradox Interactive Makes A SimCity

He paused it a lot when I was watching, even commented on pausing it too much at one point. Quill was definitely min-maxing a bit, but he was also experimenting with different highways which was neat.

To be fair I may have turned on in the run up to his death spiral when he had been playing for a long time and was becoming over-focused on reaching his population-goal.

Since I haven't watched Quill develop his city, to those who watched his stream, what were the mistakes he did? My impression from reading posts and comments elsewhere such as reddit was that he let pollution build up too much (particularly water pollution) and a terribly designed transportation system.

I've already got a few greyscale maps I'm going to be fiddling around with in the map editor. For one, I took a greyscale of a Hong Kong map that was up on Simtropolis and edited it so the coast line wouldn't go straight down. It'll probably need tweaks later when I actually get it in there but I think I got a good setup for the time being.

Why oh why did this have to released in the busiest week of my year so far? I played for half an hour a moment ago, but I had to quit or risk getting no work done at all this evening! Seems really fun based on my first impressions.

Looks like it's being recieved extremely well, currently the highest rated current PC game on metacritic* both critic and user scores by quite a margin. I was almost scared all the hype and pre-orders after the week of streams & lp's could backfire. Extremely smart marketing and pricing around this release.

I'm just about to fire it up for the first time to do a basic city before I hope to get going on making a map of the Inner Oslofjord, back when SC2000 was new my father recreated the whole region which blew my mind as a child.

*Yes, yes, I know. Metacritic blech.

THE HYPE IS REAL FOLKKKSSSSSS - well, anyways, it's currently the third most played game on steam at 60k (behind Dota 2 at 550k and Counterstrike at 387k), has pretty much only positive reviews from all reviewers (89 on metacritic right now). I think this thing is beating all of PI's previous records.

Granted, a lot of it is because of disappointment/anger in regards to SC2013, but no matter, pretty impressive for a 9 man team.

Thankfully I've managed to scrape together enough money to get myself a better computer, but I won't be able to get it running until about a week, so I will have to wait impatiently. :(

Very interesting by the looks of it. From what I've read and seen it starts very simple and gets more complex at a reasonable pace.
And the timing is a huge unintentional FU to Maxis and EA.

And lo and behold, from the ashes of Maxis, the phoenix of city building games rose again... :p

I tested out the game on my computer, and to my surprise despite being hilariously below minimum requirements the game still managed to run it at butt-lowest settings at ~10 fps average. Not exactly good, of course, but fps isn't as important for city builders and I was able to get a good feel of the game - I'll test the game on my brothers pc later tonight as it is slightly more powerful, and hopefully I'll get my new computer ready within a week.

Anyways, I played a little under an hour, and managed to get a little town up and running. my impressions so far are that we got exactly what the hype and advertising said we'd get. You have to makes use you start slowly as it's easy to start losing money if you expand too fast and/or don't know basic city builder tricks. The asset editor in particularly is a really nice tool too, seems to allow for a lot of possinilities even if you're not that much of a talented modder.

EDIT:

And here are my crap quality screenshots, yay:

Spoiler :

Can't escape him even in CS
Spoiler :

Looking down at my town from way up high
Spoiler :

Asset editor
Spoiler :

Main road
Spoiler :

Something something
Spoiler :

I really can't wait to get my new computer up soon, this gonna be great - I think I finally have something other than TES to play. ^^

Yeah, as it happens I had to get a new one over the weekend, which is both good and bad for this (good because my computer can take it, bad because it'S a hole in mah budget).

I was going to laugh at cybrxkhan but the min specs are a lot higher than I thought they would be and the recommended are actually pretty demanding, wowzas.

^Are you talking about the long line of cars? If so I think it may be a thing with the simulation, apparently the way the game calculates routes causes that sometimes. Unlike the traffic issues SimCity 2013 had when it was first released the traffic is still smarter, thankfully, and it isn't as bad but I dunno how to fix it. If you're having issues with traffic I've heard that investing in large-scale public transportation helps. EDIT: A better designed road network can also help too

Also, how the heck did you get your ramps so pretty and perfect? They're so difficult. ;_;

Spoiler :

My first thoughts, need to keep those lines more cleanly separated. The circle with a question mark is meant to indicate that if this one-way road solution results in traffic having to go right when they want to go left etc. then a roundabout might be a good solution here. EDIT noticed I put the arrows the wrong way. :hammer2: Works the same anyway.

I'm loving the game, played for over 5 hours but only got to 1000 population babby town because I can't stop just sitting around looking at things.

A few more screenshots of what I managed today before I head to bed:

For my second city, I downloaded a Constantinople/Istanbul map on the workshop and tried it with my brother's PC. His PC ended up CTD'ing for some reason, so I lost my progress sadly. At least I managed to make a crappy highway exit ramp thingy.
Spoiler :

Here's the mini-park mod from my earlier set of screenshots, this time in-game in my third city (next to a 1x1 park I downloaded off steam workshop). Works like a charm. The people in-game interact with the park wonderfully.
Spoiler :

And my third city, based off a steam workshop map of Naples.
Spoiler :

Well, I had plenty of fun today for the first game I've bought and really enjoyed for the first time in a year or two. Unfortunately as my current rig is really old and low-end, while the game is playable at the moment I'm certain my machine will pretty much explode once I have a large enough of a population, so I think I'll have to wait about a week or two for my new one, but I guess that's a wait I can bear through. :(

Top Bottom