City States Leaders for BNW [WIP Icon contribution hread]

I meant inside of the mod. Also facing some minor bugs in the mod itself. I think you can get the idea by looking at some of the pictures:

Spoiler :

I think I've fixed the extra "leader says," but the height of the popup is a tougher issue.

knightmare13, your vertical resolution is a bit low. Notice that popup without the mod fills most of your screen. I'm going to have to make a non-compatible version for lower resolutions. (This one is pure Lua, and therefore shouldn't cause conflicts with mods that change this popup). Or I suppose I could release a version with smaller toppers.

[At the risk of taking our collective eye off the ball...]

I think knightmare13's Wadiya city state is lonely, so I propose rounding him out with some more comedy movie places. If you're inspired to help, here are some ideas:
place leader source
Wadiya Sacha Baron Cohen as Admiral General Haffaz Aladeen "The Dictator" (2012)
Zamunda Eddie Murphy as Prince Akeem Joffer "Coming to America" (1988)
Florin Chris Sarandon as Prince Humperdinck "The Princess Bride" (1987)
San Marcos Woody Allen as President Fielding Mellish "Bananas" (1971)
Parador Richard Dreyfuss (as Jack Noah) as President Alphonse Simms "Moon Over Parador" (1988)
Genovia Julie Andrews as Queen Dowager Clarisse Renaldi "The Princess Diaries" (2001)
Camelot ('Tis a silly place) Graham Chapman as King Arthur "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (1975)
Lost Planet of Magrathea Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (2005)

I also came up with some fantasy locations for city states. See the new thread I created. I figure I'd get more takers for those than boring old real-life places, but even so, I think the standards of "Firaxis-like" can be relaxed for these.

The above thread also seemed like a good place to have general mod support icon submissions.

I'm afraid that's the nature of the beast with a community art project. I think we all have the secret hope that janboruta will come along and do this whole thing right, but in the meantime this is a start. None of the art is set in stone; in fact much of it has been explicitly labelled a placeholder by the contributing artist.

As much as I'd love to devote myself completely to Civ art (again), I won't be able to do it for quite some time. As for now, I'm dealing with depression (shameful display) and am contemplating making some changes in my life, which include taking a year (or two) off of school and developing myself and my art into a brand, sort of. Also, I have a big project I'll need to get finished by mid-to-late January, so I won't be doing a lot of side stuff.

But I promised to provide some more icons for you guys, and I will deliver - please just be patient and give me time (this may be a flaw of my nature, but I believe that the slow and steady wins the race). But I've got to admit, I'm genuinely impressed by progress some of you have made here in this thread. :) I don't think all placeholder images will have to be replaced, but if possible, we should focus on maximum quality possible.

...I'm dealing with depression (shameful display)...
Shameful? :rolleyes: As someone with a couple dozen depressive episodes under his belt, I really mean it when I say don't worry about it.

Good luck; hope to see you back soon! :)

Sukritact and Leugi:
Why don't you just put your leaders behind and/or overlapping this circle?

The attached PSD version includes a background circle that I use as a clipping mask, but the shadows and filters look slightly off when you try to load the PSD in Gimp, so I figure I'd share a PNG version too:

Attachments

• Circle BNW PSD.zip
    117.3 KB · Views: 217
As much as I'd love to devote myself completely to Civ art (again), I won't be able to do it for quite some time. As for now, I'm dealing with depression (shameful display) and am contemplating making some changes in my life, which include taking a year (or two) off of school and developing myself and my art into a brand, sort of. Also, I have a big project I'll need to get finished by mid-to-late January, so I won't be doing a lot of side stuff.

Sorry to hear you're going through a bad time; happens to the best of us. I personally can't thank you enough for the work you've provided for some of my mods, and the community as a whole. I'm sure everyone agrees to take as much time as you need, and wish you the best with your personal projects.

Hey there! Sorry for the (incredibly huge) delay!... but I have updated the icons with the circle thing, and going outside:

And you can have this psd file with all of them.

I been messing with my Icons lately and I just discovered that saturation and lightness gives more life to the art, so I thought that maybe i should re-upload the leader portraits.
Spoiler :

Colombu

Spoiler :

Ormus

Spoiler :

Hanoi

Spoiler :

Almaty

Spoiler :

Mombasa

Spoiler :

Monaco

Spoiler :

This thread probably has more visibility than the one hiding in the Mod Components subforum...

I haven't gotten any feedback on the new betas, and I'd like some reports before I pull the trigger on releasing them to the Workshop and backporting the other versions [Note that for the vanilla version, I can revise the excellent icon from Hypereon's Finnish Civ for Helsinki (assuming he gives his blessing), but I still need something for Dublin (Scratch that, I did one myself: )]
Spoiler :

After all your hard work, I want to finally get this thing out the door!

v 7 beta 2 has been uploaded. See the first post.

It would be nice not to have to maintain 2 versions, but it looks like I'm going to have to, since I apparently can't seem to get something that works well for everyone...

The "new" compatible version is basically beta 1 (to the point of missing many of the subsequent pic updates). As with beta 1, you need at least 1000 pixels of vertical real estate or it overflows the screen. And it still sometimes gives the "leader says" message multiple times.

The full version doesn't take up as much vertical space and supports the More CS and Ynaemp CS mods using the pics from the G+K version.
(Plus, since I've broken apart the topper components, it makes my job so much easier to backport to vanilla and G+K--not to mention maintaining the separate Flags version--However, I can't do the same thing with the compatible version...)

I'm using the compatible version and it still says "Leader says".

Yeah, beta 1 WAS the compatible version. What behavior were you expecting?

By the way, I just figured out the bug in my Lua re: preventing multiple leader says.

Skipped that part :)

I'll install this new version then.

Version 7 beta 3 uploaded (including Flags versions).

Spoiler Screenshot :

I think that all I have left to do is clean up the art in the compatible version...

EDIT: And maybe figure something out for the first greeting popup for those using the compatible version with Enhanced UI (subsequent popups work fine)... Note the full version works for both popups, but reverses the changes EUI makes to those popups.

Please let me know if you get any more of the multiple "leader says" in the compatible version.

And now with the advent of my Philippines mod we'll need a leader for Taipei :p

At the moment, the CS Mods art pack includes a simple portrait of Chiang Kai-shek for More CS and CS Expansion support, and I've already included support to use it instead of Jose Rizal's when your Philippines mod is active. ;)

If you want to make something better, that's what the CSL mod support thread is all about!

Hey hey, just wanted to revive this thread. I'm really enjoying playing with this mod - but the main issue that comes up is that a lot of the icons have different styles and range from god-tier quality icons from jan, to "ehh"-tier icons from yours truly.

Taking inspiration from the GoT mod, I've started to homogenize the icons - by essentially making them all using the same template provided by Sukritact. Here are some I've done so far - those who can guess which belongs to which gets a well earned pat on the back.

Anyway, does anyone want to join me on this grand quest?

Top Bottom