1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

That is what I mean.

Brazil (for example) has been around for fourish G&K eras (Industrial -> Information) while civs like Egypt barely managed two.

2. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

soooo.... a great civ must be one that survive through the ages and not their accomplishments? :crazyeye:

3. Peacemongerer

Peacemongerer Prince

Zulu sound like an obvious choice for an African civ since they were in previous civs anyway. The Kongo would be my next choice for an African civ.

I'm thinking maybe add 1 or 2 more native american civilizations plus the Zulu and Kongo. My suggestions would be the Souix, Cherokee or maybe Inuits possibly.

If there's gonna have to be another European civ, I'd have to go Portugal. They've been in previous civs and they have a wide range of possible UAs and UUs/UBs to choose from.

4. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

5. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Both, IMO. Hence a country like Brazil rather than somewhere like Monaco.

6. tekkonkinkreet

tekkonkinkreet Chieftain

I agree that Haiti is an interesting option - but they seem like an Ethopian style Civ, able to take on much larger empires (France, UK, Spain).

Canada seems a tad silly, but now that they have a wonder in the game... why not?

7. Liex

Liex King

I guess most Brazilians would rather Brazil over the Tupi simply because we relate better to the former than the latter. It's like the Tupi (and other natives) tells only 1/3 of the story.

Also, Brazilians and people from elsewhere know more about Brazil than about the Tupi, and that counts a lot. Some may not want Brazil included for specific reasons (too recent, not a global power and some other arguments we often hear, which have their merits and flaws), but a lot of people never even heard of the Tupi.

And in fact Brazil has more recorded history and potential unique features than the Tupi or any other local indigenous people. Surely the Tupi could be designed as an original and cool-to-play-with civilization, but I fear they'd probably end up with some boring UA like "+X food, production, whatever from Jungle tiles" and a random "Jungle Warrior" or "Archer" as UU...

Another possibility is to mix them, giving Brazil an indigenous UU, for instance. But I really don't see that happening. On the other hand, giving Brazil a Sambodrome UB (or any other kind of Carnival feature) would be a nice way to depict the country's cultural synthesis, including not only the Indigenous heritage, but also the African and European.

8. tonberry

tonberry Emperor

Something I’d like to say about the choice of civ. No matter how many argument one can make for the inclusion of any civ, many seem to forget that Civilization is a game and that fun and variety can trump any arguments you can make.

Take the Inuit for example. They aren’t a very influencial civilizations and I would be hard-pressed to name a leader for them. Yet, their inclusion would be cool. A civ that would thrive in snow and tundra, with dog sled as chariot replacement and a unique improvement related to fish. It would be different and interesting.

9. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

What are you talking about? Asia has tons of representation from all over the continent.

The Ottomans
    Persia
    Arabia
    India
    Russia
    China
    Mongolia
    Japan
    Korea
    Siam

These civilizations are not all clustered into the far east. What part of central Asia do you think is missing? The rest of the Arab countries or the former Soviet countries? Would new civs representing those areas be different enough from existing ones?

I'm with you on the islands lacking representation. I guess the Majapahit is fine.

EDIT: Fixed the quote tag. It was broken because the post that I quoted was broken. Thanks, hobbsyoyo.

10. Petiscator

Petiscator King

As Brazil. While most of you guys don't consider them as a civilization (partially, I agree), it is my own country and I would love to see them represented at the monarchy fase (as Dom Pedro II). The Tupis only cover the natives, leaving our consolidated country out.

11. Petiscator

Petiscator King

(making another post because I didn't read the whole tread ><)

While I would love to see Brazil (and not, say, Tupi) in game, I feel like Portugal deverves a lot more. We came from them, they were the first national monarchy of the whole europe (IIRC), made awesome navigation discoveries and I really preffer them rather than seeing my country represented as a bunch of naked women dancing, or "sambando". Using anything mildly related to soccer for Brazil is offensive for me. Same for carnival.

For that and other reasons, I would like to see an empire-aged Brazil, with Dom Pedro II, Bandeirantes and maybe the Casas de Fundiçao (before the empire, Brazil had these to make sure people would pay the taxes, as a lot of people weren't paying). Using a modern Brazil is not really adequate... I don't know, it feels weird to see them side by side with Egypt or England.

Finally, I wouldn't like to mix tupi's units and brazilian units. I don't know, it should be focused, you either make a true native civ or a true brazilian civ, not mix them over and say "hey you guys, lets play with this native or brazilian civ, I don't know which!". It would be nice to se the Majapahit, Zulu OR Congo, Portugal, Poland and Canada in game, but if they ever appear, why not putting Brazil as well?

12. Byrsa Suffet

Byrsa Suffet Chieftain

Wow! There’s some extreme passive-aggressive Canada bashing going on in this thread. As I actually am a Canadian I feel the need to intervene on my nation’s behalf (with good humour of course, and without being too political with my colleagues south of the 49th). I would certainly have thought that even a superficial understanding of Canadian heritage and culture would have yielded better suggestions, so here are a couple of my own (with a—hopefully—informative explanation):

UU: RCMP; replaces cavalry, has no movement penalty on forests or hills and adds +1:) when garrisoned in a city.

The RCMP were originally formed to provide law and order across the Northwest Territories (then most of Western Canada) and the Yukon as well as keeping American Whiskey traders off our land (see Manifest Destiny)

UU: Canadian Light Infantry; replaces GW Infantry, has +1 Strength and +25% bonus when attacking from or to a hill.

During the later years of WWI, the Canadian Infantry were known as the premier shock troops of the allies (entente) and were sent to battlegrounds where British and French troops had failed to make ground, most notaby Vimy Ridge

UA: “Land of Untold Riches;” Tundra tiles provide an additional +1:c5production:, improved Uranium and Oil resources provide double yield. (This one may be a little overpowered).

Canada has large cities and permanent settlements well north of what most might consider ‘hospitable’ and with countless resource developments occurring in every corner of the country Canada is the number 1 producer of uranium used for atomic energy generation in world, and has the second largest known oil reserves in the world, behind Saudi Arabia (whether or not you agree with oil sands extraction or not).

Flag-waving aside, my personal preference vis-à-vis Civilizations is for older, more ancient ones (original peoples), and Canada, Australia, Brazil, Argentina, etc. don’t fit that bill. That said I also find it pretty hokey that America is a playable Civilization, considering like the others, they’re a former colony in the context of other Civilizations (England, Netherlands, Spain, even Sweden originally colonized PA).

Personally, I’d like to see as DLC the Phoenicians, though they are well represented as City-States, considering their ancient interactions with Greece, Rome, and Babylon; the Sumerians, the founders of agriculture and the first cities, eventually succumbing to Babylon; and even Israel/Judah, also represented as a City-State, but formed a major faction in the ancient near east, though there are obvious political limitations to including Israel. Even the Etruscans could be fun?

Anyway, those are my two cents, eh!

13. Tavenier

Tavenier King

Maybe the master of orion way. Give every civ 10 points to spend on enhancements, And get some more points for getting negatives, like -10 percent growth gives you another 2 points to spend.

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

@Kwami's last post
    Something is going on with your quote there. It shows up as attributed to El Caballerion when PhilBowles actually wrote it. I think you mistyped or something, hope it wasn't intentional.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I don't know anything about Master of Orion, but I'm pretty sure they singled that out in PolyCast as a bad example of this kind of mix and match mechanic. Not 100% sure, have to go back and relisten.

16. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

OK, you can have Canada if it comes with Mounties. But your UB has to be igloos! Or maybe hockey rinks...

17. Byrsa Suffet

Byrsa Suffet Chieftain

I can't deny igloos and hockey rinks crossed my mind, though including igloos might be a bit culturally insensative up here.

18. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Yeah, but fortunately, Firaxis is down here. Besides, they could just say that it's a tribute to some of the native tribes!

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You have mounties to stop our manifest destiny? Don't you know that all your bases are belong to us?

20. Liex

Liex King

I'd like to see the Imperial Brazil as well. Big fan of Dom Pedro II, and by its final decades the county was living its Golden Age. But I don't think the Republican Brazil would be that weird; it'd only need a XX century leader, Getúlio Vargas for instance, who was contemporary of Haile Selassie I.

About the Sambodrome, I comprehend your negative view on it (believe me, I do hate that whole Carnival week), but I guess it doesn't really matter to the game. We can't deny it's a central element of our culture, and to say it's only about naked woman dancing is an unfair oversimplification. Also, it's an Brazilian "unique feature" that stands out internationally and could be easily adapted for the game's purposes. (Here are some suggestions I wrote sometime ago)

About Portugal, I'm sure we'll see them soon or later, regardless of everything.