Civ 5 Design Challenge IV - History/Eras

That was quite an interesting choice for a challenge. I certainly learned quite a bit from my research, but it was pretty tough because of those darn Qin burning everything! Here is my finished product, the Zhao state.
Zhao (Wuling)

UA: Hufu Reforms - Clearing Barbarian encampments generates :c5science: science towards military technologies. Units that clear encampments may gain a promotion that varies depending on the terrain of the encampment (ex. Flat Tiles give Shock to melee units, Hills give Drill, etc.)

UB: Běi qiáng - Replaces walls. Barbarians within 4 tiles of the city with a běi qiáng are automatically dealt minor damage and loose 1 :c5moves: movement point.

UU: Ji She - Zhao replacement for the Horseman with a 33% combat bonus against barbarians. Has the ability to perform either :c5rangedstrength: ranged attacks or melee attacks, but cannot do both in the same turn. Gains the Formation promotion upon clearing an encampment.

The civ is based on King Wuling's reforms that greatly increased Zhao's power and influence. Most notably, he made his cavalry wear trousers! At the time, it was considered barbaric and blasphemous to wear "barbarian clothes" during war (especially for the commanders), but Wuling made his armies adopt the war clothing of their northern neighbors and as a result they became much more effective. "Hufu" literally means "clothes of the Hu", which were one of the barbarian tribes closest to Zhao. Their Ji She also learnt horseback archery which was used in combination with cavalry charges.

Qin
Qin Xiao Gong
:c5capital: Xianyang

UA - Reform of Shang Yang
Farm add +2 :c5production: Production when building infantry land units and build twice faster. Can spend :c5gold: Gold (cost modified by another civillization's unhappiness) to boost one of your city's growth and decrease adjancent civ's city's growth for several turns, with a chance of diplomatic penalty

UB - Fayuan (Courthouse)
Buildable everywhere. Each Fayuan reduce the :c5culture: Social Policy cost by 1%. +1 :c5food: Food in the city per Farm

UB - Zhengbing Zhongxin (Barrack)
Remove the XP bonus. Add :c5production: Production when building military unit, equal to excess :c5food: Food
Well, my try. Shang Yang's reform emphasize on farming and military, the former supported the latter, hence the bonuses

The Yuezhi

Kanishka (?)

Founders of the Silk Road
Resources belonging to a foreign city connected to a Yuezhi city through a trade route count towards resource diversity in new trade routes. Every pasture built grants 1 Horse resource exclusively for the purpose of trading.

Xihou - (replaces Horseman)
Unlike the Horseman, the Xihou is ranged and has 12 ranged and 8 combat strength. May withdraw before melee.

Kurgan - (replaces Caravansary)
Allows pasture resources to count as luxury resources for the purpose of calculating trade route yields. Has +1 culture.

The Civ is slightly out of the timeframe (the leader definitely is but there's no better alternative) but they were around and relevant during the Warring States period where they provided horses to various Chinese states.

Qin Dynasty (Qin Shi Huang)
UA: Chinization
Gain :c5production: production in your :c5capital: capital per each unit disbanded when you conquer a city or eliminate a civilization, increasing with each :c5culture: social policy you adopt. Gain :c5war: Legalism points from killing units, creating wonders and finding natural ones as well as from destroying foreign :greatwork: great works of writing, which also grants you :c5culture: culture.

UU: Legalist
Replaces great writer. The :greatwork: great works it creats will provide a sum of :c5culture: culture when you acquire Legalism points.

UU: Workforce
Replaces worker. In addition to its functions, a workforce may contribute to project construction when near a city building a wonder, thus granting it extra :c5production: production towards the wonder (increasing with each city conquered), and creating another workforce if you complete the wonder. However this may happen only once per unit.

Legalism
Spoiler :
Legalism points may only be acquired by Qin. They may be spent to freely enact social policies or to gain a free Legalist. During war, you may also use them for the purchase of great generals and for the rigging of elections in :c5citystate: city states.

Six designs (of which half are Qin :p). A question for Mobfire: on the horse replacement, is the "additional ranged attack" an impi style pre-melee or a camel style unit rehash?

A question for Mobfire: on the horse replacement, is the "additional ranged attack" an impi style pre-melee or a camel style unit rehash?

Neither, if you're talking about Arabia's camel archer. This unit would have the ability to melee attack or use a ranged attack, although the ranged attack would only have 10 :c5rangedstrength: combat strength compared to the twelve :c5strength: of the base melee attack. I edited my original post to make that more clear.

If that isn't possible, I'll change it to be more like a mounted Impi.

Kingdom of Chu
Capital: :c5capital: Ying
Leader: Wu Qi

UA: Restoring the Great Monolith
+5% to :c5strength: City Strength and :c5culture: Culture in owned Cities for every foreign City within 8 tiles (Maximum +20%), and adopting a Social Policy instantly promotes all Military Units. For every completed Social Policy Tree, +2 :c5food: Food and +3 :c5happy: Happiness in the Capital.

UU: Lingyin
Great Writer replacement that may be garrisoned in Cities for a :c5production: Production bonus towards Buildings, rewarding a sum of :c5culture: Culture when they are completed. Can also move Citizens from the Capital to a City of your choice 3 times before being expended, yielding :c5gold: Gold when doing so.

UB: Lingmu
Temple replacement that comes with a random :greatwork: Great Work slot that provides +2 :c5culture: Culture and +2 :c5faith: Faith when filled with a :greatwork: Great Work from another Civilization or City State. Yields a sum of :c5culture: whenever a :c5greatperson: Great Person is expended.

A revision of an old design I had for Chu focused on the unpopular - at least to the nobility reforms of chancellor Wu Qi. Probably a bit too heavily geared toward Culture but oh well :p

Here's my design: :D

Wei of Jin (Wei Huan-zi)
UA: The Three Jins: Upon entering the Medieval era, the Jin empire splits in three separate states of Wei, Han, and Zhao. Your two biggest cities (apart from the :c5capital: Capital) form the states of Han and Zhao, turning into :c5citystate: City States. These :c5citystate: City States are permanently allied to you, and half of its yields are granted to you in your (current) :c5capital: Capital. Resources acquired from these City States may be :trade: traded with other civilizations.
Additionally, two free Settlers appear in the :c5capital: Capital upon the split of Jin.
(If Jin only has one city upon entering the medieval era, the next two settled/conquered cities turn into City States (the next one settled/conqured city if Jin has 2 cities). 1 Free settler appears if Jin has two cities, and none appear if Jin only has one)

UU: Jinyang Warrior (replaces the Swordsman): Requires no iron. Gains the 'Dams of Fen' promotion, giving it 33% :c5strength: combat strength when adjacent to a river.

UB: Li Kui Granary (replaces the Granary): When the city produces more :c5gold: Gold than :c5food: Food (including food eaten by citizens), :c5food: Food is granted equal to 10% of the :c5gold: Gold output.
When the city produces more :c5food: Food (including food eaten by citizens) than :c5gold: Gold, :c5gold: Gold is granted equal to 10% of the :c5food: Food output. Costs one more :c5gold: maintenance than the Granary.

This design focuses on the division of Jin (when the three Jins accepted each other's existance) and the early Wei state
Spoiler :

Thoughts behind the design:
UA: "As their respective powers were so balanced, none of the three remaining aristocratic families felt they could feasibly gain an upper hand over the others. So, in 403 BCE, they divided the state's lands among themselves into the "three Jins" of Wei, Han, and Zhao. All three states quickly formed strong bureaucracies, thereby weakening the potential for any aristocratic families from encroaching on their power. This same year, King Weilie of Zhou proclaimed Jin, Wei, Han, and Zhao as equals" -Wikipedia. The three Jins also worked together in the battle of Jinyang (see the link below)
The reason why the UA activates upon entering the Medieval era is so that the player has enough time to train settlers (it was also as historically close as I could get :p)

UU: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jinyang#Battle

UB: "The main agendas of Li Kui's [a Wei Legalist] reforms included: [...] Instituting the 'Law of Equalising Purchases', wherein the state purchased grain to fill its granaries in years of good harvest, to ease price fluctuations and serve as a guarantee against famine." -Wikipedia

Anyone else going to come up with a design? It seems like everyone has one in.

I'll go with Keniisu's State of Chu. I think it's all around a solid and interesting design. Second place was DudeWiththeFood's because it was also just solid all around, and I like Arison's UI and Mobfire's UA.

My vote goes to...

Troller's Wei of Jin!

I just really like the uniques. That's all.

I vote for Dude's Yuezhi. It's not overly complicated, it works well with it's theme, and has good synergy.

yuezhi for me

My vote goes to SonOfGreatKoya's Qin! I like the UA and second UB a lot (though the first UB (courthouse replacement) looks OP in my eyes (+1 food per farm :O))

Oh my. I might actually win for once. What is this madness!?

I started asking that question when someone voted for me last time, and then apparently my UI was good.

Top Bottom