Civ 5 Design Challenge IV - History/Eras

My vote goes for [X] Wei of Jin
Through is that possible in term of real modding, adding a new city states mid-game (or better, a new civ?)
My vote goes to SonOfGreatKoya's Qin! I like the UA and second UB a lot (though the first UB (courthouse replacement) looks OP in my eyes (+1 food per farm :O))
Thanks :). Personally I think the social policy part is the one with OP-ness. Through probably I can change the farm bonus tho. How about...
+ 1 Food per 3 farm
:D
Oh my. I might actually win for once. What is this madness!?
Don't worry, when I won for the first time, my reaction was pretty much "what the hell? people vote for this?"

My vote goes for [X] Wei of Jin
Through is that possible in term of real modding, adding a new city states mid-game (or better, a new civ?)[...]

I actually have no clue, I thought it'd be possible if there are open civ-slots (meaning that you can't be playing with the 63 civ mod or fill up every slot with city states).

If that wouldn't be possible, I guess I could place their starting settler somewhere near the poles surrounded by ice tiles so they can't move (and place them in water so they can't settle).

Giving already settled cities to them should be easy though I guess.

Personally I think the social policy part is the one with OP-ness. Through probably I can change the farm bonus tho. How about...
+ 1 Food per 3 farm
You can simply cap the Social Policy thing somewhere, and who's gonna get 20+ cities anyways? :lol: And yeah, that farm bonus should be a bit more balanced :)

Here's what the votes currently look like:
  • Troller's Wei of Jin - 3
  • Dude's Yuezhi - 2
  • Keniisu's Chu - 2
  • Kerfuffle's Chu - 2
  • SOGK's Qin - 1
Any more votes before we call it a day?

Here's what the votes currently look like:
  • Troller's Wei of Jin - 3
  • Dude's Yuezhi - 2
  • Keniisu's Chu - 2
  • Kerfuffle's Chu - 2
  • SOGK's Qin - 1
Any more votes before we call it a day?

I think there's a reason that Wei of Jin one is winning.

Is this... The setup for a pun, maybe?
If it is I'm too stupid to see it >.< (Care to explain? :blush:)

No one voted yesterday and there's been no votes today so I guess we can call this one a win for Troller. Congrats!
:D whooo, my first winning design! (Though if someone still has criticism/advise (specifically balance-wise), that's appreciated, since I might actually make this once I'm done with my current project)

Anyhow, here's the next challenge:
Design a civ from the colonization-age (if that's what it's called), where the civ must be a colony or based around an explorer (the regional limitation in some sort of way)!

For example:
  • The Dutch Indies
  • Congo Free State (owned by Belgium)
  • The Thirteen Colonies (or only one of them :)) (The first 13 US states, owned by the British)
  • A civ based around Vasco da Gama
  • A civ based around Magellan
  • etc.

I personally would love to see someone base a civ around Willem Barentsz, a Dutch sea explorer who wanted to find a shorter route to India by sailing through the Arctic Sea. He failed miserably and got stuck on Nova Zembla for quite some time, only to return to the Netherlands in shame (how sad :()

I think New Imperialism is the age that you happen to refer to?

I'm going a little more experimental with this design :D

New England Colonies (James I)
:c5capital: Massachusetts Colony

UA: The Four Colonies -
Upon the settlement of your fourth city, you may not build :c5production: or gain Settlers through Social Policies. (Any owned or captured Settlers become Colonialists which may instantly build a "Town" tile improvement.) For each Cargo Ship :trade: originating from your cities, the Food :c5food: output increases by +5% in all of your cities. (Max: 25%) Improved Fish, Whales and Crab tiles yield an additional +1 Food :c5food: and +1 Gold :c5gold: upon the discovery of Navigation.

UU: Puritan -
Unlike the Missionary it replaces, this unit may purify a city where your religion is a majority, which grants you a large sum of Faith :c5faith: and instantly disbands this unit. When stationed on a Town tile improvement, your civilization gains a small sum of Faith :c5faith: each turn.

UI: Town -
Unlocked at Architecture. This tile yields +1 Production :c5production:, +1 Food :c5food: as a base, but these yields increase by +1 for each Era :c5science: advanced. (Max: +5) Unlike other tile improvement, this UI takes +50% longer to be built by Workers than a normal tile improvement.

Here's my entry, made for the Enlightenment Era mod.
Dutch Brazil (Johan Maurits)

UA: The West Indies Company - Each :c5puppet: puppeted city generates :c5greatperson: points towards the birth of great people whenever they produce a building. The type of person depends on the building (ex. Market = Points to Merchants, Opera House = Musicians, etc). May found :c5puppet: puppeted cities on different islands or continents.

UU: Expediëren - Replaces Galleon. It's combat strength increases by 10% for every 300 :c5gold: gold in your reserves, up to 40%. While garrisoned in a city under 10 pop, grants it +2 :c5food: food for every connecting trade route.

UU: Dienaren - While weaker than the Line Infantry it replaces, Dienaren may be purchased with gold for a much lower price than normal. While garrisoned in a city, all luxury tiles yeild an additional +1 :c5gold: gold. Comes with +1 Sight.

New South Wales under Henry Parkes
UA: How Brightly You Shine
Defeating Barbarians provides Production towards Workers in the Capital. Gain additional experience for defeating Barbarians in or near City State territory, and rigging elections in Allied City States may cause them to become a Puppet of yours.

UI: Homestead
Unlocked at Civil Service, the Homestead may be built on any flat terrain within your territory, and consumes the worker when doing so. Provides +2 Food and +1 Gold, and claims all adjacent neutral territory. In addition, Trade Routes may be sent to nearby City States via nearby Homesteads, providing additional Growth and Influence to the City State and increasing the chance of it becoming a Puppet after a rigged election.

UB: Gaol
Slightly cheaper than the Constabulary, which it replaces, the Gaol increases combat damage against Barbarians for any unit within the city's borders. Additionally, it spawns a powerful Barbarian Bushranger nearby, which provides a large burst of Gold and Culture to whatever player defeats it. +2 Tourism after Refrigeration.

I hope this works:

Redcliffe Point
Henry Miller

UA: Redcliffe Penal Colony: Whenever a unit you control captures an enemy unit population increases in the nearest city after three turns. These earned population increases have a chance to 'escape' and decrease population. All units have a 5% chance of capturing enemy units when killing them.

UU: Jailor: Unlike the Rifleman it replaces, the Jailor gains a 10% chance to capture enemy units plus 5% for every Jailor surrounding it (caps at 40% total), and is unlocked at Navigation. When garrisoned decreases the spawn time of capture population gain to two turns after the initial capture.

UB: Operations House: Unlike the Constabulary it replaces, the Operations House is unlocked at gunpowder and lowers the chance of population escaping.

Arison, by the time you have access to Riflemen, workers are pretty damn easy to get. I would suggest modifying it so that capturing enemies gives a free pop, which have a chance to "escape" the city they're in. All of your units should have a small chance to capture enemy units (making the UA have use before the Industrial era), with the Jailor just being especially good at it.

:c5gold: The Anglo-Persian Oil Company :c5gold:
:c5capital: Abadan
John Cadman

UA: The D'Arcy Concession
+1 :c5gold: Gold per turn on desert tiles for every resource adjacent to the tile. Declarations of friendship provide +1 :c5production: production on every strategic or luxury resource for both parties.

UU: South Persia Rifles
Replaces GWI, unlocked at biology. For every active declaration of friendship, +5% :c5strength: combat strength when standing on improvements. Each one standing on an improvement provides +1 :c5gold: gold per turn, and if in foreign territory, +3 :c5gold: gold per turn to both the tile itself and the APOC. No maintenance cost.

UI: Refinery
Unlocked at engineering. Can be built only on deserts with no resource, but can be built in foreign or neutral deserts. +2 :c5production: Production. Upon the discovery of a technology that reveals a strategic resource, each refinery has a chance to spawn a node of this resource. Half of the quantity of the resource goes to the APOC, and the other half is turned into GPT for the owner of the tile.

He has da Gama and the 13 Colonies there so I guess he means both the Age of Exploration and New Imperialism. So that would be like 1492 - 1914 roughly.

Yes, I opened up a huge time-span for this one! ;)

Dutch East Indies
Herman W. Daendels
:c5capital: Batavia

UA - Raden Mas Galak
Can instantly build road from one city to other by sacrificing 1 citizen (in choosen passed city) per 4 tiles passed. Military building and improvement constructed 20% faster

UU - Inheemse Tropen (Musketman)
10% faster production per allied city states (max 60%)

UB - Post Office (Constabulary)
Must be connected to capital. Unit who end turn in the city gain +2 Movement point. +1 Gold for plantation worked in the city
Let's hope this worked

Top Bottom