Civ 5 won't load now in higher DPI

Goldribbon

Chieftain
I use a larger monitor with a 16 core computer, and so I typically set the dpi on Windows to 200% larger DPI (makes fonts bigger). Civ 5 worked fine until last week, now when I try to load Civ 5 on any DPI other than standard, it won't let me get past the nag screen as I can move my mouse but not click anything (and the fonts start melting, like in an old video game). It works fine when I go down to 100% DPI (way too small for me to read anything), but locks up at anything from 150-250% DPI. :mad:

I use a HDMI out from a new Radeon, selecting Direct X 11. Running newest patch, .621

I changed my DPI from 100% to 150%. The game also became unplayable for me because I couldn't click on the Start Your Journey (or whatever it's called) button. I'm not sure that this is a bug. Google finds lots of reports of high DPI breaking other games. Can you switch to a lower DPI just to play Civ 5? In other words, is that a satisfactory workaround?

Ok, I don't know if this is a bug specific to CiV, or other games, but alot of other folks in another CiV forum have this problem and someone has found a work-around. It involves booting CiV direct into Direct X 11, and then r-clicking the shortcut and selecting 'compatibility' something or other.

Sorry this is terribly not helpful, :cry:but I will try to post the link when I can find it again. I just wanted to alert folks there is a workaround so you don't have to readjust DPI everytime you play.

(Oh, and I can't adjust DPI just when I play, 'cause I play dual monitors, with 'work' on one side and CiV on the other, so I need to see the work so as to make a half-hearted attempt to do it).

Top Bottom