Civ Design Challenge III - Alternate History

I've just learned a lesson not to type on my phone. I organized all the UA, UI, UU, and backstory of a great Numidian empire here, probably wrote like 300 words, and then exited the app to answer a message and lost it all.

...I think I'll sit this one out until voting time.

I've just learned a lesson not to type on my phone. I organized all the UA, UI, UU, and backstory of a great Numidian empire here, probably wrote like 300 words, and then exited the app to answer a message and lost it all.

...I think I'll sit this one out until voting time.
When writing long posts from my phone, I always mark it all and copy it a couple of times while writing. Or write the whole message in Google Keep and then copy it over.

It's possible of course this thread may never see a voting time

*cough*

Is anyone here?

If only I'd found these threads sooner.

Here's another choice for Carthage winning the Punic wars.

Spoiler :
After Cannae, the Hannibal organizes a peace treaty and leaves Italy in return for the Romans abandoning Hispania. Through a series of wars and politics, Carthage brings the Iberian peninsula under complete control over the next century while Greeks and Samnites rebel against perceived weakness of Roman rule. While Rome eventually fights off a campaign from Macedon and unifies southern Italy, it is at the expense of renewed attacks from Celts in the north.

When Rome finally has the power to fight Carthage again, they briefly gain ground in Africa with Numidian allies but the Carthaginian navy reclaims Corsica, Sardinia and carries the largely Iberian armies to fight in Sicily. The Romans are recalled to Syracuse (which ceded to Rome some years previously) and the Numidians defeated. The war in Sicily is lost although only after a long war of attrition after which Carthaginian generals raze large parts of southern Italy in revenge before calling for peace.

The next generation of warfare sees Rome annexed although the Carthaginian empire never reaches much further north than modern day Florence/Arretium and the Pyrenees, they vassalise the Gallic coast and later wars see them claim Greece, Egypt, Cyprus and briefly Phoenicia.

The empire reaches its height during the 400s with other major empires being the Pontic and Sassanid Empires. Extensive politics has seen them overlords though not outright rulers of several Gallic kingdoms and they maintain a respect for the Celtic culture which continues to develop rapidly. The Huns catalyse the Migration period which sees Italy and the Balkans overrun after years of peace but the Gauls provide enough of a defence to keep Iberia safe. As land is lost, an emergency change to the navy resulting in an amphibious militia protecting ports and coastlines.

While most of mainland Italy and everything north and east of Greece were lost, the majority of what was left was well preserved until the rise of Islam. The centres of power were already shifting towards Nova Carthago and Alexandria, the latter of which fell extraordinary quickly to the Arab armies. It would take another two centuries for Carthage itself to fall but in Nova Carthago and Iberia, the legacy survived.

The Carthaginian Empire

Leader: Mithonum the Great
Spoiler :
The Emperor who turned back the Gothic hordes personally in Greece and reclaimed much of Italia if only for it to be lost in the years following his death. Founded the maritime militia, sailors and warriors who were extremely mobile along coastal towns and cities. His reign saw relative prosperity compared to immediate predecessors and successors while sanitation improved.

Unique Ability: Mediterranean Supremacy
All units gain the Amphibious promotion. Embarked units gain +1 movement and coastal resources provide +1 gold.

Unique Unit: Scutarii (replaces swordsmen)
Spoiler :
As the mercenaries comprising the Carthaginian forces evolved into auxiliaries and finally a professional army, the ethnicity of them became overwhelmingly Iberian or Libyan who preferred lighter armament. Their large shields gave them their name and made up for the lack of armour against most enemies.

Only strength 12 but gain +75% strength when adjacent coast and start with Cover I.

Unique Building: Cothon (replaces harbour)
Each trade route from or to this city reduces purchase cost of all units by 10% and buildings by 5% to limits of 50% and 25%.

The Civ is focused around owning coastal locations. Either by defending them with the UU and UB or going on the offensive with UU and UA. The Cothon's main ability is allows them to keep up with civs with higher productions or sure up defences in case of a surprise attack.

Well I must admit, the UB is extremely nice and the UU is not something you see every day.:D
However, I'm concerned about balance: this UU would be as strong as a longswordsman in a coastal tile, and the UA is... Basically Denmark's, with a bit that fits real Carthage more than your story. You don't mention any trade in your story.

Well then, if this thread is back to life expect a submission from me a bit later. Good thing I came back to check on it after apparently prematurely declaring it dead!

Too bad the first one isn't back to life.

Spoiler :
Point of divergence: Meeting of the Roman Senate following the Mammertine request for military support

After the Mammertines at Messana requested the support of both Carthage and Rome, Carthage was the first to respond, placing a garrison in Messana. The Roman Senate debated on whether or not to respond with support, lest the dispute might lead to conflict with Carthage. The debate dragged on as senators weighed complex political implications; meanwhile, Gaius Duillis, an ambitious novo homo of the Roman army, gained popular support among some of his soldiers and, in an unprecedented act of defiance against the Senate, confiscated a fleet of fishing boats in southern Italy and embarked his fighters as sailors towards Carthaginian Sicily.

The ill-equipped, hostility-driven impromptu Roman fleet managed to reach Sicily unnoticed by the Carthaginians; the Romans, however, embarked two reactionary battalions in order to rout the rebels before conflict against Carthage could be incited. Duillis' men reached Messana first, however, and managed to attack the Carthaginian garrisoned citadel there. When the Roman army under orders of the Senate arrived, the siege was quickly stomped out as a combined force of Carthaginians, Mammertines, and Romans stamped out the rebellious breakoff army led by Duillis.

The furious Carthaginians then allied with the Mammertines to fend off the Romans, whom were misinterpreted as an invasion force. Despite desperate attempts by commanders in the "invading" Roman army to negotiate, Carthaginian politicians saw the conflict as an excuse to cripple Rome in the Sicilian sphere of influence, and the Carthaginian navy (and some rapidly embarked Numidian mercenaries) quickly cut off the supply lines of the Roman military. The legions in Messana surrendered to Carthage, and the Punic War began, as Rome scrambled to recuperate.

Rapid Carthaginian imposition on Roman naval centers decisively shut down the fledgling Roman navy, and before the conquests of Carthage could go any further, the Senate agreed to sign a treaty ceding a massive reparations fee as well as control of Sicily to Carthage. Additionally, Carthaginian embassies were imposed on several port cities in Roman Italy to ensure Rome would not develop naval military-- on paper, of course. The embassies were in reality a way for Carthage to control Roman ports, and Carthaginian control of the western Mediterranean became hegemonous. Carthaginian merchants monopolized the urban markets of key Roman port cities, and the Roman urban peasantry became poorer and poorer.

This growth in poverty in the Roman Republic, specifically in the city of Rome itself, contributed to growing urban discontent. As senators and aristocrats could be seen strolling about with leisure time, starving peasants began to revolt against the Senate. However, unlike before, the Senate was rapidly losing control of the military. As factionalization began to onset among the levy armies in the countryside near Rome, which was composed of the farmers most heavily subject to the Carthaginian tax, revolt after revolt crumbled the power of the Senate until an organized, armed riot led by the populist landowner Gaius Capito Pompilius finally toppled the state in favor of a peasant's electorate.

This new government controlling Rome was not unique in the splintering Republic. Around the country, peasants and armies, either together, separate, or sometimes even in direct conflict, were storming the aristocratic manors and seizing their wealth, considered a mark of decadence that supported the debilitating Carthaginian tax, and establishing new urban centers of power. In the years following the defeat of Rome by Carthage, the entire Republic crumbled into several different chaotic states, until on the fourth anniversary of the Battle of Messana, Carthaginian fleets arrived again in Italy to reinforce the embassies.

While the revolts were happening, many Carthaginian officials in the embassies had successfully negotiated peace of varying stability with leaders of the peasants. However, as the new urban governments finally began to reorganize themselves-- mostly in a far more egalitarian model than the former Roman republic-- these outposts found themselves more and more a target of popular hostility, or Inimicitas Populi. The official foundation of the Publica Senatus Nova in Rome, declared by Gaius Pompilius, sent a rallying wave of anti-Carthage sentiment through the factional urban centers. A Carthaginian landing in southern Italy provoked a renewal in mobilization, and on the anniversary of the seizure of Rome, key military leaders of some of the new governments in the country met with Pompilius in Rome to unite against the Carthaginian menace.

A short series of battles lasting about a year seized the Carthaginian embassies in every major city and expelled the invading army; the Carthaginian navy, which had suffered massive cutbacks in favor of funding land expeditions by Numidian mercenaries in Morocco-- due to complacency following the defeat of Rome-- was ill equipped to transport enough reinforcements to defend their claims, and signed a non-aggression treaty with the New Public Senate. The urban leaders that had joined with Pompilius in Rome quickly signed allegiance with the New Senate, and other new city-states followed suit, in order to gain security under the treaty from Carthaginian attacks.

In the following decade, the Public Italian government, as Pompilius' new government called itself, found economic and political footing in the establishment of Urbana Publicas in each major city, as centers for regional governance. The egalitarian regional nationalism that followed unified the country and brought new ideas and techniques to Rome. Archery improved influenced by northern traditions, and southern traditions improved shipbuilding. The rapid expansion of the Italian navy once again provided a source of worry for the Carthaginian hegemony in the western Mediterranean, and the Third Punic War found the Carthaginian navy destroyed by ranged Italian naval tactics. Flaming arrows shot by experts from the north, hidden behind sturdily built warships from the south, provided the Italians a decisive means of naval superiority: the Ignisnavi, or fireship.

:c5influence: ITALIA NOVA :c5influence:
Pompilius
:c5capital: Roma

UA: Inimicitas Publica
:c5razing: Resistance lasts twice as long when your cities are conquered. +15% :c5strength: combat bonus against any civilization you have at any time established an embassy with. :c5production: Production increase towards :c5war: military units for every :c5influence: city-state you have accomplished a quest for.

UB: Urbana Publica
Replaces market. +1 :c5gold: gold, +25% :c5gold: gold. +1 :c5food: food and +1 :c5production: production on every bonus resource, and +5% :c5production: production towards :c5war: military units for every visible enemy capital (maximum 25%).

UU: Ignisnavi
Replaces Galleass. Available at Optics. Lower :c5rangedstrength: ranged attack, at :c5rangedstrength: 14, and lower :c5strength: melee defense, at :c5strength: 12, but much cheaper, at 70 :c5production: at standard speed. Has a special promotion, "Cosmopolitan", granting it +5% :c5rangedstrength: ranged attack for every internal :trade: trade route (max 25%).

May seem OP at first, but very situational.

You know that's way out of time period...

wut, how?

Spoiler :
After the fall of Rome under the hands of the Punic leader, Hannibal Barca a new nation was born on the rumble of which the old Roman Kingdoms stood. After his successful fight in the Punic Wars, Hannibal had begun his ideal reformation the lands and began to strike fear in his points with his military success. The new lands of Carthage were of bold stature and was seen by many as an Empire to fear. Having taken down the Romans, a fierce people, Hannibal began his reign with a well-renown strength to his name.

The new land of Carthage now including the lands of the old Roman Kingdom was known as Carthaginian Kingdom was a prosperous nation. Now considered to be a time of great danger to foes and prosperous land of greatness in the lands it soon grew to become an empire to stand the tests of time...

This is my first Alt. History design so I hope it's good :)

Carthaginian Kingdom (Hannibal Barca)
UA: A Tactician's Production -
When a land melee unit has been produced by the city gains a Gold :c5gold: boost scaling with each era that's been advanced. When a unit is garrisoned in any city settled by you, your units gain a +5% strength :c5strength: bonus and production :c5production: is boosted in the city by 15%. However when a unit is garrisoned in a puppet or annexed city gain +1 Happiness :c5happy: and +3 Gold :c5gold:.

UU: Elephant Brute (Replaces Horseman) -
Requires a source of Ivory to be made. Unlike the Horseman it replaces has a lesser amount of moves (2 :c5moves:) and an increased combat strength (15 :c5strength:). This unit can pillage without movement :c5moves: cost and when it attacks a city gain a Gold :c5gold: boost depending on the inflicted damage :c5war:.

UB: Ranch (Replaces Stables) -
Can only be built in cities containing, at least, one source of Horses or Ivory within its borders. Grants all mounted units produced in this city with +10XP as well as a bonus of +5% combat strength dependant on the how many policies have been adopted. (Max: +30% :c5strength: bonus). During the time of a Golden Age :c5goldenage: the experience bonus is doubled for newly produced units.

You know that's way out of time period...

Did you read the text? It's not an Italy design, it's basically an alternate Rome design. The peninsula was called Italia for centuries before Italy.

Doesn't matter that its italy or rome, these challenges don't have a time period - Natan is just Nataning.

Doesn't matter that its italy or rome, these challenges don't have a time period - Natan is just Nataning.

Lol. I have nothing against Natan. (Honestly I really like his work/designs :p) but that's is true that he does point out a flaw which is usually somewhat irrelevant to the challenge or design at hand. I also found that word to be a little amusing Nataning, so here's this :lol:

Nataning. verb (Definition pulled from the Civilopedia)
(1) The act of pointing out an issue in a something that is actually not really an issue.
Example: "You know that's way out of time period..." is said when there is no time period designated.

Lol. I have nothing against Natan. (Honestly I really like his work/designs :p) but that's is true that he does point out a flaw which is usually somewhat irrelevant to the challenge or design at hand. I also found that word to be a little amusing Nataning, so here's this :lol:

#Autism#Natan#Satan
Lol git rekt nataned son

#Autism#Natan#Satan
Lol git rekt nataned son
I have Autism but am highly on the spectrum so that part is true. :lol: (Aspergers specifically is what I have.)
No need to git so savage Natan, I don't want to start doing some "Nataning" on your designs ;) (totes not a threat hehe)

Four designs, eh? And lots of users active on this portion of the thread who submitted no design

I have Autism but am highly on the spectrum so that part is true. :lol: (Aspergers specifically is what I have.)
No need to git so savage Natan, I don't want to start doing some "Nataning" on your designs ;) (totes not a threat hehe)

So savage? Huh? I have asperger as well... I mentioned it a few times in this forum.

Spoiler :
before you got here :p guess is should've mentioned it again...
I only added that since I tend to get too critical in real life as well, and that is related to my autism. I know that's an absurd, but pointing out the fact I've got autism seems like the best way to explain my actions in some situations. Nevertheless, I've only ever told it to a very few people outside of my family.

Top Bottom