CIV Gold BTS - Technical Support

Fierabras

Emperor

Thread for technical questions on BTS versions of CIV Gold.

The BTS versions of CIV Gold are structured in the way Purplexus defined it on his Plug & Play forum.

For the changes to the Firaxis civs we used a method described here. With this method we used a modified copy of CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml to add leaders, change artstyles, change derivative civs and disable Native America (in CIV Gold Native America is represented by several civs).

Compared with the old versions we added some new graphical elements like Ethnically Diverse Units and Ethnically Diverse Citystyles. We made it possible to remove EDU easily (by deleting the folder Modules/EDU), for those who want to play without it.

CIV Gold Modules:

Custom Civilizations

Contains the new civilizations with leaderhead(s), unique building and unique unit.

Custom Leaderheads

Contains added leaderheads for default Firaxis civilizations. We decided to put this in a different folder from Custom Civilizations, because the "adding" takes place in the Default_CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml described above.

EDC

Ethnically Diverse Citystyles are mostly done outside the Modules folder (XML/Buildings), because of the non-modular status of citystyle graphics. Added styles: ARTSTYLE_AFRICAN, ARTSTYLE_EGYPT, ARTSTYLE_INDIAN, ARTSTYLE_MEDITERRANEAN, ARTSTYLE_NATIVE_AMERICA, ARTSTYLE_SOUTH_EAST_ASIAN, ARTSTYLE_VIKING

EDU

Ethnically Diverse Units 3.14, based on Mamba's modular version. African and Arabian added.

Is there a way to enable the blue marble terrains while playing the CIV Gold mod? I like playing the new civs but I find myself longing for the more colorful terrains.

Is there a way to enable the blue marble terrains while playing the CIV Gold mod? I like playing the new civs but I find myself longing for the more colorful terrains.

I think there is. If I remember correctly (I don't use it myself), Blue Marble is installed in CustomAssets. To enable you will have to change something in Mods/CIV Gold/CIV Gold.ini (open this file with Notepad):

; Custom Art from user folder is not loaded
NoCustomArt = 1

; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
NoCustomAssets = 1

If you change these values from 1 to 0, you should get Blue Marble terrain in the CIV Gold mod.

Hi all,

I've installed Civ4 Gold 3.0 BTS in the mods folder, after that I've loaded the game and the mod, the menu screen has changed and it displays Civ Gold logo but neither on the single player nor the multiplayer are the new civilizations of the mod. :sad:

Is any patch or further configuration required?

My version is in spanish.

Thanks in advance.

Seems that the mod loads, but not the modular parts.

Make sure CIV Gold is installed in:

C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\CIV Gold

and not in

C:\Documents and Settings\YourProfile\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS

If you have not installed the BTS 3.13 patch yet, you have to enable modular loading by changing the following in
C:\Documents and Settings\YourProfile\My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CivilizationIV.ini

Open this file with Notepad and change

Code:
; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 0

to

Code:
; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 1

This isn't as much as a problem of the game, but my WINRAR free trial ran out and I need to use 7-Max, but I can't seem to figure out how to use 7-Max. Could you help with that?

WinRAR ran out? I can still use mine beyond the 30 days.

Anyway, the final CIV Gold is an exe file so you don't need any compression tool to open. If you are using the Beta, you can open with 7zip, but I would strongly recommend downloading the Final version.

I've just uploaded 1790 AD for CIV Gold BTS version 1.0, including Austria/Franz, Sweden/Karl XII and Vietnam from the custom civs. I would like to include more, but my testversion kept crashing on me. (I've only been editing the WBS file so far.)

I tried the same w/1600 AD for CIV Gold, but gave up for the time being. Including Casimir as a Polish leader proved impossible...:badcomp:

Any suggestions on how to proceed?:help:

Any suggestions on how to proceed?:help:

Debugging WBS is difficult. It might be a good idea to compare your new test-version to the last known version that was working properly and check all your changes. 1 simple typo can lead to a crash.

You can use Compare It! to compare your 2 WBS files, so you can spot your bug more easily. If you cannot find it, try a step-by-step approach and test after each change.

(Mknn found a bug with Trung/Vietnam , but I'm not sure that would lead to a WBS crash)

Didn't see a bug thread, so here it is:

* Trung's initial greeting is empty (it comes up with the default XML name).

Fix is in place and will be included in the next release. If you want to fix it yourself (for a current game), change AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_HO_CHI_MINH_1 to AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_TRUNG_1 in Custom Civilizations/Vietnam/Trung/Trung_CIV4GameText.xml

Debugging WBS is difficult. It might be a good idea to compare your new test-version to the last known version that was working properly and check all your changes. 1 simple typo can lead to a crash.

You can use Compare It! to compare your 2 WBS files, so you can spot your bug more easily. If you cannot find it, try a step-by-step approach and test after each change.

(Mknn found a bug with Trung/Vietnam , but I'm not sure that would lead to a WBS crash)

Ok, it might be a bug in the WBS, but I mentioned Casimir, because the crash happened after I tried to use him as a CIV Gold-specific leader. (No problem w/Vietnam, but then I didn't include Trung - lucky me!)

Playing as Romania, I could barely hear the unit voices

Brasil's UB is overpowered. +1 :) in ALL cities for each Estadio de Futbol?

EDIT: Sorry, realised this isn't a Techincal Support issue. Should I start a new thread for balance issues?

Please don't: there are enough underused threads as it is already. Your issue seems to me a civ-specific one.;)

hmm, well I can think of more: Scythian Stables giving march promotion to ALL units all the way to Advanced Flight seems a bit much.

The Siamese Ho Trai (replacement for Library) gives +40% research. I would either increase the cost, or remove the 2 scientist slots since libraries are such a staple build in just about every city.

The Tibetan Gompa seems underpowered. only +1 culture and 2 priest slots doesn't seem that great to me.

Scottish Mercat Cross is along the same lines as the ho trai. Mabye remove some of the resource happiness bonuses or the 3 merchant slots?

The Maori Pa is not just a castle upgrade, it's a spanish citadel upgrade! retains all the citadel bonuses (+5 siege weapon exp) plus 2 more naval experience and -50% bombard damage (double from the -25%) all for the same cost. Castles do have a short lifespan though.

I dunno mabye I am going a bit overboard here but the Estadio de Futbol, Ho trai, and Scythian Stables definately need a bit of a change I think.

We haven't looked at balancing much, we are more busy with getting everything to work as it is. I'll open up a new thread for this, because we do appreciate getting feedback on this issue.

Top Bottom