Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About Colonies, you're right, I don't think there's any issue, you can pretty much afford settling a new city if you're low on happiness because the new luxury resource pretty much guarantees you you'll get enough happiness to settle a new city without going into unhappiness.

If Firaxis were going to showcase a new expansion at pax, would they need to make at least some noise before the expo to generate interest?

EDIT: or is E3 more likely?

What I mean is... wouldn't they have to already announce an expansion prior to the expo in order to generate interest?

If Firaxis were going to showcase a new expansion at pax, would they need to make at least some noise before the expo to generate interest?

Maybe threads like this are "noisy" enough, but I get your point. I guess they could give us some hints on the "big reveals and announcements" before March 23, but I wouldn't expect much.

What if nothing is announced at Pax (besides XCOM stuff and "behind the scenes" slipslop)? What should we do? Can we close the thread to pretend we don't care anymore so they feel compelled to reveal something solid?

Can we close the thread to pretend we don't care anymore so they feel compelled to reveal something solid?

*In Firaxis HQ*

"Nope, guys. They've had enough. Shut'er down."

*Machine writing expansion disks and whole Civ sector shuts down*

edit: AIRPORTS! of course, how could I forget. We seriously need airports back! It's a little stupid that we can't get a traderoute to landlocked cities on another continent from our capital in the later eras. I also would like to see the airdrop drop function of helicopters and airports from civ 3 back.

While on the topic of airdrops, maybe bring back a modern paratrooper unit too?

Off-topic, but, connecting a coastal city that has a trade route to the capital to an inland city with a road/railroad will also connect the inland city to the Capital.

In normal circumstances, if a game is announced at the time of PAX, how long will it take after that to be released?

I came to the series with IV, could someone explain how this worked to me?

http://www.civ3.com/faq6.cfm

How are air units different in Civ III?

In Civ III, air units do not function as they did in previous Civ games. Air units now operate out of base of operations (which in Civ III is either a friendly city or an aircraft carrier) and now perform missions on any square or target within the operational range of the unit. Air units can perform the following missions:

* Bombing mission (bombards the selected square, damaging units, city improvements, and population)
* Precision Bombing mission (targets a specific improvement in a city for destruction)
* Recon mission (investigates the selected square)
* Air Superiority mission (attacks enemy air units that enter the unit's defensive range). Only fighter units can engage in air superiority (air-to-air combat) missions.
* Airdrop mission (Airlifts a single ground unit to another location)
* Re-Base mission (Selects a new base of operations and relocates the unit to that base)

I haven't played Civ III probably since 2004 and reading through that page now reminded about the combat elements it had that I really liked like; Armies, Draft and Mobilization. :)

Off-topic, but, connecting a coastal city that has a trade route to the capital to an inland city with a road/railroad will also connect the inland city to the Capital.

Right, but that requires having a coastal city on the second landmass. I talking about having ONLY landlocked cities on that second landmass.

A way of flying units between cities, a la Civ IV's airports wouldn't go amiss. It'd take some tweaking to make it useful with 1upt, but it'd sure beat shipping/walking your armies across continents in the modern era.

... It'd take some tweaking to make it useful with 1upt, ...

:confused:

I think, airlifts would be way more useful with 1UPT than with stacks. Even in Civ4, you could airlift only one unit per turn. To move an entire stack took several turns or multiple airports and was a terrible chore.

Single units are way more powerful in Civ5 than they were in Civ4. Airlifting even one of them to it's destination has a way higher impact in consequence.
If at all, airlifting should be limited in Civ5. For example with the necessity of an airport at both participating cities.

A way of flying units between cities, a la Civ IV's airports wouldn't go amiss. It'd take some tweaking to make it useful with 1upt, but it'd sure beat shipping/walking your armies across continents in the modern era.

Allowing the airport to drop your units anywhere within 1 tile of one of your cities would probably work, especially if you could move multiple units through the airport in a turn.

Wouldn't that make paratroopers useless? IMO they already are almost useless in G&K, as their only advantage is moving fast using paradrop ability, but they are weaker than infrantly. If regular infrantly could use airdrop, it makes whole unit piece of garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom