1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aaron90495, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I just noticed that they completely removed the top of the screenshot (the HUD bar).. which is still weird.

2. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

I'm with you. They're starting the hype train.

3. Petiscator

Petiscator King

TheKingOfBigOz: right now, I'm agreeing with every pro-xpac theory around here :lol:
    But you're right. Even though it seems casual, posting screenshots on twitter is not a very common thing for them, and the HUD bar is really suspicious. Maybe there is a Pollution system? I guess we'll know in the future. Just hoping PAX comes already

4. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

It was also posted to the Civ 5 Facebook account so I would agree that they seam to be starting the prep work on restarting their social media presence

5. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

The hype has started! Studies show a strong correlation between Civ fans and Britney Spears fans, so definite proof they are reaching out to their core fans.

6. metal134

metal134 Chieftain

I know that was a joke, but I don't get it.

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I thought one thing we learnt from the lead up to G&K was that 2K marketing acts in mysterious, and often illogical, ways.

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Why was that a joke? :band: *rocks on*

:spear:

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

So, activity on the Facebook/Twitter. A patch coming out. The Civ-team at Pax.
    Something's afoot!

10. TimeWeaver

TimeWeaver Warlord

Expect to see this guy soon in the One World expansion pack:

http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=...GFVAUdXUFIri4QSq_IG4Cg&ved=0CGgQ9QEwEw&dur=34

It's Gajah Mada, the Elephant General of the Majapahit Empire in today's Indonesia. He was, according to Javanese old manuscripts, poems and mythology, a powerful military leader and mahapatih or prime minister of the Majapahit Empire, credited with bringing the empire to its peak of glory. He delivered an oath called Sumpah Palapa, in which he vowed not to eat any food containing spices until he had conquered all of the Southeast Asian archipelago of Nusantara for Majapahit. In modern Indonesia, he serves as an important national hero and a symbol of patriotism.

He's already locked and loaded and onboard the xp, I just can feel it. Can't you?

11. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

From patch notes:
    Is this an indication some form of culture flipping is coming back?[/UNFOUNDEDSPECULATION]

12. Ford

Ford Warlord

No. Sometimes, when you are gifted a city (in a peace treaty deal, for example) the tiles that are being worked don't produce anything. This means that the city will be producing lots of food, but not growing. This puts a stop to that.

13. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

That wasn't what I was referring to. The unfounded speculation is based on the specific use of the word 'flip' which, unless I've missed some recent development, doesn't refer to any method of acquiring a city in CiV but has historically referred to acquiring a city through cultural pressure (although I suppose you could use it in a Civ V sense to refer to Austria's UA).

14. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

er, no, that's still gifted/traded cities, they never ever flipped by their own.

Nice catch, expect to see Religious/Colonial/Cultural city flipping in One World.

15. Aaron90495

Aaron90495 King

Religious flipping might be a bit...overboard, don't ya think? Cultural flipping at least makes sense from a realism perspective, but religious doesn't.

16. Ford

Ford Warlord

Yes, ok, but how could they fix an issue that nobody could possible have had?

I don't know what they mean by 'flip' either, I was just interpreting the issue as I saw it. You can only fix something that's broken. Maybe they did mean something in the beta for OW has now been fixed and found it's way into the patch notes, but it's pretty unlikely.

17. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

More like, this forum is obsessed with civ so much that if their baseless predictions of meaningless patterns don't come to fruition then they label it mysterious

18. Trias

Trias Donkey with three behinds

Why would that be unlikely? It is very much possible that the issue that has been fixed became more prominent in the (speculative) OW beta, and came to the attention of the dev team because of this. Because the issue (what ever it is exactly) was already present in the vanilla code, the fix was pushed to the vanilla code branch as well. The line in the patch notes could very well be a copy and paste from the OW beta changenotes to the test team.

If we work under the assumption that they are working on a new expansion, then it simply is unlikely that they are independently hunting bugs in the vanilla code. It is much more likely that the current hotfix patch is simply the byproduct of the OW test process. (Which also happens to find bugs in the original game.)

19. Ford

Ford Warlord

It would be unlikely because the patch notes will be proof-read by someone from every department down the line, and it's unlikely that a fix for a bug in a, as you say, speculative and by no means confirmed future expansion could be released to the unwashed masses in a patch notes list from a different expansion.

If it has happened, unlikely as it is, then someone will have to answer for it, but I expect it's probably just dev-speak for what Austria can do or when the surrendered cities have finished rebelling or something harmless like that.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I suspect "Flip" means (to civ V devs) to switch a city from puppet to annexed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.