Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Aaron90495, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That sounds fair, afterall you can hardly paradrop a tank or a modern armor, so you need to land the flight somewhere in order to get the unit off.
    Paratroopers should get the ability to paradrop and attack in the same turn. Someone mentioned that recently and I agree. This will give them the option to paradrop behind enemy lines and attack vulnerable ranged units which would be really useful. Also they would be able to paradrop in regions without an airport, which would still make them different than other units.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The problem with Paradropper attacking on the same turn is that you could bomb a city into submission and have a paratrooper take it on the same turn.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

And just how is that a problem? Having a horse unit sweep in from 4 tiles away or a tank from 5 tiles isn't a problem, but paratroopers are?

4. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

What would make Paratroops even more viable than they currently are, is to make them upgrade along the Scout unit line. Perhaps a new "sentinel" class of units will have to be introduced in-between, but with upgraded sight range and paradrop ability, they will become far more valued recon units for endgame blitzing

5. Eagle Pursuit

Because they can bypass zone-of-control while mounted and armored units can't. Gunships can zip in there too and they aren't allowed to take cities.

6. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

I could see paratroopers as units to pillage resources and block supply lines deep in enemy territory - and then hold these points until conventional troopes could take the city.

Therefore, I would give them access to "Survivalism"-Promotions as well as granting them a doubled fortification bonus. Attacking after paratrop would be out of balance, as Eagle Pursuit pointed out.

7. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Well regular units wouldn't airdrop so much as be able to be transported between two player-controlled cities with airports.

I suppose you are right. I was more concerned about the logjam around cities -- say, if you were to airlift to a city that had a garrison, there could potentially be some fiddly micromanagement.

8. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

How about making Paratroppers be able to attack on the same turn they drop, but not be able to attack cities. That would lend a little more usefulnesss to them as attacking units beyond ZOC and pillaging resources. Helicopters would still be used to attack Armor units with their higher strength, but are still subjsect to ZOC

I also like the Scout being upgraded to a Paratrooper. Survivalism would help them last a little longer behind enemy lines and Survielence would make them better late game reconnessence (I butchered that spelling).

9. Eagle Pursuit

I suspect that if you wanted to enact airlifts, you would have to move garrisoned units out of the city much as you have to do when purchasing a unit. That would be a pain in a city under seige. It may be more effective to airlift units into another nearby city and move them over. Perhaps you could also airlift into forts and citadels.

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

True at that. How does Paratroopers interact with AA-guns?

One could make them not able to attack cities (possibly only on the same turn), would solve the problem, albeit seem a bit arbitrary.

11. Eagle Pursuit

I think it would be insanely fun if Firaxis went to PAX and displayed the emblems of the One World civs and just said, "Guess what they are. We'll get back to you next month."

12. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

That would be a good 5 mins of silence on the forum and a brief overload of wikipedia before about 600,000 civs are suddenly announced as definitely in :goodjob:

13. geolawyerman

geolawyerman Chieftain

Perhaps they'd give us pictures of the leaders instead.

14. Eagle Pursuit

They did that with Sweden. It was too easy. With the exception of the Zulu diehards, everyone was pretty much convinced of Sweden within a few hours.

15. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Tweet from 2k twitter :
    "Civ fans, @Ga1Friday likes to name her Spearman after @britneyspears songs. What do you name your units after? pic.twitter.com/Km65p0xsfq"

That's... odd, what's with the sudden intrest in what Ga1Friday names her Spearmen after (also, why is the screenshot lacking the top UI bar with Faith, Culture etc?

16. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

I think you might be reading into it too much if you think that has something to do with One World.

17. TheMarshmallowBear

I rarely see 2k twitter post screenshots.. that or I just don't notice them.

But what strikes me odd is why is the top bar of the UI gone.

Besides, it's something to talk about. Nothing better to do.

18. Liex

Liex King

Britney Spears confirmed in the xpack's Great Artists list!

Achievement: Kill a Great Artist named Britney Spears using a Spearman.

... how long until March 23th?

19. TheMarshmallowBear

11 days I presume.

20. Eagle Pursuit

I doubt that post has anything to do directly with one world, but if the twitter account was getting dusty, it might be a sign they are warming it up in advance of a publicity campaign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.