Civ World Registration

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by greshick, Jan 6, 2011.

1. aclades

aclades Chieftain

Hi, I specifically made both a facebook and a civfanatics account just to be able to play alpha. So no one of this team made it into alpha then?

2. zerotwo

zerotwo Chieftain

Yay, another company wants to datamine all of my personal information! Hooray!

Oh Facebook, I hate you so much but I have such necessity for you.

Hope ya'll have fun though. :D

3. aclades

aclades Chieftain

Well my newly created Facebook account has zero friends, good luck data mining that :p

4. Cornhog

Cornhog Warlord

So, the Civfanatics group and the Weplayciv group didn't get in? They realize we're the biggest fans, right?

5. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

Maybe that's why. ;)

I bet they don't see the present Civ players as their target market for Civ World. PC civver's are likely to be too demanding and just get disappointed at the limitations.

But it could just be a numbers thing... too many alpha testers means too many leaks. And there are zillions of people who spend most of their life in facebook who would have had a head start on signing up for these types of things.:dunno:

Anyhow, the only reason I made a fb account was because of the announcement of this.

6. KidJustKid

KidJustKid Chieftain

Well, there's very little chance that people who are completely new to Civ as a whole would have found out about this, made a group of willing and likeminded people (up to 50) and signed up, and in under 5 days. If there are no Civ community teams, and it looks like there aren't, I wonder how many ppl they've got at all.

Tbh, I think daily users are not the norm, and daily users who also use social gaming services is even rarer. Throw in the lack of time and publicity, and I really don't know how this game is gonna get a proper going over. I'd rather have 2K work on _something_ to stop us moaning bout Civ5 constantly, like Sulla's recent rants. Ah well, does anyone know any decent, new, 4X games? Umm...

7. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Lol, define new. I haven't heard of anything new since V's release. Just the usual standby's until something great comes along.

8. KidJustKid

KidJustKid Chieftain

If you mean new to Civ, then people who have not played it before, or have not seen and read though CivFanatics/Apolyton/2K etc. People who haven't been been exposed to the full games.

9. aclades

aclades Chieftain

Nice to see I'm not the only one making a Facebook account just for the purpose of playing Civilization.

So since this will most likely be a social game, are there any plans for teaming up beyond alpha? If so I would like to sign up for it, I at least want to give social gaming a try before I completely discard it as rubbish.

10. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

No way to tell until they implement something. But I'll likely join a team or start a team if no team will have me. As you say, I'd like to try it out before completely discarding it as rubbish.

11. zarakand

zarakand Prince

Great that you don't announce it on the Civ Fan Pages...horrible community management.

12. peter grimes

peter grimes ... Retired Moderator

I'm up for joining a team (don't have time to head one, thought) if anyone is going to establish another one.

Just PM me.

13. Sarcerok

Sarcerok Chieftain

I signed up. I would love to help out. So far Facebook games are imo primative, I would love to see someone raise the bar a bit.

14. Freesmog

Freesmog Skeptic1938222569

Interesting Japan reference. Reminds me how popular Facebook is in Japan:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/technology/10facebook.html
    http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/tech-report/2011/01/japan-hates-facebook.html

Using Steam for Civ5 (and being disappointed), and now Facebook?! No thanks. I give kudos to the founder for becoming incredibly rich in his twenties, but it isn't my cup of tea.

15. CYZ

CYZ Toileteer

So, I haven't recieved any kind of email yet. But they aren't full yet right?