1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ3 NES 1

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Daftpanzer, Jul 30, 2006.

1. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

finnystan has saxony stuff

2. The Farow

The Farow NESer

OCC: What does that mean?

3. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

in the stats

4. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

:) yes Finnystan has saxony's background info in the stats on the first page, a mistake which ive now corrected.

Thanks for the orders, if anyone has any more orders could you please send them soonish? Ill let you know when i start updating, but wont be for 24 hours at least.

5. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Sending orders right now.

6. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

will send orders soon. need to send orders for anther NES first though.

EDIT: sending Now. photobucket is in matinince, so cant put up pictures.

7. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

"Heheh, that's good."

"What?"

"Check out this show."

"Madagascar?"

"Yeah, the penguins are great."

"Mmm hmm. They're computer generated Risk."

"WHA-AT? No! My whole world is collapsing around me!"

"Besides, what kind of a name is 'Kowolski' anyway?"

"Polish, presumably."

"What's a penguin doing in Poland?"

"Well, Pole-land, Poland, maybe he lives near the poles?"

Navv shook his head. "Risk, Poland is a country in north Central Europe bordered by Germany on the west and Russia on the east, who periodically invade it.

"I was involved in the Second and Third Partitions!" mentioned Emperor Francis II.

"That was nothing," replied Maria Theresa, I ruled during the First."

"I was involved in more partitions than you!"

A bitter fistfight broke out between the 18th century Austrian royalty. The penguins decided to leave for another room.

"That was odd."

"Especially odd. Aren't we supposed to be the odd ones?"

A knock came at the room's door, and Iggy dropped in.

"Heeeeeeeeeey!" said Risk. Navv rolled his eyes.

"Hi guys. Sorry I'm late, Molotov and Ribbentrop started arguing something about how their partition was better, or something like that."

"Odd."

"Tell me about it."

"Well, during the Fir-"

"No! No, it's just a figure of speech."

"So Iggy, how goes things in the rest of the Multiverse?"

"Well, I brought the Medes to the level of the greatest power on earth."

"'Grats."

"Then declared war on a country 1/6 my size."

"More expansion, or..."

"Then we fought indecisively for half a millennium."

Risk twitched.

"And I almost won but forgot to supply boats for a naval operation."

Risk spasmed some more.

"And was ultimately destroyed, burned, and salted."

Risk collapsed.

"By a Sumerian city state."

"Was that French guy involved?"

"Thlayli? He just has a musketeer. It was andis, the hedgehog guy."

"Hmm, we'll have to declare war on the hedgehogs now."

"Weren't they our allies in ZPNES?"

"It would seem that your existence in a different dimension run by the same mod would say that ZPNES is timefrozen, for the time being."

"Okay... and Iggy?"

"Yes?"

"YOU SUCK!!!"

"Not my fault. I was on a camping trip when I sent those orders."

"Yes, but it was a CAMPING TRIP!!! You have tons of spare time!"

"You don't get out much, do you? YOU are the one with lots of spare time."

"Who's the one writing this story when he should be doing correspondence work then?"

"Uh, I'm right here talking to you."

"Hmm..." pondered Risk, "That's odd."

Iggy gazed at his watch.

"Hey, the simpsons is on now! I have to go now."

"As you're in another dimension, the timeflow says that you won't miss a thing if you stay longer."

Iggy covered his ears and started shouting 'not listening' and walked out the door.

Just before the door shut a third penguin came barreling in, shouting something about "Wait, did I miss Ig-"

Out of the room, Iggy noticed the assorted historical figures shifting the walls of the room a few meters further to the left. Someone mentioned 'Lebensraum'.

"Very odd indeed." muttered Iggy, teleporting out.

8. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

you write some odd things

9. alex994

alex994 Hail Divine Emperor!

I find his stories to be very entertaining :p

10. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

oddnes is often entertaining like many of the sigs iggy has had.

11. Insane_Panda

Insane_Panda Deity

Orders to be sent tomorrow.

12. das

das Regeneration In Process

Its not as much because of the power, although it is highly intoxicating and addictive, but rather because the old dynasty lost the Mandate of the Eternal Blue Sky AND our integral homelands. Plus the Aahnad Empire's culture, as far as I understand it, is a one with which I could sympathize even more than with our original one; it is always, heh, good to add some fresh, power-hungry, war-mongering blood into an evil empire.

Anyway, it is probably too late to send orders and I wasn't planning anything in particular anyway this early; just sign that deal with Mycenae and consolidate our lands, grow cities and defend borders.

13. Daftpanzer

ok cool, thanks very much for your orders everyone, very nice story iggy :)

@Das, thats fine with me if your OK with it. PS i noticed your PM inbox is full :) (didnt want to send anything important)

*now starting work on update*

well not right now exactly, but any orders sent from now on wont make it into this update and will have to wait...

14. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

so i'm guessing update tommorow or late today?

15. andis-1

andis-1 The Hedgehog

Umidia shall be mineh.

16. das

das Regeneration In Process

I assume that the update will be here next morning?

17. LittleBoots

LittleBoots The Bloody Banner

Sorry Daft, but due to a variety of issues, I need to put a limit on the number of NESes I get involved in so I'm gonna have to drop the Picts. Good thing I forgot to send orders and whatnot ;)

18. Daftpanzer

Thats NP LittleBoots, feel free to drop by anytime and send some orders if you feel like it.

OK, update tommorrow. As usual ive wasted a lot of time fiddling with things... The game is done now, but i want to sleep now and write something tommorrow that will makes sense.

19. IronMan2055

IronMan2055 Korra 2011

so how many hours?

20. Daftpanzer

Hope this makes some sense. Quite a heavy emphasis on Ys, I was inspired by Disenfrancised’s orders, and just felt like wiring about their explorations and stuff :)

450-350AD
    This was a time of resurgence, exploration, adventure, glory and bloodshed.

Anguile reunification
    In 440 AD, a great battle took place in the forests north of Anguilearme, between the forces of the Anguile Empire and the old break-away states of the south. Masses of Campagnards faced each other head on, as the secessionist’s main army marched out to attack the gathering imperial forces. The secessionist leaders were confident that their well-organised army could easily buy more time for the city of Anguilairme to be fortified further…

But the revived Anguile military proved to be superior in every way. Later, it would be said that they were guided by divine forces in their quest to reunify the gallic peoples. Others say large portions of the secessionist army rebelled and joined the imperial forces. What can be said for sure, is that the imperial troops inflicted a truly crushing defeat on the secessionist forces, ambushing their army amongst the depths of the forest, and destroying it completely.

The unexpected loss of their finest soldiers sent the separatists went into despair. By the time the imperial forces arrived at Anguilairme, many of the city’s defenders were trying to switch sides, or had already fled. Nonetheless, some fierce fighting occurred before the city was captured, and in the aftermath a great fire swept through the streets - rumoured to have been ordered by the leader of the imperial forces himself, as a symbolic act to purify the land of separatist corruption. The fire raged out of control, until the great city of Anguilairme was reduced to almost nothing.

Caedenbourg was the last bastion of the hard-core separatists. It held out for several more years, until it finally fell to the overwhelming force of the restored Anguile Empire. In the following decades, imperial forces fought a grinding war of attrition against the barbarian strongholds along the borders. The warriors of the black hills, on the border with Ys, put up some particularly stubborn resistance. But all where eventually destroyed, and the Anguile forces were able to consolidate their expanded borders.

The failure of an over-ambitious expedition to the island of Buto was Anguile’s only real setback during this time.

*A couple of really lucky battle results for Anguile forces meant they easily destroyed a whole enemy army. Then, the AI decided to destroy Anguilairme completely. I thought that was a bit much so I re-settled it.

Saxon expansion

After 450 BC, Saxony had several strong rulers who were determined to expand their territory by force. First target was the minor power of Fyswald in the north. Rusadirhn was not able to resist the hordes of tough Saxon axemen, and it was renamed Oldenbourg by its new masters. The city of Salda looked sure to follow, but its citizens were able to appeal to Ys for assistance, and became part of their league.

With access to the sea secured, and Salda under the protection of the Ys, the Saxons turned their attention to fighting the surrounding barbarian tribes. By 450 BC, they had gained more land around their borders, and had emerged as one of the strongest military powers in the area.

Yssian Resurgence – the great voyages
    It has also been quite a noteworthy century for Ys under the leadership of the two long-lived Henrii’s. First, Henii the Navigator came to power around 430 BC. Under his rule, Yssian confidence was soon restored. The old trade routes across the northern seas were revived, and with them came increased influence. After the Saxon attack on Fyswald, the city of Salda appealed for help, and became a protectorate of Ys. Salda soon became the regional trade centre, taking trade away from the Finstad.

Meanwhile, the shipyards of Ys were building many fine new ships. Some fought against barbarians and pirates in the northern seas, while some ventured far to the south of Umidia and Catalya. The coastline there was found to be home to peaceful tribal peoples, with Catalyan trading posts the only sign of civilisation. The Yssian ships headed further south still, until a storm blew them off course and beached them on a large island. The locals here were less friendly, and several of the landing parties were never seen again…

With nothing remarkable yet discovered in the south, other expeditions ventured into the eastern sea. With sturdier ocean-going boats, they set out to find the great island at the eastern edge of the world, which the voyagers of the old league were said to have explored. One expedition never returned, presumably lost in a storm on the great seas. There were many obstacles to overcome when exploring the vast oceans, but most of them were psychological...

For instance, it was believed by many that a man’s heart will stop, or his spirit will be stripped from his body, in he travels too far from his place of birth. Others thought there was a great black fog at the edge of the world, from which nothing returned. Many others believed the world to be a great sphere, and the mathematicians of ancient Argos and Altyn-Kanalat had roughly calculated its size centuries ago – it seemed the whole of the known world only covered about half of it. But, it was widely believed that the other half was reserved for the gods, demons and magical beasts, and to venture there would surely bring down their terrible wrath upon all humanity.

Henii the navigator did not believe such things, and he insisted that another expedition be sent, this time promising to lead it himself. After many weeks of avoiding storms, the sick and starving expedition finally reached the island of legend.

They found it split into two – one half ruled by the people of Ember, descendents of a secret Ysian trading post from the days of the old league. They had intermarried with the local peoples, who in appearance were like nothing seen in the known world, and they spoke a bizarre language that only half resembled the tounges of Ys. For centuries, they had been trading in secret with occasional ships from Catalya, but otherwise had no contact with the known world. The other half of the island was ruled by a native chief and his fierce warriors.

Henii the great navigator returned to Ys as a hero, but he had fallen ill during his travels and was never the same again. The last decade of his rule was a sad decline into weakness until he died in 390 BC. His son, also called Henii, came to power soon after, and began to build up Y’s military power and influence. Nazer was forced to give up its independence without a fight, and Yssian influence increased across the eastern coasts. Henii II’s greatest triumph came when an expedition sailed back to Ember, this time with enough troops to overthrow its leaders and install a governor loyal to Ys – thus ending all direct trade with Catalya.

Yet all the while, the independent cities of Dalriada in the north had refused to cave in to Ys. After all diplomatic efforts failed, Henii II organised a large invasion force. But the warriors of Dalriada put up stiff resistance, and defeated the first invasion. Ys returned with more and more troops. Penan eventually fell, and the other main city of Brest was soon facing overwhelming odds. Henii II died in 350 BC, and became known as ‘Lord of the Eastern Sea’, although he never saw Dalriada totally defeated…

*The Ys AI actually did all its own exploring and island invading

Aahnad Expansion
    The forces of the new empire were engaged in fighting with barbarian forces for many decades. The outposts of Ghulaman and Baralyk in the south west were captured before Altyn-Kanalat forces could take them for themselves. By 350 BC Aahnad has expanded to new heights, and now shares a larger and less comfortable border with the old dynasty of Altyn-Kanalat…

Meanwhile, the Aahnad emperors ordered the construction of a great library in Atil, to store and record all the knowledge of both east and west.

Partition of Onga
    The brave people of Onga were overcome by the combined forces of Panga and Yaktan. A new generation of military leaders arose in Yaktan, making the people eager for war and victory. Vast numbers of new troops were trained and equipped, and the ranks of the ‘Brute’ cavalry were also greatly increased in size.

Onga resisted the onslaught as best it could, and their troops fought back, raiding the lands around the Yaktan captiol. But the coastal lands in the south were soon lost, their towns completely destroyed in the fierce fighting. As Onga fell back on its massed ranks of Kian guard spearmen, the rebels in eastern Yaktan came to their aid, plunging Yaktan into a two-front war. The Yaktan army had also taken some heavy losses, and needed to rebuild. For several years there was a lull in the fighting.

It was at this time, around 410 BC, that a large expedition from Panga arrived to retake its former lands the east. Onga was kept under pressure, and began losing territory in the west. The leaders of Yaktan eventually regrouped their army and again attacked from the east, although the Yaktan rebels continued to tie down large numbers of their troops. Sokch’o, the last Ongan city, declared itself a protectorate of Taejon in 370 BC.

It took almost a century of fierce fighting, but the nation of Onga was completely destroyed. The people are still rebellious, but currently can do nothing against the massed armies of the invaders. Meanwhile, their island colony in the south became an independent city. The rebels in Yaktan were also crushed after some bitter resistance and heavy casualties.

*Pangan forces had to cross a narrow strip of Taejon territory to reach Onga. I allowed this due to the old treaties and good relations, and the fact that it was wilderness terrain anyway. But the areas captured by Panga are a bit isolated, and Taejon could decide to interfere with supplies at any time…

*Yaktan took the heaviest losses in this war. But this was made up for by the sheer number of new troops.

Taejon culture
    While Panga and Yaktan were at war, Taejon culture and influence was spreading further across asia. The order came to make the cities of Taejon cleaner and more beautiful in appearance, in order to impress foreign visitors. Some of Taejon’s finest minds were put to work on a sewage system to rid the mountains of filth from the sprawling suburbs of the captiol. Meanwhile, a major charm offensive was launched against the leaders of several barbarian cities - large amounts of money, luxuries, and beautiful slave women were the weapons of choice! The results were generally good, and several barbarian leaders submitted to Taejon overlords, under threat from other expanding powers.

But there was also a backlash - the fanatical warriors of Quinyan executed their leader when he became too ‘decadent’, and began raiding into Taejon territory. Quinyan was eventually conquered by Taejon forces after a long struggle.

Later, Taejon forces also conquered the northern barbarian stronghold of Kikuash, only to lose it again to an Ulak raid. The city then rebelled again… and was eventually destroyed by an expedition army from Altyn-Kanalat.

By 350 BC, despite some setbacks, Taejon and the other south asian powers had more or less removed the barbarian threat to the region, at least for now…

*Ended a brief Taejon-Ulak war due to the distances involved.

Barbarians of the north
    Finnystan has been plagued by constant attacks, and is now forced to give tribute to the surrounding barbarians. Motria enjoyed a period of power, destroying several barbarian strongholds, before having its own captiol razed to the ground.

The long-suffering peoples of Zekul suffered more losses of territory to barbarian attacks. Many were forced to flee across the sea, and settle in the harsh frozen lands of the northern shores.

Meanwhile, the lands north of Mycenae and Almoth are full of displaced and angry peoples, and the lands are awash with swords and weapons. A potential recruiting ground for mercenary forces, but also a dangerous area from which hordes of angry warriors could appear at any time.

Mercenaries of Buto
    After decades of relative peace across the Mediterranean, a large army of unemployed mercenaries and warriors is gathering at Buto. They are poor, desperate, and will probably launch an attack of their own against neighbouring lands and islands, unless they happen to find an employer...

Spending points results:
    Mycenae (1)
    The old city of Argos eventually submitted to Mycenaean rule after decades of careful diplomacy. The fact that Mycenae and Aahnad were on good relations made them feel more secure.

Ys (2)
    More naval units, a few free harbours, trade centre in Salda, bonus gold. Cities of Salda and Nazer eventually rejoined the league without a fight. Ys is considered to have more influence over Lenyahd, the pictish islands, and the eastern cities of Catalya, although none have joined. Extra units for attack on Dalriada, and Brest will probably surrender without further fighting.

Anguile (1)
    Extra units for attack on minor powers

Yaktan (2)
    Many extra units for war with Onga and rebels

Panga (1)
    Extra units for war with Onga.

Saxony (1)
    Extra units for attack on minor powers

Taejon (1)
    Barbarian leadership of Jaeyan and X were bribed to join the empire. Later, the Ongan city of Sokch’o also joined.

Bonus points:
    Mycenae +1, from gaining control of the old imperial captiol of Argos, and inspiring hopes of a great new empire to come.
    Anguile +1, from reunifying all the old homelands of the Anguile people.
    Panga +1, Iggy’s stories aren’t really about Panga but hey

Top 5 Cities
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/23807/t5c.jpg

Wonders:
    Great Library and Mausoleum of thingy have now been built…
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/23807/wonders.jpg

Maps:
    Europe (772k big)
    Asia

Stats:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=4340696&postcount=1