Civ4 to Civ3

Double click on the city icon at the very left of the domestic advisor screen. This will take you to the city you want to examine. When you exit the city screen, you will be brought back to the domestic advisor screen.

Ah thanks Willem. I am gonna have to check this out the next time I load up my game. I have been missing this feature. :goodjob:

I love the Call to Power 2. Yes the AI sucks but go to Aployton site, download the greated MOD\Patch witch makes the game really great. Graphically a bit hard to go back wards to, but game play is great.

No placing workers in tiles for food, coins or shields. No workers to develop the tiles, you use Power Works, like infrustructure, plus so many units, and techs to research. Different play style as well.

I love Civ 4 BtS, didn't like Civ 4 vanila so went back to Call to Power 2. Lost my cd now, and glad Bts came out. Hoping to find anthour copy of Call to Power 2.

What laptop do you have? I have one with x3100, and it plays Civ4 perfectly!

c2d 1.83ghz
3 gigs ram
vista

What settings do you use?

and when you say perfectly, what kinda frame rates are you talking about?

That's not entirely accurate. DIscovering Biology gives your farms an automatic +1 Food. Railroads give mines and extra hammer. Civics can effect them too. There are other examples.

I do know about biology in civ4, and i'm sure you would agree it is a very sorry excuse of an upgrade to try and represent all the farming innovations that have occured since the stone age to the modern age, What a flop.

And apparantly the modern age has no way of thinking up better mining methods from the stone age apart from dropping in a railroad! even more of a massive flop.

You see, actual real farm and mining upgrades add another key strategy to aim for in the science tree. You know, i mean, while somone else goes for riflemen you might go for 'mega mines' technology. If your opponent fails to press his riflemen advantage then he has to content with your increased production.

Indeed, improvements stay more or less the same during the whole game. Buildings, on the other hand, allow for what you talk about (factory?).

c2d 1.83ghz
3 gigs ram
vista

What settings do you use?

and when you say perfectly, what kinda frame rates are you talking about?

I have similar specs, but Win XP Pro. I also use single unit graphics, and with combat zoom disabled. Apart from that, on Medium settings, with standard zoom I get around 15-20 fps. This in my opinion is reasonable for a strategy game. Of course on a huge map and with a complicated map, fps drop below 10, but that's for something like Genghis Kai's Giant Earth Map 1940 scenario. Possibly I could get better fps by further lowering settings, and shutting down the twenty or so other programs running in background, but I'm too lazy for that.

On second thoughts, of course 20 fps is considered rubbish by hardcore gamers, but I never had a proper gaming rig, so by my standards it's pretty decent. So ok, maybe "perfectly" is an overstatement, but I'm happy.

I think it would be interesting to throw in another +1 food to farms. Or perhaps a building that gives +20% food output in a city. As well as a tech that would give +1 hammers to mines, perhaps machinery. I dunno the concept of adding these upgrades would really play a factor in balance because it can easily get too powerful.

I think it would be interesting to throw in another +1 food to farms. Or perhaps a building that gives +20% food output in a city. As well as a tech that would give +1 hammers to mines, perhaps machinery. I dunno the concept of adding these upgrades would really play a factor in balance because it can easily get too powerful.

I think civ2 had the right idea for a farm upgrade at least. Ballance is a good question, but i think having a serious goal in the tech path for improving production would have to add to strategy?

Anyway, i am comming from playing games like smac, so of course it is natural for me to be highly dissapointed with the limited tile improvements i find in civ4.

You see, actual real farm and mining upgrades add another key strategy to aim for in the science tree. You know, i mean, while somone else goes for riflemen you might go for 'mega mines' technology. If your opponent fails to press his riflemen advantage then he has to content with your increased production.

So the equivalent of biology would come in the medieval and by the modern age we have farms producing 6 or so food. Great idea!

So what's the hassle of using your arrow keys to cycle through all your cities? As I recall, that option wasn't available in Civ 3.

CAn't see how King Flav missed correcting this so I do apoligize if Im mistaken but if I read it right, I got news for ya. "In civ3 you can do that to!" ...
Spoiler :

Just what did you think those giant < > did? :sad:

Ya know really, can't see how you got by not knowing this with the game that lets you build real numbers of city's corruption and commy free if you feel need be. See having no corruption is unrealistic but having proper economic simulation through more basis on higher maintence charges to level corruption makes a proper lure to acheive balance

The attachment is a mod possesing the quality King Flav discribes, eqpt with a 'vassel patch' to tide the waves of red which wipe out the realistic rewards of expansion, just as civ4's maintence system does the same
This "unoffical patch" makes conquering Civ's capitals part of conquering corruption.
Combining this patch with full era mods, later in modern ages Vassels can be subbed for interpol wonders and additional prison improvements to stenghten realism and playabilty by fleshing out missing elements that tax the Gov's wallet with heavy infrastucture like interpols or a broader base of 'cor' reducer improvements effect on oversea output.

Civ4 has a ungodly maintence price, ignoring the real spoils that come with occupation. IT ignores a real facet of history. Civ3 moded has acheived the perfect balance

THe bigger threat was always corrupt 'distant' officials gone nuts with power and isolation. Paying farout for upkeep, what bogus. A citys upkeep was false and irrlevent. If They wanted the locals to like them, these offshoot Gov'ners would keep the city running smooth by bribing other officals thus win the love of the local power structure. Inturn, this fueled an atmosphere to withhold riches knowing they could unite or raise a revolt. If, the Capital has negleted to install proper expensive corruption deturrents from the start.
These buildings such as Police/court/prisons/gallows built slowly but with cash payment, keep sheild output unhindered at crucial periods of start up boosting self support and upholding strick adhernce to empire loyalty.
So its seen in Civ3 far away colonies stay in order and are feasable when you have develped economicaly, technogically and socially as a civ. Its more strategic elements infused to a greater degree of historical simulation Who belives civ4's expansion policys which focuses soley on crushing maintence upon a gush of newly aquired citys, is realistic or fair?. A blend of both realtys and freedom to choose is what Civ3 players enjoy.

You must decide, is the maintence cost worth the price of a city that can spring out troop support more quickly?. Are these areas worth massive cash injections and contined 'maint' support or are a few trade hubs heavily fortified by higher unit fees more sustainable? Contenital 'Cor' reducing wonders like Interpol or winter palaces can be established more quickly upon investments to protect profits and mange the New world empire 'Cor' influx upon its further economic growth .

Civ4 is Good horsehockye for MP but its just not able to represent multiple far flung empire's when average empire size is 15 cities a peice lol
Whats the point of building a spectacular mod when the core games foundations are faulty? Tell me how many can play a mod that adds to the main frame( ex : Units , wonders resource's ect..) and still has room to let you play solid runs with as many cities as the former game ( over 500 cities 31 civs no slowdowns on any 5 year n less old rig )

The city < >'s cycle your instant attention to nation wide levels of address. For instance flipping to food production instead of sheilds after a "Gov" change halts production across the board, also to balance happyness as result of absence of Lux slide bar influences
Its crucial for a timely response in correcting large number of reactions from mid game and wide array of trigger variables. Lazyness can lead to neglect and erode your chances of success. In 'unofficial ' civ3, You can't afford to make mistakes after new disciplines like the 'Army patch' gives back the AI's full use of army offensives while ending the human's reliance on a famous HOF reamer's 'invisable' and invinciable "army expliot:

Like How do you update each city's status after a common occurance like lose of a luxury? The city screen is where all the business gets done. Click the center city graphic icon at the heart of the 'fat cross' and your output que in set to the best option based on Gov's menu preference (Prod/ food or commerce). You can fix 80 citys in less then 60 seconds easy

We have bitter troll here. The Typical whiner of refined Civ3 strategy, one who never even took the time to understood how to work the controls easily availble to everyone. (not needing TO be on fireaxis payroll like MAJORITY OF POPULAR CIV4 MOD MAKERS ARE)
Still, guy like this figures he knows enough to compare the two games for someone lookin for genuine opionions. Rigghhht.....lol
More likely as other have pointed out, he just likes to troll on some civ3 for some kiddie reason. Not someone to take seriously for advice im just pointing out.

SO guys for peeps like Will who spill streams of steady lametrocities on the civ4vs civ3 threads bout the game being made up of mindless expansion, crippling corruption or hindering expliots, Id say sure but only if you choose to play the way of an arcade junkie hurtin for his next highscore fix online.

Lets face it, anyone who can work a civ3 editer knows the other game is a shame in comparison. A mini me 'child spoofed' version of civ3 that takes the root focus off performance and avg user flexabilty, destroys a player's freedom for greater proportional simulations and the deverse challenges that come with it.This all in quest for more market share of arcade kiddies and the MP trend this quick-fix congregation requires .
Civ4 lost its sence of authentic variable realism and open ended play. Result, Civ3 still enjoys a greater sence of control and strategy today. In part to its more seamlessly n' smoother overlay but also its needless complications in recontruction of Fireaxis flaw.

Heres a poll in OT where a higher concentration of adults and intellectuals frequent. If your a expectin the recent game to be winning " You'll probably be disappointed" ..by a long shot ;)

Attachments

• END STATS  SCOTT INC.JPG
    END STATS SCOTT INC.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 2 JEW ARMYS TO THE RECUE.JPG
    2 JEW ARMYS TO THE RECUE.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 83
  • bagdad.JPG
    bagdad.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 81
  • civ3 zoom out.JPG
    civ3 zoom out.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 77
  • CPDY.JPG
    CPDY.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 101
Double click on the city icon at the very left of the domestic advisor screen. This will take you to the city you want to examine. When you exit the city screen, you will be brought back to the domestic advisor screen.

You can right click on that icon too, that way when the city screen comes up your music plays instead of the "city sounds". I usually play with a customMusic folder, and rather just continue listening to music than hearing background noise.

So the equivalent of biology would come in the medieval and by the modern age we have farms producing 6 or so food. Great idea!

Well there are allot of key farming innovations throughout history. And thats not including all the many small advancements that add up to one big huge amount over time.

So obviously i would be more likely to believe that pigs from Mars were invading Earth than the current farming regime in civ4 has the slightest grip on reality!

DEFINITELY get Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic cuz it's as good as TBS games with 2d graphics get, and there are a couple mods out there that make it even better. my personal all-time favourite is still Warlords 3: darklords rising, that has got to be one of the most replayable games ever, I've played it for roughly ten yrs and never got bored. but I have to admit that shadow magic is way better on a whole. trust me and give it a try. and then switch to fall from heaven when you get a better laptop :lol:

As you can probably tell we have a few civ3 preachers here. "Play civ3 or BURN." :)

As you can probably tell we have a few civ3 preachers here. "Play civ3 or BURN." :)

Also we see the "Civ4 Rules ans the bestest! else, your just a JERK!" type crowd has joined.
edit: make that " BIG jerk" ;)

P.S What happend to that ol rod civ3 spirt of yours Smiddy? Oh right, totally eradicated by good ol' Preacher Jones .Ya you hate but face it, Im the one who puts out flames , whether its against my name or the game. ;)

While we are on the topic, can anyone reccomend some other great strategy games that might run on this computer?
You may want to try Galciv2. Yet with Vista I had to have at least 1.5 GB of ram to play on large maps.

Top Bottom