Civ5 Box Art Released

Based on the box art, I suppose the leaning tower, pearl tower and big ben will be the new wonders?

The leaning tower is also on the CivIV Box. (Gold Edition, probably Nilla too; The Gold is Nilla -- just all gold colored.) So is the Washington Monument and the White (...Gold...:king:) House.

The art is rather busy; The placeholder seems like it certainly would have attracted me more.

My favorite boxes are Age of Empires III boxes, they're really rather simple with just enough art to make it pretty.

I've seen talk that the other generations of Civ games included a road down the middle, but I only noticed that with CIV, my CIII game is just a vault. There's not much room for development there, and that one isn't a very exciting box art. (then again, that's CIII complete) This one is more exciting than the CIII Complete box art and although not as focused as the CIV box art, it's still more exciting. The "I'm a newcomer, this game looks cool" factor of the CV box looks promising. CIII Complete wasn't as attracting to newcomers, and all the CIV box arts were pretty attracting to newcomers.

The Special Edition seems mostly to have the minimalistic box art of the logo pasted on a black background, and I have to say that that box art is paramount to the normal version's. However, I believe that the developers were right in using this box art for the normal version, because the minimalistic box art would only attract the hardcore fans of the series; in contrast, the purpose of the normal version's box art would be mostly to attract newcomers to the franchise, and the box art would seem to serve that purpose quite well. Now, I do disagree with those who say that the box art has neither theme nor order to it. It proceeds from the agricultural, grassy planes and the sands of Egypt to the advanced cities of the modern world in the background to the space age right above it, but the disorganized troops do obscure the message behind the image.

What do you keep the disk in, then? I keep mine safe inside the box, as to avoid scratches, and other badness that would render it useless. Until the patch comes out for CV complete that lets you play without the disk, the best idea is to keep it there. A sleeve works, too, but that's an unnecessary step to take when the box is right there...unless you like scratches and doing other nasty business to your disk.

What do you keep the disk in, then? I keep mine safe inside the box, as to avoid scratches, and other badness that would render it useless. Until the patch comes out for CV complete that lets you play without the disk, the best idea is to keep it there. A sleeve works, too, but that's an unnecessary step to take when the box is right there...unless you like scratches and doing other nasty business to your disk.

Inside the PC... All the time.

Alright, that's true, I did that BtS before I forgot it was there and when I took my laptop to the airport they made me remove the disk before going through security :crazyeye: I still play CIII though, and that's currently in my disk drive :p

Yes in one of the DVD drives,
If a patch comes out rendering the cd not needed I put it in a cd case and store it with the rest of Sid's Gems

No scratches ever, Civ2 Gold looks like I just bought it but it's probably as old as some of you LoL

The all-black used before this was nice and drastic, though. I wouldn't have minded just the plain black with gold lettering box art.

But the problem is if someone saw it in a shop they'd just assume it was placeholder art for a game that wasn't released yet and ignore it.

This looks nice though; almost makes me regret buying the Digital Deluxe version!

I'd go along with the idea that they want to have more people actually look at the game and want to buy it, rather than pass it by. We'll all just have to wait and see what Civ V is really going to be like. I just hope that Firaxis didn't take a step backwards with it.

ugly...

i agree that no timeline in this...
anarchy...

looks like ANY game for kid...
are civilization players kids????
ain t we mostly are fans from Civnet since 1992 (or 1993)??
think they can do more serious, for such a serious and complicated game!!!!

They are rated E 10+, so any kid seeing it who's older than 10 can buy it no problem, and any kid younger than 10 (as I was when I was first introduced to CIII) can always get their parent's permission. You make the assumption that all Civ players are registered on CFC. But in fact, many kids aren't allowed to go online without permission, so presumably, we may be a large percentage of civ players, but the kids may be another large percentage

They are rated E 10+, so any kid seeing it who's older than 10 can buy it no problem, and any kid younger than 10 (as I was when I was first introduced to CIII) can always get their parent's permission. You make the assumption that all Civ players are registered on CFC. But in fact, many kids aren't allowed to go online without permission, so presumably, we may be a large percentage of civ players, but the kids may be another large percentage

Civ is not a kids game, kids play COD: Modern Warfare 2 and such.

Civ is not a kids game, kids play COD: Modern Warfare 2 and such.

Not that a Civ kids game wasn't attempted: Revolution.
Civ5 -could- be an attempt at that, hence why it's so dumbed down.

There's nothing wrong with CoD...besides, there's no reason CV can't be a kids game and still be fun for everyone else, I enjoy CivRev fine.

Top Bottom