1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ5 Box Art Released

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Ginger_Ale, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Abremms

Abremms Prince

nope, its comin out in stores and online. you'll need to activate it online via Steam before you can play tho. big FAQ on that sticky'd in the civ5 forums.

2. i_diavolorosso

i_diavolorosso Prince

Epic fail IMO
    IMO, any art(the visual one especially) must have a "Center point" where all attention would turn on that point, no matter the rest of the picture is
    Which i can't simply found in this one

3. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

No apparently it's still steam online activation. Several retail box games have had an internet activation requirement (GTA 4) or a Steam requirement (e.g. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/gamestop_delcares_war_steam) .

4. Corei7Maniac

Corei7Maniac Chieftain

5. Centurio

Centurio Warlord

From this box art, I get the disturbing impression that the modern era will be overemphasized with past eras as little more than a rushed afterthought. Additionally, the presence of military units on the cover suggests that there will be more emphasis on warfare this time around. As always, I am concerned that visual appeal will overshadow the need for deep game-play, and we'll get some watered down Civilization Revolution-esque shell of the series former self. The strange feeling is that just seeing the box art brought on all these feelings about the game. While I know it is not prudent to judge something in such a superficial manner, presentation is an important part of selling a product well and usually the box art suggests the themes in the game. In addition, I agree with previous comments that the cover has no focal point and lacks direction. In my opinion, a simplistic black cover with the phrase 'CIVILIZATION V' on it is preferable to this mess reminiscent of a tabletop war game miscegenated with SimCity.

6. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

Very ugly. Won't attract any builder-type players but only war-fanatics.

7. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

I'm a builder-type player, and I LOVE it. Better than the earlier games, in my opinion. Looks cool and modern.

8. mamba

mamba Deity

Don't interpret anything in the box art, other than it probably is for Civ V. If you did that with the (vanilla) Civ 4 box art, you would come to the conclusion that there are no units in the game any more :D

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I like it. Plenty of detail all around. I don't think it's hurt any by not having any one focal point - if one's into analogies, one could say that there is no one focal point on the box art just as there is no one focal point in the game.

Better than the Civ4 box art IMO. Big road ending in a nuke... not my ideal. Same with the Civ4 box's drab, tan theme.

The all-black used before this was nice and drastic, though. I wouldn't have minded just the plain black with gold lettering box art.

10. Mango Elephant

Mango Elephant Deity

Well, I think it's beautiful! :smug:

11. Vortilex

Vortilex Imperator Mundi

And nothing is more minimalist than the Roman Praetorian, right? (looking at your profile pic)

Edit: I guess the phrase "Never judge a book by its cover" would be appropriate here, with game substituting for book.

12. TheDS

TheDS Regular Riot

Check out the tech tree and you'll feel even more like it's just a modern war sim with earlier eras bolted on. I hope it takes like 30 turns to research a tech or it's gonna be a quick game.

I agree it's too chaotic. There's nothing you should be looking at, it's just a bunch of crud mashed together. I didn't even catch the "wonders" until someone mentioned them.

Since the game was designed with Panzer General inspirations, the way flak works in THAT game is if an aircraft attacks a unit adjacent to a flak unit, the flak unit gets to defensive-fire first. Same thing happens if a land unit attacks another land unit adjacent to an artillery unit, btw.

13. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

Didn't that happen in one of your Civ 3 stories though?

14. Centurio

Centurio Warlord

Oh, great... looks like my legions aren't going to be so useful after all.

15. Lord Foortwenti

Lord Foortwenti Chieftain

Hear Hear

I really dig the "placeholder" art w/ the big, gold V on the black background and kind of assumed that it was the box art. It had gravitas, and kinda screamed out at you "CIVILIZATION V is here :):):):):)es!". It was an image that made me think that this was not just your ordinary game, it is something special. Eye catching to say the least.

Don't get me wrong though, I actually don't have any problems w/ this new art, it is nicely composed and definitely conveys what the games is all about. So in that aspect I guess it serves it's purpose better then just the logo on black, as someone that isn't familiar w/ the franchise wouldn't know exactly what they were looking at if they hadn't changed it. At quick glance the game could've been anything, and it could be argued that people would be less likely to pick it up off a shelf. Personally I think the opposite would've happened and people would've been drawn to it b/c it set itself so far apart from the usual video-game case.

In the end though, I don't really care what's on the outside, as long as what's inside the damn box continues what the first 4 civ games have started, I'll be more then happy.

16. The Almighty dF

The Almighty dF Pharaoh

Well, it sums up what Civ5 looks to be: A TBS focused on the 1900s+ with earlier eras shoehorned in, so it works.

17. shiyu74

shiyu74 Chieftain

that is so true..............................

18. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

Well, I like it.

And my predictive guess of a petition to change it emerging was on the money:

Anything and everything relating to Civ5 on this site is getting waaaay too predictable.

19. Erufailon

Erufailon Chieftain

I support abbrems on the minimalistic style. The first three games had box art that was more simple, more artistic and more subtle (I still think the first one was the best). Then came IV, and though it wasn't bad, it just looked more like a game than it previously had, when it looked more like a piece of art. This just looks the same as IV

20. Abremms

Abremms Prince

im certainly not judging the game. im sure the game will be amazing. I won't even be buying a store copy (i <3 steam) so my opinion is just that, an opinion.

i think its a good cover, i just liked the placeholder better is all.

if i were shopping in a store and i saw the two covers side by side without know what civ was, i'd be turned off by all the goings on in the new cover, and intrigued by the simplicity of the placeholder. thats just my tastes.