Civ5: US WW2 Tank: M4 Sherman

snafusmith

Unit Maker
The M4 Sherman, formally Medium Tank, M4, was the primary tank used by the United States during World War II. Thousands were also distributed to the Allies, including the British Commonwealth and the Soviet Union, via lend-lease. In the United Kingdom, the M4 was named after Union General William Tecumseh Sherman, following the British practice of naming their American-built tanks after famous American Civil War generals. Subsequently, the British name found its way into common use in the U.S.
- Wikipedia

The download includes 3 skins - early star, late star, & yellow star (Tunisia I think). Make sure the one you want to use is named 'M4.dds.'

DOWNLOAD HERE!

ENJOY!
-Smitty

Nice Shermans there. Excellent job!

Very nice 'ronson lighters' Smitty :D

You had me worried as we had not heard a peep out of you for a while.

Thanks, guys! I think it turned out to be one of my best units. I really studied the textures of the vanilla units so that way it would look good in game. I get really busy sometimes with life, and I'll go a while between units. I'm still here though!

great unit as always!!

Great unit Snafusmith.
One question : how can I use more than 1 skin at the same time? If I'm right I need to change the .gr2 file. Which programm do you use to open it ? thanks

@Hulfgar: No, there's only one .gr2 per .fxsxml (per model). You just add another row(s) with a different UnitMemberInfoType and the same UnitInfoType to the ArtDefine_UnitInfoMemberInfos table.

@Hulfgar: No, there's only one .gr2 per .fxsxml (per model). You just add another row(s) with a different UnitMemberInfoType and the same UnitInfoType to the ArtDefine_UnitInfoMemberInfos table.

Is this not an issue given each gr2 is linked to one dds image file. Form memory, the game does not like identically named gr2/dds files.

WARNING: I am assuming you have tinkered with units previously and have a copy of NexusBuddy installed.

The way get around this is to create a new copy of the gr2, fxsxml in a new location and rename them to something like xxxxx_2. I then grab the alternative dds file I want and rename that in a similar fashion. I then use the NexusBuddy tool from this forum to open the gr2 file and reassign the existing dds to the new dds. Save and then go into ModBuddy and do the usual artdef stuff.

Hello Nutty

yes but if I want to use the US and the Tunisia skins I can't have two M4.dds files, and if I want to rename 1 of the files (say in M4 tunisia.dds) I need to make a new gr2 file to point to the right skin for the 2nd .fxsxml file (or did I miss something?).

Ww2commander, thanks that's the solution I was looking for and feared : now I just have to get NexusBuddy working again.
For some reason it's crashing when I try to launch it now! I suppose the solution is somewhere in the tutorial part.

Try the version that danrell has posted in his toolspack in the CFC database.

Forgot to add, you also need to open the fxsxml file and edit the gr2 entry in that file. This can be done in ModBuddy or Notepad.

Sounds like everyone answered your question before I could. Pretty simple: create a new gr2 file that reads a differently named texture file, then make a new fxsxml file for your gr2.

Top Bottom