CIV6 Civs and Leaders

Ryuu Falconwing, Denkt,

Ghandi indeed has a very good chance to be there. Would be surprised if he diddnt show up on vanilla.

What do you guys think will happen PR wise with civ 6. Will we see small bits every week till launch. Like a small reveal each week.
Do you guys think it will go the same way as Beyond earth for civ 6?

Ryuu Falconwing, Denkt,

Ghandi indeed has a very good chance to be there. Would be surprised if he diddnt show up on vanilla.

What do you guys think will happen PR wise with civ 6. Will we see small bits every week till launch. Like a small reveal each week.
Do you guys think it will go the same way as Beyond earth for civ 6?

I predict a small corner of a different leader screen every other week, and it will be deciphered in under an hour by the crazy people here.

I still cannot believe how you guys figured out portugal in CiV.

It make sense to trickle in some new information about the game every now and then so to maintain the hype.

Ghandi have been confirmed by the trailer which don't surprise me the least.

If we're going by that logic (which I'm not saying is flawed by any means), then Teddy Roosevelt's also been confirmed.

The Ottomans - why focus only on the Ottoman Empire, when you can focus on the entire Turkish history? I would call them the Turks, not the Ottomans.

Why not put for example all the germanic nations/empires which were present in Civ V all together then and call them Germanics or Germans?:
  • Germany
  • England
  • Netherlands
  • Sweden
  • Austria
  • Denmark
The same could be done for other groups too. I don't think this is the right approach to make civilizations for the game. To understand why not to combine all to one group is that there are still large difference between them based on culture, religion and language.

The same applies to Turks too. I think you should take a good look to all the Turkic empires/states/dynasties of present day and in history. There are very large differences from 1 Turkic empire to another.

I could say who I don't want to see - any civilization which could consume city-state without ability to free them. Having Austria in Civ5 on the map punished any city-state oriented civilization a lot.

They weren't originally going to go with the Shoshone, but the Pueblo until the famous request by the Pueblo not to be included. Would the Pueblo have been well represented enough in mainstream Americanized pop culture to not be decried as "political correctness"? I thought the Shoshone were an excellent addition, and I'd love to see more Native American civs. Plus, saying nobody has heard of an entire culture of people is... well it makes you seem ignorant. Ever heard of the Colonialist Legacies civ mod pack? Let's get some of those in the game.

It is political correctness. Almost no one outside of America has ever heard of the Shoshone, and their total impact on history is possibly less than even that of the Zulu. We have plenty of aboriginal americans in the game that make sense. The Iroquois were a major player, probably the largest and most powerful north american aboriginal peoples, and of course we have the Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs. For Africans, why did we lose the Mali but we kept the Zulu? The Zulu are a mere footnote in history. Yes, there are many Bantu speaking people today, but it's not like they've accomplished anything or had any impact on humanity whatsoever.

I know all the European powers are white, but I feel excited to play a civ like Rome or Greece, or England, because I feel like I'm playing as an historical power. That's true for Egypt and Babylon as well. But the Zulu? Shoshone? There is no feeling of greatness playing one of those civs.

I would swap Zulu for Kongo without a blink.

And for North America Iroquois are a no-brainer but anyone else? Anasazi/Pueblo, or Cahokia/Mississippians. The problem that most of the NA natives were either nomadic or not important.

It is political correctness. Almost no one outside of America has ever heard of the Shoshone, and their total impact on history is possibly less than even that of the Zulu. We have plenty of aboriginal americans in the game that make sense. The Iroquois were a major player, probably the largest and most powerful north american aboriginal peoples, and of course we have the Mayans, Incas, and Aztecs. For Africans, why did we lose the Mali but we kept the Zulu? The Zulu are a mere footnote in history. Yes, there are many Bantu speaking people today, but it's not like they've accomplished anything or had any impact on humanity whatsoever.

I know all the European powers are white, but I feel excited to play a civ like Rome or Greece, or England, because I feel like I'm playing as an historical power. That's true for Egypt and Babylon as well. But the Zulu? Shoshone? There is no feeling of greatness playing one of those civs.
I wasn't aware that "impact on imperialist expansions throughout history" was the sole qualification for being included in Civilisation.

My ideal list:

England: Oliver Cromwell in my dreams, otherwise Lizzie I
Germanies: Bismarck, or, because I love medieval stuff, Barbarossa.
Russia: Stalin in my dreams, otherwise Catherine the Great or Alexander Nevsky.
Spain: Isabella as the obv. choice. El Cid or one of the better medieval Castilians could be cool.
Portugal: Joao II or Pedro I of Brasil/IV of Portugal
Dutch: Willem I
France: Philip Augustus, Francois Ier, Louis XIV, Charlemagne, or I suppose Nappy.
Norsemen: Harald Hardrada. Or Canute.
Hungary: So many options: Bela IV is a good one IMO. St. Stephen would also be nice.
Ancient Greeks: Thucydides :p Anyone but Alexander the "Great. Or just make them city-states and make the ERE the Greece stand-in, as it should be
(Eastern) Roman Empire: John Tzimiskes, John II Komnenos, Basil the Bulgar-Slayer, Maurice, Heraclius... anyone but that moron Justinian/Theowhora
(Older) Roman Empire: Augustus or Julius, with Trajan, Hadrian or Diocletian as outside bets.
Dark Horse Bulgars: Simeon I or Kaloyan
Dark Horse Serbs: Stefan Dusan.
Poland: Casimir again.
Celts: NO DO NOT WANT REMOVE PLS. They are city-state tier.
Huns: NEVER AGAIN
Venice: LITERALLY A CITY-STATE
Austria: Extraneous waste, no.
Sweden: See above. Although Gustav or Charles XII could be cool.
(Norman) Sicily: Roger II

Ottomans: Hurrem, Nurbanu or Safiye Sultanas. If male, Selim the Grim or Suleyman Kanuni.
Iran: Pls go with Safavids or Sassanids (or split them!): Shapur, Khosrau, or Abbas the Great. No more Aramaic-speaking Achaemenids.
Northern India/Mughals: Akbar! ((instead we get white people's favorite person, Gandhi. UGH)
Southern India/Chola: Rajaraja I (instead we get white people's favorite person, Gandhi. UGH)
Khmer (find a good leader)
Siam: Ram Kham Haeng. Or Naresuan.
Vietnam: One of the Trung sisters or Uncle Ho
China: Taizong. Or one of the best Qing emperors just for lulz.
Mongols: DSCHINGHIS KHAN. There are no other choices.
Egypt: Thutmose III, Ramesses or Hatshepsut for teh wimmin quota. Hope they can get a Coptic voice actor...
Arabs: al-Mansur, because Morocco is not its own civ. Otherwise, Khalid ibn Walid or Harun al-Rashid. al-Andalus could also be cool. So could Oman-Zanzibar.
Indonesia: Gajah Mada or Tribhuwana Wijayatunggadewi
Korea: Kim il-Sung. More seriously, any one of their past leaders or that one admiral whose name I forget.
Japan: Tokugawa, Oda, Toyotomi Hideyoshi or the Emperor Meiji.
Armenia: Tigranes or some medieval ruler. Just put them in the game!
Hittites: that guy they had in Civ III
Babylon: The Dark Lord Nebuchadnezzar
Assyria: Ashurbanipal or Sennacherib

Ethiopia: Gelawdewos I, Fasilides, or that one from Civ IV. Rasta aside, Haile Selassie was mediocre.
Mali: Mansa Musa.
Kanem Bornu
Kongo: King Afonso I
Zulus: How about no, because Shaka is a bad Monty clone and the Zulu weren't a civ.
Matabele (?); Mzilikazi, professional badass.
Boers: Koos de la Rey, or Andries Petorius, or one of their other good leaders. Smuts?
Madagascar: Prime Minister Rainilaiarivony, the queen-maker
Swahilis: literal city-states.
Carthage: Hannibal Barca.

America: Washington or Lincoln. Or Nixon ;)
Triple Alliance of the Mexica: Montezuma
Shoshone (Pocatello)
Iroquious: At least find better city names
Cherokee
Canada: pffffffffffffft. Enough Euro-based civs as it is.
(Very Dark Horse) Mexico: Benito Juarez
Brasil: Pedro II again. With mandatory re-use of last game's war-music.
Maya: Pacal II
Inca: Pachacuti or Huayna Capac

Polynesia: Kamehameha.

It all depends on the number of civilizations in the game, and moreover, whether there'll be multi-leader civs or not.
Anyway, I'd like them to recreate some of BtS' brilliances like Khmers or ancient Ehiopians.

Randomly going to guess 24 to start? Maybe 32...

Seems Japan and Egypt are more or less confirmed at this point. No idea who the leaders are going to be.
I'd really like to see Meiji this time.
Or, in general, more emphasis on Industrial Japan.

Speaking about leader who likes wonders, they mentioned civilization which built more wonders than others. It's possible this time we'll see Greece as wonder lovers.
And with a non-Macedonian leader :)

And let's not throw civs that no one's ever heard of in the game just for political correctness, like the Shoshone. Come on. If the Shoshone can be in the game, why aren't the Nubians and Hittitites in it? Where is Sumeria, etc.
I agree. It's not nice to hear, but native north American cultures don't deserve to be a civilization in the game. If they do, not only Hittites and Nubians can, but also any ancient European culture like Hallstat or whatever, or any pre-Mongol central Asian tribe.
Ethnic sensitivity of modern day Americans is not a justification for adding those proto-civilized cultures.

My ideal list:

England: Oliver Cromwell in my dreams, otherwise Lizzie I
Germanies: Bismarck, or, because I love medieval stuff, Barbarossa.
Russia: Stalin in my dreams, otherwise Catherine the Great or Alexander Nevsky.
Spain: Isabella as the obv. choice. El Cid or one of the better medieval Castilians could be cool.
Portugal: Joao II or Pedro I of Brasil/IV of Portugal
Dutch: Willem I
France: Philip Augustus, Francois Ier, Louis XIV, Charlemagne, or I suppose Nappy.
Norsemen: Ragnar Lodbrok, or Harald Hardrada.
Hungary: So many options: Bela IV is a good one IMO. St. Stephen would also be nice.
Ancient Greeks: Thucydides :p Anyone but Alexander the "Great. Or just make them city-states and make the ERE the Greece stand-in, as it should be
(Eastern) Roman Empire: John Tzimiskes, John II Komnenos, Basil the Bulgar-Slayer, Maurice, Heraclius... anyone but that moron Justinian.
(Older) Roman Empire: Augustus or Julius, with Trajan, Hadrian or Diocletian as outside bets.
Dark Horse Bulgars: Simeon I or Kaloyan
Dark Horse Serbs: Stefan Dusan.
Poland: Casimir again.
Celts: NO DO NOT WANT REMOVE PLS. They are city-state tier.
Huns: NEVER AGAIN
Venice: LITERALLY A CITY-STATE
Austria: Extraneous waste, no.
Sweden: See above. Although Gustav or Charles XII could be cool.
(Norman) Sicily: Roger II

Ottomans: Hurrem, Nurbanu or Safiye Sultanas. If male, Selim the Grim or Suleyman Kanuni.
Iran: Pls go with Safavids or Sassanids (or split them!): Shapur, Khosrau, or Abbas the Great. No more Aramaic-speaking Achaemenids.
Northern India/Mughals: Akbar! ((instead we get white people's favorite person, Gandhi. UGH)
Southern India/Chola: Rajaraja I (instead we get white people's favorite person, Gandhi. UGH)
Khmer (find a good leader)
Siam: Ram Kham Haeng. Or Naresuan.
Vietnam: One of the Trung sisters or Uncle Ho
China: Taizong. Or one of the best Qing emperors just for lulz.
Mongols: DSCHINGHIS KHAN. There are no other choices.
Egypt: Thutmose III, Ramesses or Hatshepsut for teh wimmin quota. Hope they can get a Coptic voice actor...
Arabs: al-Mansur, because Morocco is not its own civ. Otherwise, Khalid ibn Walid or Harun al-Rashid. al-Andalus could also be cool. So could Oman-Zanzibar.
Indonesia: Gajah Mada or Tribhuwana Wijayatunggadewi
Korea: Kim il-Sung. More seriously, any one of their past leaders or that one admiral whose name I forget.
Japan: Tokugawa, Oda, Toyotomi Hideyoshi or the Emperor Meiji.
Armenia: Tigranes or some medieval ruler. Just put them in the game!
Hittites: that guy they had in Civ III
Babylon: The Dark Lord Nebuchadnezzar
Assyria: Ashurbanipal or Sennacherib

Ethiopia: Gelawdewos I, Fasilides, or that one from Civ IV. Rasta aside, Haile Selassie was mediocre.
Mali: Mansa Musa.
Kanem Bornu
Kongo: King Afonso I
Zulus: How about no, because Shaka is a bad Monty clone and the Zulu weren't a civ.
Boers: Koos de la Rey, or Andries Petorius, or one of their other good leaders. Smuts?
Madagascar: Prime Minister Rainilaiarivony, the queen-maker
Swahilis: literal city-states.

America: Washington or Lincoln. Or Nixon ;)
Triple Alliance of the Mexica: Montezuma
Shoshone (Pocatello)
Iroquious: Nah, I hated their civ.
Cherokee
Canada: pffffffffffffft. Enough Euro-based civs as it is.
(Very Dark Horse) Mexico: Benito Juarez
Brasil: Pedro II again. With mandatory re-use of last game's war-music.
Maya: Pacal II
Inca: Pachacuti or Huayna Capac

Polynesia: Kamehameha.

Ragnar Lodbrok for Danes is like Dido for Carthages D:

I just don't understand this way of thinking. Instead of finding excuses to exclude peoples based on subjective values, why aren't we thinking of how to include everybody possible?

Top Bottom