Civ6 Live stream in 12 mn (3PM EST)

He said it's for a Forza event.

He wouldn't tell us if he was going to 2K Games' office, I would think. Or he could make a little side trip while he is there. ;)

Anyway, perhaps just a coincidence. :D

My apologies if I have dragged it off topic a bit.

I did enjoy Ed talking about being able to play off AIs against each other using their agendas. He mentioned if you were playing a culture game and wanted to build wonders, you would anger the Chinese leader. So, you would specifically build wonders to get him to denounce you and then keep building them until he declared war. This would anger the Americans who would declare war on the Chinese. Then you could attack the Chinese with really no warmonger penalty and take a few of his cities and wonders in the process.

That sounds like a lot of fun. :D

They haven't given up much info about civilizations, leaders, uniques, etc. When did they reveal most of the civilizations that were in civ 5?

Great! If not, well, at least America will be fairly powerful on a Pangea map. :D

Others mentioned it before, but a Pangea map may still be counted as multiple continents (like hwo you have Europe and Asia as separated even if part of the same landmass, for example). Likewise an Archipelago map may have a cluster of islands to be considered the same continent. And if that is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the Lens is a continent one.

Teddy UA: Rough Riders; Bonus fighting on home continent;

Is that an ability overall for his empire, or is the bonus fighting on the continent an ability of the rough rider?

Is that an ability overall for his empire, or is the bonus fighting on the continent an ability of the rough rider?

It's for Rough Riders only. Although we could assume there's one UA for Teddy which is unknown yet.

It's for Rough Riders only. Although we could assume there's one UA for Teddy which is unknown yet.

Yes Ed B expanded on the unique in the Facebook live stream

So at the moment we have this, and it was heavily implied that America was getting another bonus to the Civilization Ability

Leader Theodore Roosevelt
Historical Agenda The Big Stick Policy - Does not like people who start wars on his continent
Civilization Ability Combat bonus on Continent
Leader Ability Rough Rider
Unique Unit P-51 Mustang
Unique Building Film Studio

Historical Agenda The Big Stick Policy - Does not like people who start wars on his continent
Unique Unit P-51 Mustang

Thanks for the summary bite :thumbsup:

The American Civ is looking great, and the Agenda and UA work together nicely.

Unique Unit P-51 Mustang

Not to nitpick but the rough rider is a leader specific unique unit, not a unique ability. The dev blog on the american civ lists it as a unique unit.

Not to nitpick but the rough rider is a leader specific unique unit, not a unique ability. The dev blog on the american civ lists it as a unique unit.

Ed B in an interview today stated that it was the leader ability and in the case of America it's leader ability was in the form of a unit, while with China it is extra builder uses

Ed B in an interview today stated that it was the leader ability and in the case of America it's leader ability was in the form of a unit, while with China it is extra builder uses

Semantics. In the case of Teddy, the unique ability is a unique unit. Whether you want to call it a unique ability because it is leader specific or say that in the case of America, the unique ability is a unique unit, or just say that the rough rider is a unique unit, it is the same thing in the end.

All the talk about Teddy and America's UA has left me massively confused. I mean, ok, there is a "stronger units when fighting in your own continent" ability. Is this ability...?

...the American Unique Ability?
...Teddy Roosevelt's Unique Ability?
...a bonus exclusive to Teddy Roosevelt's Unique Unit, the rough rider?

Also, it would seem to me that while every civilization would have a Unique Ability, only certain leaders will get leader specific Unique Abilities, while others will have Unique Units or Buildings.

This would create MASSIVE balance problems, since Unique Abilities are FAR more useful than mere puny flavour units: wider window of utility + affects more aspects of the game other than the military (not to mention that they are simply more flavourful).

Yes, instead of clarifying I was by the end confused.

When he described the China we know 3 of the 4 uniques.

His leader ability is the ability to use Builders to rush wonders in Ancient and Classical Era.

His unique ability is the ability for his Builders to have an extra charge. (I've also deicded to play as China first)

His unique infrastructure is the Great Wall.

And his fourh is a mystery.

They seemed to have made the point to describe that Unique Ability/Leader Ability (I think the latter) only covers the Leader's Lifespan (Hence the Ancient and Classical) whilst the other covers the entire game.

All the talk about Teddy and America's UA has left me massively confused. I mean, ok, there is a "stronger units when fighting in your own continent" ability. Is this ability...?

...the American Unique Ability?
...Teddy Roosevelt's Unique Ability?
...a bonus exclusive to Teddy Roosevelt's Unique Unit, the rough rider?

Also, it would seem to me that while every civilization would have a Unique Ability, only certain leaders will get leader specific Unique Abilities, while others will have Unique Units or Buildings.

My understand is that the "combat bonus on same continent" is the American Unique Ability, separate from the rough rider unit.

I do think that we should not get too focused on the leader unique ability. If each civ only has 1 leader when civ6 is released then that leader bonus will be the bonus that you get when playing that civ. So in practice, we can look at the American civ has having 1 unique civ ability (combat bonus to all units fighting on same continent), 2 unique units (the rough rider and the P51) and 1 unique building (film studio). The leader bonus will only really come into play if each civ gets more than 1 leader. At that point, we will need to look at the bonuses that are common to the civ and the bonus that changes based on the leader.

Another intriguing thing from the Q&A:
Remember when they were talking about housing? Ed mentioned one civ has an ability related to the Housing equation.

India? China (UA)? Japan?

I'm kinda feeling Japan on this one. They have some of the densest populated cities and a housing bonus would allow them to use small islands better.

I wanted to say India but if their policy of "no civ will be the same as in Civ 5" it rules them out.

Chinese UA is either the extra charge for Builders or the Ancient/Classical Wonder Rush.

One thing I noticed during the stream that nobody has mentioned yet is the Bomber's stats:

Bombard Strength - 80
Melee Strength - 65
Movement - 5/5
Bombard Range - 11

Obviously the numbers themselves might change, but I'm curious as to what the "melee strength" is all about. I don't recall ever hearing of air combat involving planes ramming each other in midair, so I wonder if it'll be used in defense against Interception.

Also, the civ 5 Bomber had a movement of 2 so if you had Logistics you could attack twice. If such a promotion exists in civ 6, then you might be able to attack 5 times. If not, then I'm not sure what the air unit's movement signifies (I do recall them saying air combat would be different).

Another intriguing thing from the Q&A:
Remember when they were talking about housing? Ed mentioned one civ has an ability related to the Housing equation.

India? China (UA)? Japan?

I'm kinda feeling Japan on this one. They have some of the densest populated cities and a housing bonus would allow them to use small islands better.

It would make sense for India or Japan to be a "tall" civ.

They haven't given up much info about civilizations, leaders, uniques, etc. When did they reveal most of the civilizations that were in civ 5?

We found out about all the leaders within the first few days. As I recall, there was a website that was something like "civilization.com/5/civs/america.html" and then people just went and replaced America with the other civs to confirm. Or something. Either way,we had access to every leaderhead super early. No access to info about their uniques, but we had the animated leaderscreens

Top Bottom