Civ7 Visuals Thread

General art style direction

• Realistic (Civ5 style)

Votes: 70 46.7%
  • Cartoonish (Civ6 style)

Votes: 27 18.0%
  • Humankind style

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Super Realistic (Unlike previous games)

Votes: 24 16.0%
  • Other

Votes: 20 13.3%

• Total voters

GeneralZIft

Enigma
I've seen some varying opinions of the visual side of the game, whether it should look cartoonist, or realistic, or something kind of in-between art style.

My question is this, what do you prefer, and what do you want overall from a purely visual side of the game?

I want clearly distinctive tiles - I don't like it when it's hard to tell between Hills and Flat. But what do you think?

If it looks like what we've seen from the other thread, it looks like it's in between the realistic Civ 5 and more stylized Civ 6, which I like.

you have opened a can of worms my friend. you have opened a can of worms indeed :lol:

personally i don't mind whatever the outcome is, Civ is Civ. People will take it seriously no matter how silly the visuals may be, and people will have fun and be silly no matter how grim the visuals may be.

If it looks like what we've seen from the other thread, it looks like it's in between the realistic Civ 5 and more stylized Civ 6, which I like.
If it ends up splitting the difference like that screenshot shows, I will be quite pleased.

I've watched teaaser. Fxis tend to associate Age of Enlightenment with Earlymodern Renaissance era.

This time Handcannon might become a unit before musketeer. and yes it exists before big cannon.
it seems FXis goons did read Civfanatics afterall, and began to heed @Boris Gudenuf 's opinions, and alot of history lectures here.

This time Handcannon might become a unit before musketeer. and yes it exists before big cannon.
it seems FXis goons did read Civfanatics afterall, and began to heed @Boris Gudenuf 's opinions, and alot of history lectures here.
It looked like it was China using gunpowder against the Mongol invasion. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a Chinese unique, similar to Civ 6 getting an earlier gunpowder unit.

The most important aspect for the graphics is that they should be clear when zoomed out. I often find it amusing when the spaceship takes off in Civ 6 because I suddenly notice all the attention to detail the artists have put in to little things like the cows when I have spent dozens of hours not noticing them at all.

If it ends up splitting the difference like that screenshot shows, I will be quite pleased.
Yeah. What I'm seeing in the 404 shot for the terrain looks spot-on.

The test will be to see what the units look like. For that I think the way Civ V did it was just right, and Civ VI was too cartoony.

I prefer the world to be a bit more realistic like in Civ 4 or 5. To me it's a bit more immersive when the world is bit more dirty and colors are more reflective of what you'd see in a panned out view of earth. It just feels a bit more lived in.

Civ 6 to me looks like its world was built by Illumination Entertainment. It's bright and vibrant but feels more like a board game than a place where people would exist.

As far as leaders go, I really hope they bring back the beautiful Civ 5 backgrounds. The Civ 6 leaders themselves were pretty great though I have no idea how they can improve on their models or expression

I want clearly distinctive tiles
This is the most important thing!

I chose other as I don't get the Civ VI is cartoonish take; as for Civ V that was a big step back from Civ IV with Blue Marble and BUG/BUFFY.

I hope FXS went all in on the board-game aesthetic, by making the map a literal board and the units literal game pieces, with the textures reflecting each era (stone for early game, wood for mid game, steel for late game, neon for possible future era, etc)

Since both Civ V ('Drably Realisticish") and Civ VI ("Loony Toons without the Ambiance") had their detractors, and since then every 4Xish game that came out got negatives about their particular style of map: Humankind = Beautiful and animated and detailed and unusuable as part of a GUI because it didn't specifically show you what kind of terrain you were on; Old World = Bland; Millenia = Same Old, Same Old, like Civ 5.5 - and so on, it should have been pretty obvious that Civ VII had to come up with something Different.

And from the first glimpse, it looks like they are trying to split the difference between the detail of Humankind, the ease of element identification of Civ VI, and the 'realism' (which isn't, but it's a 'realistic stylization') of Civ V.

It remains to be seen, with Resources and Units and more City Elements on a map, how close they've come to a graphic Sweet Spot for the largest number of gamers, but it looks very, very promising.

Frankly, the Civ 6 art style never bothered me. Civ hasn't looked better, (and it certainly hasn't looked worse than it did in Civ 5 so give that aesthetic a WIDE EFFING BERTH).

I wouldn't mind a continuation of Civ 6, maybe a bit LESS zany, but I feel like a lot of people are forgetting that Civ 4 was much more expressive and cartoony than Civ 6 was. Especially with diplomatic interactions which bordered on panto: Catherine slapping you about, Saladin obsessively stroking his goatie, Joao III rolling his STANK EYES at you like the flamboyant closeted regency homosexual he is, Gilgamesh grabbing you by the throat when you propose a bad deal, Pacal II's temper tantrums at the sheer mention of Sitting Bull (are we sure he is not based on Zaarin?), Montezuma being a straight-up lunatic, etc.

A style similar to what we saw in Anno1800 recently would be my personal choice. That game had gorgeous graphics that that the perfect balance between zany on one end, and realistic on the other. And everything looked great on top of that. The screenshot reminded me of that game first, so if that's the direction the Civ 7 art is headed, it gets my seal of approval.

Last edited:
Oh wow!! I saw the Civ 6 looking Volcano and dismissed it, didn't realise the background has these graphics!

I guess this makes this thread pointless in retrospect; but I love the new style if that's what it's going to look like

I prefer Civ6's art style over Civ5's as Civ5 was just dark and dull. They tried to make it too detailed which ended up looking grainy and dated.

Civ6 looks clean and clear, but unfortunately is under detailed, like an empty grassland is just a blank green tile, when it would be nice to have a tint bit of detail on it like a few flowers, a lone tree or two, bushes. Same goes for plains which would benefit from very sparse flora (or even fauna).

Hills Are often a bit taking point that just seem to be flattened graphically when it would be nicer to be clear.

- Color palette closer to civ5, I have never liked bright happy go lucky Pixar colors for a game which, after all, is about all human history good and bad, with war and tyranny and opression in the background...
- Vibrancy of civ6 (honestly idk how to combine that with the previous point)
- Leaders looking like realistic human beings from civ5, I heavily disliked civ6 with its Pixar characters happy go lucky to star in a children's cartoon - because of the emotional dissonance mentioned above. Even the ones that didn't look like inhuman caricatures and were decent overa were still to Pixar - like for my taste. Those are rules of empires who can all be literal fascist dictators lol.
- Expressive leader animations of civ6 (not a technical budget problem I guess)
- I would slightly prefer leader backgrounds from civ5 rather than the void of civ6, but I understand if they are not included for budget and effort reasons (I also get the argument "black void helps to focus on leader more)
- Brand new interface style taking the best of both civ 5 and civ 6

Top Bottom