1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Dec 3, 2010.

1. cugel

cugel Chieftain

"and the code for a decent civ 5 AI."
    In fact I have got to admit that I thought the Huns were doing well in a Craterlake map as the first opponent. They were quite friendly unlike their normal behaviour. I had to build close to my second opponent, the Romans, because they were close to a floodplain with a lot of horses and iron. And so, as the Greeks, I had to build a lot of forts to protect Sparta, my second city. At a certain moment I make an open border deal with a Hun that has been behaving perfectly. When I see an army move past Athens, on their way to Sparta and the Romans, I'm slightly worried, but as they don't molest my hardly defended capital, I think they are on their way to attack the Romans, but halfway between my two cities the Huns declare that they have fooled me and are now attacking me. I just survive the double war, because I had been building a strong army against the Romans, but I thought it a nice piece of deceit. Nifty.
    I shouldn't be posting this in the rants thread except to modify my earlier critique, on page 109, slightly.
    I still think this game eats way to much time and is slightly monotomous after having played it a good bit.

2. mrt309

mrt309 Chieftain

I keep playing the game with patience and trying to have fun but i come across with something annoying eveytime i play. For example in my last 3 games with the ottomans same things happened. By the way i play on emperor. I settled a city and it pissed off my neighbour. I was denounced and then attacked. I fought back and killed a few units then they asked for peace offering me all they had.

I find diplomacy childish in civ5. Every move you make grants you a negative modifier. Expanding, settling, building wonders, producing units, developing, fighting, winning, all cause bad relations with other civilizations. So what the hell am i supposed to do? I'd rather let the AI play happily.

After playing for a while unit management is becoming a pain. There are many units but there aren't plenty of hexes for moving. It's annoying.

To put it in a nutshell i am not having fun and largely dissapointed with civ 5. I will go on playing Civ IV until a magic wand touches Civ V.

3. scyt4l3

scyt4l3 Short Fused Invader

For the record, I've read the whole thread since it's birth. I kinda have fun reading this. In the end, I'm having free legit fun with Civ 5, even tough I dislike the game XD

FUUU Firaxis!

This thread is the bomb.

4. Shadow717

Shadow717 Chieftain

So I just came across an interesting problem, and i thought why the hell not put it in the rants thread, it certainly made me rage quit...

I'm defending a recently puppeted city from the German invaders. From the NE hex,a SAM unit attacks. (Now personally I don't even think that should be allowed, its a damn AA missle laucher, but thats not the rant :lol:)

The city is at low health and I find myself thinking, well at least no more units can attack it this turn. What a fool I was... With that being thought, a German panzer rolls under the sam unit that just attacked, and attacks the city from THE SAME HEX. The city lives and I think to myself, "well that was odd but I still have the city at least"

Again what a fool I was...

A lone german infantry comes out of the fog to attack my city from, you guessed it, the same hex that the SAM unit and Panzer attacked from. Yup thats right, 3 units attacked my city from the same hex in one turn. So I ask you....HOW?!

Now I think the panzer can probably move after attacking, so I can maybe let the panzer slide. Although move after attack or not, it still attacked from the same hex that the sam unit was in, thus creating a unit stack. But that infantry, I don't see any possible work around for letting him attack.

Oh, did I mention that the city contained my entire airforce when it was captured? Now I'm not normally one to reload a save, but I hit the damn exit button before the next turn even loaded. I didn't know the German UA was to allow unit stacking :p

5. Revent

Revent Will SIP

So much for getting rid of stacks.

6. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

I think the logic is if the units don't end the turn on the same tile, its ok. Which means it absolutely knew your city was going to fall. Humans can do this too. Still rant worthy when it happens to me though.

7. Funky

Funky Chieftain

Even the AI hates 1UPT so much meanwhile that it has reverted to stacking! Maybe we'll see it post in the rants thread too soon.

8. Revent

Revent Will SIP

So after going through all that effort to get 1 unit per tile, resulting in the whole game being ruined, they allow unit stacks. What was the purpose? They could've just given us a Civ worth playing.(Not that it matters; I have Civ IV)

9. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

And you should be getting back to the SGOTM:p

10. Socratatus

Socratatus Chieftain

No. It`s not a conspiracy, it`s true, I`m sorry to say. Official reviewers are about sucking up to the gaming companies, not revealing the truth to the paying Player. It`s because of veiled threats from gaming companies which Official reviewers threatening them. They upset gaming companies, they get no exclusives; they get no exclusives, they lose money, ergo, they`ll lie to their back teeth if necessary. Of course, these reviewers will argue to death that`s not the case (although one did admit to it without apology), but it`s the truth. It`s wrong, but that`s the brazon corruption of the system. That`s not to say that some games that get good reviews aren`t good, but watchout because BAD games will also get good reviews.

This is why I only read consumer reviews like Amazon.

11. Revent

Revent Will SIP

I am! I've been pretty good at spamming the thread :lol: Speaking of, I wonder why Civ V doesn't have SGOTM's :rolleyes: ;)

12. whyidie

whyidie Chieftain

If you're ok with 1upt (clearly you're not) its a small thing.

Will say that ~6 months into my V experience and each roll seems a bit too likeylikey. Not sure if it will have the staying power of IV.

Civ3 SGOTM's are way down as well :(

13. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

We don't need .dll files to run SGOTMs for competitive play? For now it's unofficial GOTM games and over 40-50 submissions for each game :)

14. calad

calad Chieftain

For me CIV5 in huge disapointment because I feel developers are plainly cashing customers of making new dlc and expansions. CIV series has long history so anybody would thought CIV5 would have many of its good elements but no.

After initial release it was clear there would be an expansion and it came eventually but expansion added more elements instead of fixing old problems.

Like why database is so hardcoded? Compare amount of mods between civ 4 and civ 5 should give you clear picture. AI is really bold on war (hint: really bad) and diplomacy feels ridiculous (ai is hard to understand and everything you do gives penalty) and it cheats very much (which is unfair). And then multiplayer: why only option is play to simultaneously? I want to do my turn alone and wage war without hurry (fact: fastest computer has advantage). And why you cannot enable mods in multiplayer (seriously)? Not mention missing graphics and all hosting, connection problems.

As you can see it takes 2 or 3 expansions more to bring out full potential of this game. In terms of time 2-3 years.

15. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I knew Civ V was bad but I'm stunned by these faults, did the people who wrote this know anything about the Civ Series??

16. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

You may have hit the nail on the head here.

Instead of Soren Johnson as Designer, you had Jon Shafer (albeit who was on the design team along with 7 others on BTS) - but also expressed his fondness for Panzer General and CIV III numerous times, so the end result of V shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise...

Instead of Jesse Smith as Producer, you have Dennis Shirk, who was promoted from Manager of Online Marketing :)crazyeye:) to Producer for CIV V. Although I can't argue that CIV V wasn't well marketed...

At the same time, it seems like the game is still selling well, and its brought in a new legion of fans. But it'll be interesting to see how CIV VI sells, and if enough of these new fans will exhibit the loyalty shown by older fans disappointed in V. But you'd think if V was indeed selling well, you wouldn't have to give away free copies...

Makes for an interesting read to compare the credits of IV and V. Here's some links to the credits for IV and BTS.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/sid-meiers-civilization-iv/credits

http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=52263&tab=credits

17. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Chieftain

One of my favorite criticisms of Civ V is in fact an extract of the lua code for map generation:
    Sirian tried to find some benefit to Jon Shafer's ruining the moddability of resources:
    Of course, you could already in Civ IV place resources finely in python if you so wanted, so Sirian's justification is bull****. Civ V's design, removing the xml parts, reeks of poor engineering. Map scripts are no longer as extendable as they used to be. Purposefully removing extendability options because one is unable to write rules in xml rather than llua just stinks.

18. Revent

Revent Will SIP

Being an avid hater of Civ V, I do have to admit, I like their opening intro videos...that's about all I like though.

19. RD-BH

RD-BH Human

LOL, I find the intro to Civ 5 Vanilla to be personally repulsive.
    The elder does not speak, in any way, to my hopes for the future.
    His vision strikes me as self-serving and non-inclusive.
    Civ 5 feels more militaristic/mercenary than 4 (IMO),
    ... so the video does fit the game.
    Still, I have the option to turn intro vids off ...
    ... other things?
    ... not so easy to work around.

20. Revent

Revent Will SIP

I don't know, I think it's kind of cool actually as a stand alone video :p I found it immersing the first time I saw it, obviously, I'm sure if I saw it a couple of more times, I'd get dead bored :lol: