Civilization 5 Rants Thread

Brazil's achievements speak for themselves. The most powerful country in Latin America, a multicultural society like the US, and the 7th largest economy in the world and still rising.

This is a less impressive statistic than it looks on paper - there's a huge gulf between the two or three largest economies and the rest of the top 10 (India's is two and a half times the size of Brazil's based on GDP corrected for purchasing power, for instance, and that economy is growing more rapidly while Brazil's has nearly halted in recent years - recent Forbes comments found in a quick Google search include such things as "Strong labour market, weak economy" (May 2013) and "Brazil's economy is bound to disappoint again this year" (April 2013)).

While tinged with a more than healthy dose of self-pity, Britain was bemoaning its 'impotence' in the world while it was still the world's fourth largest economy (and it is still the world's largest maritime economy); the modern country actually retains a lot of political clout, but that's due to the uncontested preeminence of London as a "global capital", the UK's role in the European Union, the global dominance of its native language, and its political links to the world's most powerful single nation. Brazil has none of those things going for it. However strong its economy grows, it will never be the world's largest by a long shot, and a South American country is very unlikely to ever develop the political clout of the leaders in the north, in Europe or in Asia.

For most other time periods, and from a modern South American perspective, Brazil's achievements would appear impressive, but we live increasingly in a globalised age where second-tier powers - even regionally dominant ones - have little significance in the grand scheme of things.

Pretty much the only reason Brazil hasn't received as much attention until now is that it has been overshadowed by the US (which, incidentally, is also a young country just like Brazil).

Which is a perfectly valid reason for not giving it attention - it's not as relevant as the US so simply doesn't warrant that attention. This is much like saying "Pretty much the only reason Lithuania hasn't received as much attention until now is that it's overshadowed by Germany".

If you don't think any of these are important then yes, that is pretty narrow-minded.

Importance within the context of civilisation isn't judged by present-day status, it's judged by long-term influence. Brazil has much more money and covers a far larger area than Sumer ever did, but it would be absurd to consider their contributions to world civilisation equivalent (or indeed the contributions of Brazil vs. the US). Based on the shoddy stereotyping of the Brazilian UA, it seems even the game's developers struggle to think of any credible way of representing Brazil in the context of a Civ game.

While Firaxis obviously needs to pander to fan input to some degree, Brazil simply doesn't fit in a game with Civilization's theme whatever its modern or future achievements. Soundly-hated choices like the Huns are better candidates because they did leave a lasting influence that helped shape the development of civilization. As far as I can tell Brazil's not even especially influential culturally in its own continent - it doesn't share a language with any other South American culture, and the continent's national heroes include such ephemeral figures as Simon Bolivar (whose name is enshrined in one country name and the currency of another), but not eminent Brazilians to anything like the same degree.

Personally I'm more offended that Firaxis/2K are marketing their laziness as a bunch of researchers. If they're too lazy to properly research a playable faction, where else are they going to cut serious corners?

I give you: Indonesian kris "swordsmen" with magical daggers.

Whose civ capital is Jakarta.

And yet somehow the US deserves to be a civ simply because...of what again? Because they are the most powerful country in the world at the moment?

Are you seriously going to try and argue that the US has had no influence on the development of world culture?

Brazil seems fairly multicultural to me; not without its share of problems, but then even the US and Canada have issues in that department.

So, your benchmark for Brazil's great achievement is that it is somewhat multicultural, but less so than several other countries (note your use of the word "even")?

This is a country that saw more horrific exploitation of its native peoples in the 19th Century than was found in most other countries at the time (in South America and elsewhere), that was the last European or European-derived nation in the world to abolish slavery (officially - the Brazilian government itself conceded in 2004 that several tens of thousands of Brazilians then lived in conditions "akin to slavery"), and that has an agency which until the 1970s was devoted exclusively to contacting and "civilizing" indigenous tribes. As far as cultural diversity goes, this ranks some way behind Australia, in which a substantial number of voters as late as the 1960s believed Aboriginals deserved no voting rights and which was described recently (in a satirical program, admittedly, but not without justification) as "cheerfully racist".

If you're defining "multicultural" in a sense as loose as "there are people from multiple cultures in Brazil", this is indeed true of Brazil - it was also true of Apartheid-era South Africa. As far as equal representation and respect for cultural diversity is concerned, this is really not an aspect of Brazil that Brazilians would thank you for highlighting.

This is a less impressive statistic than it looks on paper - there's a huge gulf between the two or three largest economies and the rest of the top 10 (India's is two and a half times the size of Brazil's based on GDP corrected for purchasing power, for instance, and that economy is growing more rapidly while Brazil's has nearly halted in recent years - recent Forbes comments found in a quick Google search include such things as "Strong labour market, weak economy" (May 2013) and "Brazil's economy is bound to disappoint again this year" (April 2013)).

While tinged with a more than healthy dose of self-pity, Britain was bemoaning its 'impotence' in the world while it was still the world's fourth largest economy (and it is still the world's largest maritime economy); the modern country actually retains a lot of political clout, but that's due to the uncontested preeminence of London as a "global capital", the UK's role in the European Union, the global dominance of its native language, and its political links to the world's most powerful single nation. Brazil has none of those things going for it. However strong its economy grows, it will never be the world's largest by a long shot, and a South American country is very unlikely to ever develop the political clout of the leaders in the north, in Europe or in Asia.

For most other time periods, and from a modern South American perspective, Brazil's achievements would appear impressive, but we live increasingly in a globalised age where second-tier powers - even regionally dominant ones - have little significance in the grand scheme of things.

Which is a perfectly valid reason for not giving it attention - it's not as relevant as the US so simply doesn't warrant that attention. This is much like saying "Pretty much the only reason Lithuania hasn't received as much attention until now is that it's overshadowed by Germany".

Importance within the context of civilisation isn't judged by present-day status, it's judged by long-term influence. Brazil has much more money and covers a far larger area than Sumer ever did, but it would be absurd to consider their contributions to world civilisation equivalent (or indeed the contributions of Brazil vs. the US). Based on the shoddy stereotyping of the Brazilian UA, it seems even the game's developers struggle to think of any credible way of representing Brazil in the context of a Civ game.

While Firaxis obviously needs to pander to fan input to some degree, Brazil simply doesn't fit in a game with Civilization's theme whatever its modern or future achievements. Soundly-hated choices like the Huns are better candidates because they did leave a lasting influence that helped shape the development of civilization. As far as I can tell Brazil's not even especially influential culturally in its own continent - it doesn't share a language with any other South American culture, and the continent's national heroes include such ephemeral figures as Simon Bolivar (whose name is enshrined in one country name and the currency of another), but not eminent Brazilians to anything like the same degree.

I give you: Indonesian kris "swordsmen" with magical daggers.

Whose civ capital is Jakarta.

Are you seriously going to try and argue that the US has had no influence on the development of world culture?

So, your benchmark for Brazil's great achievement is that it is somewhat multicultural, but less so than several other countries (note your use of the word "even")?

This is a country that saw more horrific exploitation of its native peoples in the 19th Century than was found in most other countries at the time (in South America and elsewhere), that was the last European or European-derived nation in the world to abolish slavery (officially - the Brazilian government itself conceded in 2004 that several tens of thousands of Brazilians then lived in conditions "akin to slavery"), and that has an agency which until the 1970s was devoted exclusively to contacting and "civilizing" indigenous tribes. As far as cultural diversity goes, this ranks some way behind Australia, in which a substantial number of voters as late as the 1960s believed Aboriginals deserved no voting rights and which was described recently (in a satirical program, admittedly, but not without justification) as "cheerfully racist".

If you're defining "multicultural" in a sense as loose as "there are people from multiple cultures in Brazil", this is indeed true of Brazil - it was also true of Apartheid-era South Africa. As far as equal representation and respect for cultural diversity is concerned, this is really not an aspect of Brazil that Brazilians would thank you for highlighting.

Thank you. I did not have the time nor willingness to argue in detail and extent like you did, but you said it (for yourself first of course, but also for me).

In my opinion, the discussion about civs and leaders needing to Deserve with a capital D their place in the game is extremely overstated.

Some people are acting like including a civ they dub unworthy is some kind of crime against humanity. Of course, we are on a forum dedicated to the game, so it's a given that we're obsessive about it, but still, some perspective wouldn't hurt.

Making a case for why a civ deserves to be in and showing what's interesting about it is way more interesting and constructive then taking a huge fat dump on a nation's history and culture and dubbing them undeserving because of your personal criteria (and believe me, it's your personal criteria here - there's nothing universal about it; you can see this in the continuous, raging conflicts that pop up around here about "I want this civ / noo! that would be !").

I also think that the developers have a much simpler criteria: "can we do something interesting with this civ?". And if the answer is "yes", they put it in.

I also think that the developers have a much simpler criteria: "can we do something interesting with this civ?". And if the answer is "yes", they put it in.

Which is the only sensible criterion for a strategy game rooted in speculative fiction, IMO.

In my opinion, the discussion about civs and leaders needing to Deserve with a capital D their place in the game is extremely overstated.

Some people are acting like including a civ they dub unworthy is some kind of crime against humanity. Of course, we are on a forum dedicated to the game, so it's a given that we're obsessive about it, but still, some perspective wouldn't hurt.

Making a case for why a civ deserves to be in and showing what's interesting about it is way more interesting and constructive then taking a huge fat dump on a nation's history and culture and dubbing them undeserving because of your personal criteria (and believe me, it's your personal criteria here - there's nothing universal about it; you can see this in the continuous, raging conflicts that pop up around here about "I want this civ / noo! that would be !").

While I agree with this, Civ's appeal over more generic empire simulators is its reference to real cultures and history. I'd agree that a seemingly bad choice can be redeemed by interesting mechanics and trappings (such as good leaderheads, engaging AI personality etc.).

Unfortunately, in the specific case of Brazil the civ appears to fail on both counts. Firstly, while the tourism approach (despite the resource's stupid name and icon) is an interesting approach to cultural victory, one that makes it much more interactive than in the past and one I'm looking forward to, it's a poor choice as the key focus of a UA. The mechanic's role in the early to mid game simply hasn't been thought through from what we've seen; it appears to serve no other purpose than securing a victory condition and affecting ideologies, another late-game feature.

This isn't a design flaw that can be blamed on Brazil, and as a key new mechanic clearly the designers want to emphasise it in a civ's abilities, but as the core focus of a UA it's hard to see how an effect that only works in the late game can make a civ interesting to play; imagine if a diplo-focused civ had abilities that only increased its votes in the UN and gave it no other bonus. This civ does nothing else - even its UU only differs from a generic unit by increasing the rate at which the civ gains a bonus from the UA.

Beyond which, it simply doesn't reflect anything characteristic of Brazil - the civ could have been given half a dozen other names that fit the UA as well or better. A detailed rundown was given elsewhere on the thread as to how each unique is a poor representation for Brazil. As regards the UA, tourism and Great Artists? What Great Artists is Brazil especially known for? I'm certainly not aware that it's known for a larger number of them than most cultures. It's not among the world's top tourist destinations (in South America alone, measured by international arrivals it's less-visited than Argentina, and since the latter is hardly a travel hub this is unlikely to be an artefact of large numbers of people in transit), and in the broader sense of cultural imperialism that BNW 'tourism' mechanically represents, see my comments above - Brazil is not influential enough for this to obviously be a feature that defines this civ rather than many others.

Then we have a truly bizarre mismatch between the UA's name and effect. Most other UAs make some effort to plausibly represent the named attribute of a civ; previously the nadir of Civ UAs conceptually was Sweden's "Nobel Prize". But carnivals = decades-long golden ages is more of a stretch even than that.

I think both need to be taken into consideration. With some civs they've managed to take bad or unexpected civ ideas and make them interesting (e.g. Sweden); other civs have had banal or unpopular abilities but are recognised as deserving their place on grounds of real-world influence (e.g. Germany, Ottomans, India).

Not many are both bad choices and uninteresting designs, because these are exactly the civs that should be dropped - unfortunately Brazil is both, on top of which it also has a suite of abilities that are wholly unrepresentative of Brazil as a nation.

Contrast it with what I feel is the other bad design in BNW - Indonesia. That civ is, I'd argue, worthy of inclusion but badly-implemented. However, even while badly-implemented it is recognisably Indonesian. Indonesia is the world's most characteristic 'archipelago' power. This is not something easily-represented in a game like Civ, which has random maps, but the UA makes an attempt. It was a major source for spices, and the civ both has a UA explicitly referencing this (and note, "Spice Islanders" as a name fits what the UA actually does in a way "Carnival" manifestly does not), and complementary abilities which more subtly encourages trade routes by rewarding the Indonesian player financially (who has resources the trading partner doesn't from his cities) and through other trade benefits (by allowing spread of religion via trade to trigger the UB). I can play this civ and feel that I'm playing the Indonesians. I can't see anything about Brazil that would make me feel I'm playing the Brazilians rather than "random civ inserted to fill the tourism quota".

Artillery is quite different to a rocket powered projectile. So that would be a _no_, not in my opinion. The ICBM is, however, an incremental improvement on the A4.

Your definition of "incremental improvement" seems to bend towards whatever point of view you happen to be supporting.

The A-4/V2 is the world's first ICBM. However, the current ICBMs which actively avoid counter measures with the aid of ditigal computers and sensors is much more than a mere incremental improvement over the WWII Era German V2. The V2 had only primative analog devices to keep it on track to the target. Because it had a predefined trajectory, its launch pad had to be a predetermined distance to the target. The only thing that the V2 has in common with modern ICBMs is its propellant was chemical. The V2 was powered by alcohol. No modern ICBMs are propelled by lower energy alcohol. It is the respective guidance systems that really shows how different they are and variety of different professionals needed to design modern ICBMs simply dwarfs the staff and technology needed to support the V2.

Both artillery and ICBMs use controlled chemical explosions for propolsion. The difference is the length of the propolsion phase and manner in which the explosion was controlled. Indeed, in the first ICBM, the A4/V2, this phase was only 65 seconds. Given your broad definition of an "incremental improvement", I'm surprised that you consider the improvement of WWII Era artillery to the A4/V2 as NOT incremental while at the same time claim that the improvement of the A4/V2 to the Apollo Program is incremental.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you draw the line between revolutionary/incremental improvement based on your personal patriotism and national self interest, despite your claims to the contrary. Of course this is nonsense, since I can't know that about you anymore than you could know the same about me.

My point about nation-states is they are here to stay. We won't live to see the end of them. Perhaps our children will; perhaps not. If we go as a race to another star system, it will be as a group of many nation-states or one big nation state. Nothing of the kind (space travel) will be supported by The United Nations, the only viable world government we have at the moment. It can't even prevent genocide purpetrated by rogue nation-states led by despotes. Yet the despotes prevail while those that can stop the genocide look the way.

When we have a strong central government that stops genocide and all other forms of human rights violations, then perhaps it will also help us as a race of humans reach for the stars. But do not be surprised if big nation-states or a committed group of nation-states does it better due to competition among large nation-states or groups of nation-states

Sun Tzu Wu

I can play this civ and feel that I'm playing the Indonesians. I can't see anything about Brazil that would make me feel I'm playing the Brazilians rather than "random civ inserted to fill the tourism quota".

Brazil didn't really appeal to me, and I didn't know why. I do now. Well done.

Your definition of "incremental improvement" seems to bend towards whatever point of view you happen to be supporting.

The A-4/V2 is the world's first ICBM. However, the current ICBMs which actively avoid counter measures with the aid of ditigal computers and sensors is much more than a mere incremental improvement over the WWII Era German V2. The V2 had only primative analog devices to keep it on track to the target. Because it had a predefined trajectory, its launch pad had to be a predetermined distance to the target. The only thing that the V2 has in common with modern ICBMs is its propellant was chemical. The V2 was powered by alcohol. No modern ICBMs are propelled by lower energy alcohol. It is the respective guidance systems that really shows how different they are and variety of different professionals needed to design modern ICBMs simply dwarfs the staff and technology needed to support the V2.

Both artillery and ICBMs use controlled chemical explosions for propolsion. The difference is the length of the propolsion phase and manner in which the explosion was controlled. Indeed, in the first ICBM, the A4/V2, this phase was only 65 seconds. Given your broad definition of an "incremental improvement", I'm surprised that you consider the improvement of WWII Era artillery to the A4/V2 as NOT incremental while at the same time claim that the improvement of the A4/V2 to the Apollo Program is incremental.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you draw the line between revolutionary/incremental improvement based on your personal patriotism and national self interest, despite your claims to the contrary. Of course this is nonsense, since I can't know that about you anymore than you could know the same about me.

My point about nation-states is they are here to stay. We won't live to see the end of them. Perhaps our children will; perhaps not. If we go as a race to another star system, it will be as a group of many nation-states or one big nation state. Nothing of the kind (space travel) will be supported by The United Nations, the only viable world government we have at the moment. It can't even prevent genocide purpetrated by rogue nation-states led by despotes. Yet the despotes prevail while those that can stop the genocide look the way.

When we have a strong central government that stops genocide and all other forms of human rights violations, then perhaps it will also help us as a race of humans reach for the stars. But do not be surprised if big nation-states or a committed group of nation-states does it better due to competition among large nation-states or groups of nation-states

Sun Tzu Wu

Wall-o-text with unsupported assertions and deliberately misinterpreting what I'm saying FTMFW!

However strong its economy grows, it will never be the world's largest by a long shot, and a South American country is very unlikely to ever develop the political clout of the leaders in the north, in Europe or in Asia.

I guess I'm supposed to accept this because you say so.

Funny, that seems to be the opposite of what I took "globalised" to mean.

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Importance within the context of civilisation isn't judged by present-day status, it's judged by long-term influence.

Except in the case of the US, amirite?

Based on the shoddy stereotyping of the Brazilian UA, it seems even the game's developers struggle to think of any credible way of representing Brazil in the context of a Civ game.

It seems they just needed to showcase the tourism system. Not the best way to do it, I agree, but tell me, do you think the game's developers "struggled to think of any credible way of representing Germany in the context of a Civ game" because they gave Germany a UA that allows them to convert barbarians?

Hmm...

230 years since the Declaration of Independence. It's a blink in the eye of human history.

Even if one considered "contribution to human thought", the United States of America has contributed very little. Freedom? Not an American idea (and not actually practised there in comparison to many other places). Democracy? Nope, other people thought of that first. Capitalism? Adam Smith would be astonished to find out he was American.

Technological advancement? Maybe. And I mean maybe - it's very difficult to examine the long-term impact of things when it's just happened. And most of the significant advancements I can think of came from other places.

The one area I think the US has genuinely excelled, and could be considered having contributed to the world, is Marketing. And Edward Bernays was a naturalised American anyway. Also: thanks for nothing.

Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting that the US shouldn't be a Civ in Civ. I'm suggesting that if people are going to start doing a "what have they ever done" test, the US fails. As do almost every other Civ on the list.

I suggest you read that post. I have no desire to repeat things that have already been stated earlier on the thread.

Yes, exploitation of the native peoples occurred in Brazil, as it did in the US and in Australia, and it was just as wrong there as in the US and Australia. But I wonder how you judge that it was somehow "worse" in Brazil than in either of those countries. That seems to be a qualitative, not a quantitative judgment, and a highly subjective one. I also doubt that many Aborigines, Native Americans, and African Americans would agree with you. Speaking of "abolition of slavery", it's not as if the lives of African Americans were greatly improved after slavery was abolished in the US. :rolleyes:

Sigh. This discussion is getting tiresome. It's also pointless because it seems that everyone has a different definition of civilization. I simply choose the more inclusive one. The more civs to play, the better.

I agree that Brazil's uniques could definitely be improved, but that is an entirely different matter from whether there should be a Brazil in the game at all. Over at the Brazil discussion thread they've posted several more appropriate ideas for UAs and UUs.

Thank you. You said what I was trying to say, but in a more concise and effective manner. :)

I guess I'm supposed to accept this because you say so.

No, it was the conclusion of a somewhat detailed (given the available space of forum posts) rundown on the current state of the global economy. "Seventh greatest economy" is not an accolade that garners attention - not so long ago, Italy was the world's eighth largest economy. Mexico was the twelfth. The UK and France were third and fourth. India is currently third, yet even that gets little attention compared with the US, China and the EU (which as a bloc has the world's largest economy, but is not a single country).

Brazil doubled its economic performance between the 1960s and the 1990s - but has shown no such progress since then. The short-lived biofuels boom may be over. As analysts who look into these things have said:

"There are, however, numerous obstacles to Brazil reaching superpower status. According to Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman, recognising Brazil's current economic strength is “not the same as [saying] it will become the economic superpower [anytime soon].”[19] Similarly, energy analyst Mark Burger writes that Brazil, in general, will improve its energy situation, but not to the point of being an energy superpower.[20]
The much higher rate of crime in the country compared to all the other potential superpowers, stubbornly high levels of income and education inequality, social polarization, and the future of the much less developed northern regions of the country remain concerns.[citation needed]
Furthermore, a country needs to achieve great power status first, before becoming a superpower, and it could be disputed whether Brazil currently qualifies as a great power."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpowers

More positive analyses cited in the same article suggest that Brazil had a head start over India and China due to its longer history of established, developed institutions and of "positive development" - however both countries have surged ahead while Brazil has not, to the point that it's awarded critiques like those I cited earlier from Forbes. Unlike India, Brazil has not established a clear niche for itself in the global economy; I'm not aware that it has anything equivalent to India's high-tech industry as a selling point. It's still reliant mainly on agrarian products such as soybean.

As for the idea of South American states in a leadership role, granted it's absolutist to claim it will "never" happen, but in a timescale relevant to, say, Civ (with its end date in 2050) it plainly won't. The Southern Hemisphere continents are dominated by developing countries, and mostly poor ones. Being the dominant power in South America is plainly not equivalent, by a long way, to being the dominant power in North America or in Asia. Brazil is no more a superpower for being South America's leading power than South Africa is a superpower for being Africa's, or than Australia is a superpower for being Australasia's. Brazil lacks China's economic clout, and it lacks America's linguistic dominance or its strong political relationships with other major powers. America isn't the global superpower because America in isolation has a lot of money, it's the superpower because its alliances allow it to exert huge influence on international relations.

None of this is intended to discredit any of Brazil's accomplishments, and from a vantage point within South America it undoubtedly looks like a major world power, but that relies on a somewhat myopic and oversimplified view of the way global politics works. As I noted above, the EU is currently the world's largest single economy - however despite that it doesn't yet have the political relevance of the United States or, increasingly, of China. Japan has long been one of the world's top economies, but it's tended to pursue a somewhat isolationist policy on the world stage that has given it less political power in its own right than one might expect. Prior to Angela Merkel's tenure, France represented the European Union more than Europe's economic powerhouse Germany.

Even if Brazil were to make the economic headway needed to climb close to the top in the foreseeable future, and it's not at all clear how it could achieve that, it has neither the political connections nor cultural influence to leverage that power.

Funny, that seems to be the opposite of what I took "globalised" to mean.

"Globalisation" refers to the homogenisation of the world as a whole as the cultural influence of one or a small number of cultures becomes dominant - yes, that does appear to be the reverse of your understanding of it. For example:

"Sociologists Martin Albrow and Elizabeth King define globalization as:
...all those processes by which the peoples of the world are incorporated into a single world society."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalisation

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

Granted, I was using an extreme example for effect (plainly Brazil's place relative to the US is far more prominent than Lithuania's relative to Germany), but the principle remains valid - dominant societies receive attention by virtue of the fact they are dominant. Those that tend to be neglected in views of global power politics tend to be the ones that simply aren't major players in those politics.

Except in the case of the US, amirite?

I already covered this, and do so in more detail in response to the bizarre misunderstanding of what constitutes "influence" you quote below.

In short, however, there isn't any feasible way that the US can be dismissed as having had no influence on the development of modern society - its culture and cultural icons permeate much of the world, without its contribution to 20th Century politics governance across large portions of the planet would be very different, and American-led dissemination of technology has led to originally non-American technologies, from cinema and television to the internet and mobile phones becoming global phenomena so pervasive they define the way much of the modern world works, in just the same way as the European inventions of moveable type and breech-loading mechanisms transformed originally Chinese innovations into such globally dominant technologies as the printing press and gunpowder warfare.

It seems they just needed to showcase the tourism system. Not the best way to do it, I agree, but tell me, do you think the game's developers "struggled to think of any credible way of representing Germany in the context of a Civ game" because they gave Germany a UA that allows them to convert barbarians?

This isn't an equivalent situation. Everyone looking at the German UA knows what it represents, and no one disputes that it reflects a real period of German history. The issue arises with trying to determine whether that is the best way to reflect a society with a several-thousand-year history with at least three major incarnations.

The issue with the Brazilian UA is that it doesn't represent Brazil at any period of its history, not just that a bad period was chosen as the primary focus; the name provides a loose link, but is a ridiculous fit for the UA (which was pointed out on the BNW "New Civs" thread as a better UA for a civ like Italy). The UI provides a benefit conceptually linked to something the Brazilians produced for export, and gained no benefit from themselves. It's not at all clear why Brazilian WWII soldiers would be associated with generating a golden age.

I suggest you read that post. I have no desire to repeat things that have already been stated earlier on the thread.

When those things are complete nonsense, I can see why. Influence has nothing to do with "who invented what", it's about how a particular society has affected the development of others and of world civilisation as a whole. I don't think anyone would claim that, because Adam Smith was Scottish, the dominance of modern capitalism (which, incidentally, in the predominantly American form found in most of the world bears little relation to Adam Smith's beliefs) is a triumph of Scottish cultural imperialism. As I noted earlier, the Chinese invented gunpowder weapons - but they did not disseminate them widely. Even Japan obtained firearms first from the Europeans, despite the far greater proximity of China.

Take "Freedom" as that poster mentioned. No, not an American idea, not disseminated originally in the modern world by America (Napoleon and the British Empire take a lot of credit for that), and in most social issues related to suffrage (among them slavery, voting rights for women, most gay rights, and emancipation for blacks) the country is typically a couple of decades - and sometimes further - behind Western Europe.

But consider what the modern world would look like without America heavily pushing the idea of freedom in the mid-20th Century. Without American sponsorship, and in the case of Korea and parts of Central America American military intervention, many smaller nations would have turned to communism during the Cold War. Without American involvement in WWII, the result would probably have been a Soviet occupation of Berlin, maybe with no capitalist West Germany at all and with the remaining Western European powers unable to recover from the war without American financial aid, leaving the Soviet Union as the dominant global power and its influence on the development of later 20th Century political systems correspondingly enhanced. It may even have been that without America Germany would have won the war, since although Germany was on the defensive by the time the Americans entered the European theatre in force, without their economic support and supplies earlier in the war the Allies may never have fought Hitler to a standstill.

Technology? Just look at the internet. It's far from too early to be sure that this has had a world-changing impact - on social interactions, on global exchange, on the way the business world works. The original foundations of the internet may have been developed by a British researcher based in Switzerland, but it was the Americans who turned it into a public-access system and exported it, the Americans are the reason English is the internet's global language, and the internet's master servers are in American hands.

But all of these are somewhat incidental to the thing that really shapes civilisation at the level of the people who comprise it: culture. American cultural achievements have been immense - from the dominance of American musical styles and clothing in the 20th Century to American cinema. television and popular literature, and to the cultural influence of American science and technology such as the space shuttle, the moon landings, the discovery of Pluto, and such scientific theories as the Big Bang. Just as one example, the guitar is now a globally recognised symbol of music generically, and in most cases is depicted as an electric guitar - a 1940s American invention that propelled a previously moderately obscure Spanish folk instrument to superstardom and a world-recognised cultural symbol. Brazil has had no widespread cultural impact to compare to the rock 'n' roll era alone, if you were to ignore every other American cultural development of the last century. It would probably be pushing it to identify a single Brazilian product with the world-recognition of Star Trek or The Simpsons.

Yes, exploitation of the native peoples occurred in Brazil, as it did in the US and in Australia, and it was just as wrong there as in the US and Australia. But I wonder how you judge that it was somehow "worse" in Brazil than in either of those countries. That seems to be a qualitative, not a quantitative judgment, and a highly subjective one.

There's a very practical reason for that judgment: rubber. The methods employed in exploiting indigenous people in the Brazilian rubber boom were of almost unparallelled brutality. Detail is rather unnecessary here - read sources such as this recent potted history:

http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Rivers-Amazon-John-Hemming/dp/0500288208

I also doubt that many Aborigines, Native Americans, and African Americans would agree with you. Speaking of "abolition of slavery", it's not as if the lives of African Americans were greatly improved after slavery was abolished in the US. :rolleyes:

No one's tried claiming that the US' key accomplishment was the development of an equitable multicultural society. You can't claim, as you have, that the key defining feature of Brazil is its multiculturalism and then wave away all evidence that Brazil's multiculturalism is poorly-developed compared with many other modern states.

Sigh. This discussion is getting tiresome. It's also pointless because it seems that everyone has a different definition of civilization. I simply choose the more inclusive one. The more civs to play, the better.

"The more civs to play, the better" works as an argument if we were in danger of running short of civs to include without stretching the definition. This isn't the case by any means. When you still have a large suite to choose from, the question "Why should Brazil be one of those civs?" remains pertinent, and all the moreso when the Brazil included bears no clear relationship to anything particularly Brazilian.

I agree that Brazil's uniques could definitely be improved, but that is an entirely different matter from whether there should be a Brazil in the game at all.

It's far from "entirely different". As already mentioned by another poster, the key decision when you include a civ should be "can we do something interesting with it?" The name of the civ can always be selected later if necessary, if there's a good idea floating around that deserves to be used. Ultimately, many abilities can be reasonably given to any of a large number of potential civilisations.

Well, thanks for clarifying your more absolutist statements from earlier.

Unlike India, Brazil has not established a clear niche for itself in the global economy; I'm not aware that it has anything equivalent to India's high-tech industry as a selling point. It's still reliant mainly on agrarian products such as soybean.

Surprisingly (I know I was surprised), Brazil actually has a decent-sized aerospace industry, among other things.

"Globalisation" refers to the homogenisation of the world as a whole as the cultural influence of one or a small number of cultures becomes dominant - yes, that does appear to be the reverse of your understanding of it. For example:

"Sociologists Martin Albrow and Elizabeth King define globalization as:
...all those processes by which the peoples of the world are incorporated into a single world society."

I really don't know if I agree that globalization necessitates the "homogenisation of the world as a whole as the cultural influence of one or a small number of cultures becomes dominant". And if that is indeed what globalization is, then it doesn't really sound like a very good thing at all.

Granted, I was using an extreme example for effect (plainly Brazil's place relative to the US is far more prominent than Lithuania's relative to Germany), but the principle remains valid - dominant societies receive attention by virtue of the fact they are dominant. Those that tend to be neglected in views of global power politics tend to be the ones that simply aren't major players in those politics.

Maybe it's because I'm from a small country myself, but I am not as eager to subscribe to the "Great powers are the only countries that count and everyone else isn't worth mentioning" viewpoint as you seem to be. Especially not when most of these "great powers" only derive their power from having a large land area or a large population or both, and in fact many smaller countries are far ahead of these "great powers" in terms of GDP per capita, HDI, political freedoms, civil rights, and so on. Subscribing to that viewpoint is the privilege of people who actually live in those great powers, while I suppose those who live in the unimportant countries should just accept their insignificance. I prefer a worldview that highlights and celebrates the achievements of all nations and societies, even the smallest, "weakest", and/or poorest.

In short, however, there isn't any feasible way that the US can be dismissed as having had no influence on the development of modern society - its culture and cultural icons permeate much of the world, without its contribution to 20th Century politics governance across large portions of the planet would be very different, and American-led dissemination of technology has led to originally non-American technologies, from cinema and television to the internet and mobile phones becoming global phenomena so pervasive they define the way much of the modern world works, in just the same way as the European inventions of moveable type and breech-loading mechanisms transformed originally Chinese innovations into such globally dominant technologies as the printing press and gunpowder warfare.

Interestingly, there is an increasingly large number of people predicting that US dominance will not last past the 2020s or 2030s. This would mean that the US, besides having existed for only 250 years by then, will only have had 70 years or so as the world's dominant power. Granted, many of these people are nationalist Chinese trolls on YouTube. I also think they're wrong, and that US dominance will continue well beyond that time.

This isn't an equivalent situation. Everyone looking at the German UA knows what it represents, and no one disputes that it reflects a real period of German history. The issue arises with trying to determine whether that is the best way to reflect a society with a several-thousand-year history with at least three major incarnations.

I am fairly certain that some people have expressed offense at Germany's UA.

Take "Freedom" as that poster mentioned. No, not an American idea, not disseminated originally in the modern world by America (Napoleon and the British Empire take a lot of credit for that), and in most social issues related to suffrage (among them slavery, voting rights for women, most gay rights, and emancipation for blacks) the country is typically a couple of decades - and sometimes further - behind Western Europe.

Yes, thanks for proving his point. Yes, I suppose America's championing the idea of freedom saved the world from communism during the Cold War, even though the US was more than a little hypocritical to do so at the time. I'm not sure I agree with your mention of the US interventions in Latin America, since to my understanding those had less to do with fighting communism and more to do with installing friendly right-wing dictatorships in those countries and protecting the interests of American fruit companies.

No one's tried claiming that the US' key accomplishment was the development of an equitable multicultural society. You can't claim, as you have, that the key defining feature of Brazil is its multiculturalism and then wave away all evidence that Brazil's multiculturalism is poorly-developed compared with many other modern states.

I don't think I claimed that multiculturalism was Brazil's "key defining feature."

"The more civs to play, the better" works as an argument if we were in danger of running short of civs to include without stretching the definition. This isn't the case by any means. When you still have a large suite to choose from, the question "Why should Brazil be one of those civs?" remains pertinent, and all the moreso when the Brazil included bears no clear relationship to anything particularly Brazilian.

It's far from "entirely different". As already mentioned by another poster, the key decision when you include a civ should be "can we do something interesting with it?" The name of the civ can always be selected later if necessary, if there's a good idea floating around that deserves to be used. Ultimately, many abilities can be reasonably given to any of a large number of potential civilisations.

"The more civs to play, the better" works as an argument all the time, since we are paying for this game. More value for our money is always better. Now, if you are saying that other civs should have been included in the game before Brazil, such as maybe Vietnam, the Timurids, etc., then yes, I agree.

And to quote The QC's post earlier, "Making a case for why a civ deserves to be in and showing what's interesting about it is way more interesting and constructive than taking a huge fat dump on a nation's history and culture and dubbing them undeserving because of your personal criteria." And this is the viewpoint that I prefer to subscribe to. :)

Brazil could be included because they are hosting the next Olympics, quite significant in global politics and economy. Its the first time a south American country has hosted it and the second country to host it in the southern hemisphere.
Having watched the display at the end of the London Closing ceremony, where Brazil seemed to portray itself as a country of Music, Dance and Carnivals I can see where the developers are coming from in making them a 'party people'.
It is an accolade, not an insult.

Also:

But consider what the modern world would look like without America heavily pushing the idea of freedom in the mid-20th Century. Without American sponsorship, and in the case of Korea and parts of Central America American military intervention, many smaller nations would have turned to communism during the Cold War.

1) Communism is not the opposite of freedom, the key idea is actually that there can only be true freedom under communism.

2) American sponsorship propped up the majority of the dictatorships during the cold war, the US even supplied the Taliban.

3) Many countries turned to the USSR because the USA was supporting tyrants as their leaders, had the US not got involved we might be currently seeing more freedom in the world (like in north korea).

1) Communism is not the opposite of freedom, the key idea is actually that there can only be true freedom under communism.

Risking the intervention of the mods, I cannot let this pass...

Are you serious? ANYTHING that has the main aim at killing individuality, no matter what the excuse, IS the opposite of freedom.

Or perhaps you really do believe that the thousands of Cubans who prefer to be eaten by sharks than to remain in the paradise-island-prison are just stupid?

As for the topic being discussed here lately, to me it does not qualify as a rant anymore, but I am not a mod... interventions by Bowles and the Rebel, no matter with which one we agree or disagree, have been well beyond what constitutes a rant, and probably deserve their own thread. I would start it, being the one that started the dilemma, but I would not like being closed and sent back to this thread, so I will not do it. It's in the hands of the mods, but I am sure the last posts do not deserve to be qualified as rants...

Yes, thanks for proving his point. Yes, I suppose America's championing the idea of freedom saved the world from communism during the Cold War, even though the US was more than a little hypocritical to do so at the time. I'm not sure I agree with your mention of the US interventions in Latin America, since to my understanding those had less to do with fighting communism and more to do with installing friendly right-wing dictatorships in those countries and protecting the interests of American fruit companies.

Now this, Rebel, is as shallow as it gets. I lived in Southamerica for 37 years, I know their mindset as I know my hand, and grew fed up of that very mindset. I am talking about people that took the streets to celebrate the killing of thousands of innocents during the September 11 events, to give you one example (and in the building of that type of mindset, the likes of Eduardo Galeano have had a huge influence, and believe me, not in the positive direction). What is going on down there is a very complex scenario, that cannot be understood without being there and living there, heck, not even then in most cases. It is not as simple as stating that "every single evil in Latin America is the fault of the imperialistic evil Americans" (which, coincidentally, is one of the most believed axioms down there... without even considering what they have been doing wrong for the last 3 centuries in shaping their own present... I am talking countries where people are dying from Dengue, because many of them do not want to keep their houses clean to prevent the breeding of the carrying mosquito... sure the fault of the nasty Americans).

It's very, very hard to analyze, understand... please do not try and repeat recipes heard or read somewhere else... you really need to be there, and for a long time, to be able to grasp the extent of the self-defeating mentality that dominates South America.

Are you serious? ANYTHING that has the main aim at killing individuality, no matter what the excuse, IS the opposite of freedom.

Or perhaps you really do believe that the thousands of Cubans who prefer to be eaten by sharks than to remain in the paradise-island-prison are just stupid?

As for the topic being discussed here lately, to me it does not qualify as a rant anymore, but I am not a mod... interventions by Bowles and the Rebel, no matter with which one we agree or disagree, have been well beyond what constitutes a rant, and probably deserve their own thread. I would start it, being the one that started the dilemma, but I would not like being closed and sent back to this thread, so I will not do it. It's in the hands of the mods, but I am sure the last posts do not deserve to be qualified as rants...

Communism doesn't have any aim at killing individuality.

Communism doesn't aim at killing individuality.

secondly, two people's freedoms are hardly ever the same. Do you really think peasants and the poor in different areas of the world desire communism because they are sick of their freedom? Capitalism and democracy offers the same chains Communism and Monarchy's do, it just does it with a smile and a lie. (Just ask any farmer about their 'freedoms' when a Monsanto seed mixes into one of their seeds. Real free.....)

As a Brazilian, I have to say that I agree that the influence and the significance of Brazil on the world history is very limited. I would never defend the inclusion of my country as a civ on the vanilla game. But we are now heading towards the fabulous mark of 50 civs, so I dont see why not include "minor powers".

I would love to see more and more ancient civs, like Sumer, Phoenicia, Parthia, Seleucid Empire etc. But my guess is that Firafix want to explore new markets, thats why we are seeing choices like Indonesia and Brazil.

That said, I think people will be very surprise about the rise of Brazil over the next decades. Food, water and energy will be even more important strategically soon and Brazil have those in abundance.

Because of this, on the UN climate conferences Brazil is already a heavy weight. This role will be more evident to north americans when the US midia start giving importance to this conferences. Probably global warming will need to get even more evident, but sometime people will learn, even Tea Party republicans...

Communism is not about killing individually, it is about freeing people from social restraints and giving everyone equal opportunities. Different definitions of freedom.

As a Brazilian, I have to say that I agree that the influence and the significance of Brazil on the world history is very limited. I would never defend the inclusion of my country as a civ on the vanilla game. But we are now heading towards the fabulous mark of 50 civs, so I dont see why not include "minor powers".

I would love to see more and more ancient civs, like Sumer, Phoenicia, Parthia, Seleucid Empire etc. But my guess is that Firafix want to explore new markets, thats why we are seeing choices like Indonesia and Brazil.

That said, I think people will be very surprise about the rise of Brazil over the next decades. Food, water and energy will be even more important strategically soon and Brazil have those in abundance.

Because of this, on the UN climate conferences Brazil is already a heavy weight. This role will be more evident to north americans when the US midia start giving importance to this conferences. Probably global warming will need to get even more evident, but sometime people will learn, even Tea Party republicans...

I think that they are trying to have a civilization to represent every region and time period.

Brazil quite effectively represents the south American nations, whilst at the same time showcasing the new tourism mechanics.
As possibly south American countries go they are the largest and most powerful, whilst also being culturally more important and hosting the next Olympics. They are a good choice.

Top Bottom