Civilization Design

Well, the original point for the viability thread was to rate the suggested civs somehow. It does recap many of the suggested civs very nicely, however. I think I could copy that recap minus the ratings here on the public side and use that as the beginning of a Civilization Design II thread. The ratings are better discussed on smaller group, I think. How does that sound?

Oh by the way here on the public side: What would be a good UU for New Republic and who would be a good hero? I had Bothan assault cruiser and Anakin solo listed, but I think there could be better options.

The Bothan assualt cruiser would be better as a UU for the Bothan race. Anakin would work well as a hero, but he is too, well, young. Maybe something like, I dunno, the Millenium Falcon. Instead of a hero, it could be a special ship. Or it could be "Kyp's Dozen and Two Avengers;" a squadron. I have no idea what a good UU would be. Maybe ground troops?

Hey guys

My first post ever on this site :blush:

First of all nice to hear that the project is up an running again :goodjob:

I had some Ideas to which factions you could play, most of them you have seen before but there are changes.

I'm working out from the formular of which factions in the star wars universe, that actually have been an empire (or similar) in some point of the Star Wars History. Basicly the same approch to making factions, as we know from the Vanilla Games. Also I dont like having to much similaries beween the faction you could choose. ex Galactic Empire and Imperial Remnant. who basicly uses the same stuff. (stardestoyers, stormtroopers etc). Then rather make the options with the leader, as we know in the vanilla game. Washington or Roosevelt, you know the drill.

The list is.
The Galactic Empire

The Rebel Allience/New Republic
(I think these two should be the same - they are very much intregrated in the universe)

The Old Republic

The Sith Empire

The Mandalorians

The Ssi-Ruuk

The Voochung Vong

The Seperatists

The Hapan

The Chiss

The Hutts (CrimeOrganisation)

The Blacksun Syndicate

12 factions in all

I dont say there isn't room for a wookie-faction (love those furballs) or another (i havent thought of), but think these 12 should form the core.

You could think of including (minor) factions "in game", as we see in fall of heaven.

You know spawn a new faction in game :D , possible "The Imperial Remnant, or another minor faction, or possible a breakaway faction".

Would be happy to help fleshing out ideas, "Civic,techtree,units statistics - basicly anything you can think of".

Not superstrong in programming but know a littlebit.

Working on another mod in age of wonders shadowmagic, but allways room for starwars projects :)

Cheers

That is almost exactly who we have chosen. We just took out the ones that are really just a species; Ssi-ruuk, Wookies. We actually put the Ssi-Ruuk and the Yevetha as more of a barbarian civ, non playable, and all. The Chiss, Hutts, and Yuuzhan Vong are really both a species and an organization, so those we kept. And, we agree that the ones such as Imperial Remnant/Empire and Rebels/New Republic are so similar, except in policy, as to be identical. So we put them as leaders too. We're always happy for more people, so come right in. And your idea about a breakaway faction is good, but it would be hard to implement. Maybe a rougue Jedi faction?

thanks for the welcome.

About having the Ssi-ruuk as a barbarian state.

The reason why I mentioned them, as being a playable civ, was that they are similar to the Yuushan Vong, in regards of "coming from unknown regions, and using "strange" technology". Both appears in the universe as invaders and the Ssi-Ruuk do have multiple planets they control, so still think that they've earned a place as playable civ.

Or making both the Yuushan Vong and Ssi-Ruuk - non playable civs/barbarianfaction. An make them spawn in game, similar as they do in the universe. So the player would dread the day when they arrive :shifty:

But thats peanuts.

I'll be glad to help, any idea of where to start?

I'm thinking of structering a very basic techtree, which should only give the basics, but can be expanded to include all the ideas that comes in the proces. Like having special units, buildings etc.

But I'm open

Cheers

When I started reading NJO, the Yuuzhan Vong initially reminded me a lot about Yevetha. Similar brutal attitude, and Nom Anor's confusion tactics reminded me a bit of Nil Spaar.

You are have a point about the Rebel Alliance - New Republic thing. The Galactic Alliance goes to that scale too. I think that while Rebs are hard to separate from NR and NR is hard to separate from GA, Rebs are different enough compared to GA. For Empires, I also think different flavors would be best represented by different leaders.

I suspect that the tech tree will be the most difficult thing to do on the conceptual side of things, because there's no significant tech progression on SW eras we know a lot about. Whole thing has to be made from scratch. So we need any ideas we can get.

I found somewhere that there is a mod, I don't remember where, exactly, in which certain units can require leaders, rather than just the civ. So we can have the Remnant have slightly different units than the Empire, and all of that, even though they are different leaders for the same civ. Would make it much easier, plus allowing more of a difference between leaders, and less civs needed.

Tech tree would be very hard to do, most of it would be very slight progressions, such as from Z-95s to T-65s to T-65As to XJ-wings. One thing about the tech tree:
It was mentioned a couple times in EU books that the first blasters came when body armour was invented that protected against slugthrowers. The first blasters were a lot like the original muskets, haquebusiers. They also needed normally armed men to protect them, but they slowly improved and absoleted normal projectile weapons. So, there would be a first tech, such as rifling, then armour, then beginning blaster, etc.

I kind of agree with valhal about the Ssi-Ruuvi, they'd make an interesting Civ choice and they're important enough in the universe (they're mentioned alongside Palpatine and Thrawn in many books up through and including the NJO).

I hate to see the Yevetha cut as a playable Civ but any representation is better than none:)

Right, some of my opinions about the "little guys."

-Ssi-Ruuk and Yevetha: Yevetha caused more trouble, IMO. However, Ssi-Ruuk are not as humanoid and therefore more interesting. Even considering having either as civs should come after even Yuuzhan Vong are included and the Vong should be pushed back to later releases because they are much work. Being barbarians mighr be enough for them.

-Hapes Consortium: Small timers, but they keep appearing a lot. Not just being mentioned, but getting involved. I guess the authors like a matriarchal society with lots of good looking people. They seem to be a bit like elves in regular fantasy literature.

-The Black Sun: Doesn't make sense as civ IMO, it's a criminal organization. Hutts have a "space" and some history as sort of goverment, but not these guys. Too bad because I think Xizor is one of the coolest EU bad guys. Should try getting them in some other form.

-Corporate Sector Authority: Personally I'd love CSA and it gets mentioned pretty often, but that's all it gets: mentioned. I can't remember anything really happening inside CSA outside those Brian Daley books.

Of those I'd only push for CSA and Ssi-Ruuk to be full Civs. The Ssi-Ruuk won't take as much work as the Vong, though, since they use technology. My opinion though;)

While there's not much in the novels beyond Brian Daley's books, most of the guides have loads of information gleaned from all sources. Best I've seen so far is Bill Slavicsek's Guide to the Star Wars Universe, 3rd Edition. It only goes through Vector Prime and Episode I (I believe), sadly but it's an invaluable resource for older novels. To pick up the slack there are the New Essential Guides to Vehicles and Vessels/Alien Species/Characters/Chronology All but Characters/V&V go through Ep III but none touch the Legacy novels or beyond.

Best source to CSA is probably this sourcebook for 2nd edition rules for the old d6 RPG. RPG was close to the EU in the early days. More than half of the non-movie equipment the Imperials had in Thrawn trilogy came from Imperial Sourcebook, for example.

I have a bunch of sourcebooks, sadly most are the new d20 system but Han and the CSA is one I couldn't find. I can't believe I forgot about it:x

OBJECTION!!!
Mandalore (real name Canderous Ordo)
Mandalore is a title, if you play the games, someone says "We didn't select a new Mandalore after the old one passed away."

Otherwise, Keep up the work XD

oops, wait nvm just read it correctly, My mistake...

Top Bottom