1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization IV Opening Strategy Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by tks2103, Nov 5, 2009.

1. NonPrayinMantis

NonPrayinMantis Warlord

The only time that might be possible early game is if you have a very early settled priest and few settled cities. In that case, you need to settle more cities or capture more, but changing the research rate in that instance is unneeded unless you have a need to upgrade units or something like that. If you have enough gold, you might as well set reasearch to 100%.

NPM

2. champ82

champ82 Immortal Ruler

I like the video and I’m glad people are doing this. I haven’t finished it, in fact I've barely started it, but so far it’s good, it’s got me thinking.

I want to give something attention that I haven’t seen given much attention on the forums and that is the medic II promotion.
    Any AGG melee/gunpowder unit or PRO archer/gunpowder unit can obtain this pretty easily. I love medic II. It’s almost as effective as medic III and doesn’t require a GG. It’s great for when you are sending more than 1 SOD around, which can be often.
    Normally, even with a pro or agg civ, you need a settled GG or vassalage or theocracy to get a medic II unit…unless you have a totem poll.

Speaking of the totem poll - super archers, longbowmen and crossbowmen I think are being under looked. While I haven’t played as the Native Americans in a long time, I think we need to start considering superlongbowmen as something more than just uber-defenders. Taking a stack of these puppies could be amazing, especially if you wait to promote them. First off, with enough drill IIIs, siege will mean nothing to them. Drill II opens up the anti-mounted promotion (great for knights.) Then there’s shock and in some instances guerilla…I think SB could be quite the versatile medieval force if leveraged correctly.

Am I on to something here?

3. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Medic II does nothing more than medic I on the same tile. It merely allows you to heal adjacent tiles at the same rate. Medic III is a substantial boost ---> it gives the bonus healing to both the current and adjacent tiles.

Medic II by itself is rarely worth taking, unless of course you have spare XP and are going to attach a GG later when you get the chance (can easily happen especially with AGG or PRO).

Longbows suck offensively as anything but stack cover, however PRO longbows handle that role pretty well: if you're willing and able to lean mostly on siege, longbows can protect it for quite some time, and combinations of drill IV and guerrilla II longbows are somewhat fearsome (and with feudalism readily available). Having the 2nd promo on the catapult goes a long way too: you lose a lot less against opposing longbows.

4. champ82

champ82 Immortal Ruler

I am shocked by this. I could have sworn Medic II heals stacks faster than Medic I. I was so convinced by this, apparently, that I didn’t even bother to check the civilopedia. Biggest case of civ placebo effect ever…I really need to start going with the facts and stop relying on my gut so much…If in other sciences we should arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics indeed.

5. champ82

champ82 Immortal Ruler

Finished the video – it’s fantastic.