1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I wish we got a second West African Civ (for the coastal area), like Benin, Yoruba, Dahomey, or Ashanti, but it seems unlikely.....:cry:
    The demand isn't high enough. And I think Africa is done after Ethiopia.

Jkchart and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  2. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

I think you’re probably right, unless we get a Final Frontier. I don’t see them giving us two African civs in NF. We’ve already got more than we’ve ever had.

Fortunately, Sukritact’s latest project is an Akan civ (which includes the Ashanti kingdom).

Jkchart, Thenewwwguy and Guandao like this.
  3. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

A question to someone more familiar with native American cultures. Do the Firaxis issue with Pueblo means Anasazi are also out? Are they the same?

4. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

“Anasazi” is a Navajo exonym meaning “ancient enemies.” It does refer to the Pueblo’s ancestors, but they dislike the term. As worthy as they are for inclusion, I think the best we can hope for is a Pueblo city-state or a decent mod.

5. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Anasazi is a Navajo name for the Ancestral Puebloans, and yes, they are the ancestors of the modern Puebloan tribes, culturally if not literally (the Puebloans are a diverse group, after all). Plus they'd have no leaders and no language. Chaco Canyon or Mesa Verde as an Ancestral Puebloan city-state that allowed you to build Cliff Dwellings would probably be the next best thing, like the Cahokia city-state with its Cahokian Mounds.

EDIT: Ninja'd by The Kingmaker.

6. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Yes the two were basically the same. You could make the argument that the Anasazi were the more northern people and Popay--one of the primary points of contention--was from the Rio Grande area, but for our purposes they would have been treated the same because there aren't any other really good Pueblo leaders that I am aware of.

The Kingmaker likes this.
  7. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

The kiva would be a good UI for them.

8. Zaarin

I have no idea who would lead them, but I've wondered if the Hopi or Zuni might be more amenable to inclusion than the Tewa were. Then again, I'd be surprised if Firaxis tried again after being rebuffed by the Tewa.

9. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

Speaking of Berbers, I’d personally like to see Dihya (she’d be the only jewish leader in the game—although that isn’t a proven hypothesis, she could be pagan berber or christian).

I think for the Sw, the Navajo are the best option.

And I think if we don’t see Babylon in NF, there’s a decent chance that there’s at least a plan for a second pack.

10. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Dihya is a good choice. I’m still hoping for Yusuf ibn Tashfin. :)

Jkchart likes this.
  11. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Not so sure about that. If we don't get any Mesopotamian Civ in this pack, then I agree with you.

Tbf the non-inclusion of an alt leader for America is a bit suspicious in my opinion. Lincoln seems like a no brainer.

12. Zaarin

America would honestly be in the bottom half on my list of civs to get an alternate leader, and if it did get an alternate leader I'd be pretty disappointed if it weren't one of our first five presidents. Lincoln in particular I don't really see bringing anything interesting to the table to change the way America plays. What's more striking to me is that Egypt and China haven't gotten alternate leaders.

13. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

the US is boring by design. Every game.

I can understand Egypt not getting one cuz Nubia is to them what Macedon is like Greece, but China, Russia and Rome should arguably have one

14. bbbt

bbbt Deity

The US is also nowhere near the top of my alt leader list, but if does get one, I want them to leave the presidents and go with Benjamin Franklin.

Meluhhan likes this.
  15. Zaarin

Pericles and Gorgo say γεια. :p

Anyone but a president would be weird to me. The entire point of the executive office is (supposed) to be the "face" of the nation, which is also the purpose of civ leaders.

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  16. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Free updates will include new maps. I suspect we're getting map scripts in the free updates, and true start location in the paid updates.

Likely paid TSL:
    - Americas;
    -Middle East (Byzantium and Assyria/Babylon pack?)

Possible free scripts:
    - Great plains.

Codeword Iroquois and Zaarin like this.
  17. bbbt

bbbt Deity

I'm fine with anyone who was a formative political force, even if they didn't ever lead it (I have issues with Gandhi for completely different reasons).

Granted, as much as I love Through the Ages, I wouldn't want Civ to go that direction with leaders such as Aristotle, Shakespeare, and Sid Meier

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  18. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Other Civ iterations have taken that approach, but not VI as far as I'm aware. They're going with actual leaders. Even Kristina was a ruler.

Which means no Prince Henry if we get Portugal, thank God!

Edit: I quoted the wrong bit, it was meant to be the part about Benjamin Franklin.

I hope we get Tecumseh leading the Shawnee, so "formative political force" is fine. I also wanted Bolivar and Gran Colombia.

19. Zaarin

Generally speaking so am I, but in the case of America specifically, where we have someone whose job description is basically "civ leader" and whose power at the same time is very much so not ceremonial... :p Plus we have a good thirty or so presidents to choose from (disregarding that some are very unlikely but taking into account that I can't imagine they'd pick anyone more recent than Truman or maybe Eisenhower); it's not like there's a shortage of options.

CdM and Eleanor of Aquitaine were queens-consort and queens-dowager; Gandhi had no official title or role.

20. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

CdM ruled, and even when she didn't she still wield power. Don't know about Eleanor.

I was referring to the likes of Prince Henry and Joan D'Arc.

Codeword Iroquois likes this.