[NFP] Civilization VI: New Frontier Pass Discussion Thread

If Zombie Apocalypse is the last game mode, what were some game modes you were looking forward to?

Personally, I'm disappointed by the lack of more grounded, historical modes. A Great War mode to make the late game less dull and an actual economic gameplay mode would be my big two ones I would have liked to see.
It leans more on the fantastic side, but I would've liked seeing Firaxis take some inspiration from the Empires of the Smoky Skies scenario and either make another scenario like that for Civ 6, or have a mode which adds some steampunk elements (I can imagine peoples' eyes rolling into the back of their heads after reading that).

Any mode that they add would likely have to work from the Ancient era onward into the Future era, and steampunk sits pretty firmly in a glorified Renaissance + Industrial setting, so a lot of creative liberties would need to be taken to make it a mode.

As for scenarios, I would've been greatly interested in seeing Firaxis try their hand at recreating the mechanics of the Diplomacy board game in Civ 6. That is, players don't have direct control over each civ, but instead they buy stock (or bonds?) of each civ in order to finance them and to also gain ultimate influence over them. Winner would be the player with the most money, or reaches a certain threshold of money, with stocks taken into account.

I'm pretty sure they did colonize more than just Angola and Brazil. It was just less like what England, the Netherlands, and Spain had, and more like colonial cities from which trade and commerce would happen on behalf of the Portuguese crown.

Edit: By colonize, I mean to conquer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afonso_de_Albuquerque

Yes conquered, but focal spots, at the start they wanted only Trade with the help of the force of their Nau´s (yes not melee, they were the battleships of their time), but Albuquerque showed to the King that conquering focal spots would work better, and install feitoria either way :p

And while I would have liked to see Cherokee, or a PNW Tribe, or Florence, or even Ireland, I'm not disappointed by Portugal - it was just the most expected choice, is all. Maritime Trade Civ is exactly my jam, especially if they've found a way to do it interestingly.
That's how I feel. I don't find the choice of Portugal disappointing at all. I do find it disappointing that this will most likely be the last content we get.

Fetoria, replaces dock. Adds +2 :gold: for any improved luxury resource in the city.
Leader ability: May use gold to purchase districts in all cities.
Portugal ability: Trade routes to other continents gain +4 gold and complete in half the time.

Those are my bets.

Fetoria, replaces dock. Adds +2 :gold: for any improved luxury resource in the city.
Portugal ability: Trade routes to other continents gain +4 gold and complete in half the time.

Those are my bets.
You didn't even do the easiest one, the UU as a caravel replacement. :mischief:

After reading about Joao III, I don't really see how this would correlate to what he did in real life.
You didn't even do the easiest one, the UU as a caravel replacement. :mischief:
"A safe gamble is a gamble made by suckers and cowards." -- Me.

I would use it as the Frigate replacement or even unique ;)
We already have two frigate replacements.
Plus the last three games their UU did replace the caravel so that's what I'm expecting. ;)

A good guess is trading bonuses similar to Mali. But instead of gaining gold for every flat desert in the origin city, Portugal's international trade routes gain gold for every coast (water) tile in the origin city.

A reverse of the Phoenician ability with full loyalty for coastal cities on non-home continents would be interesting and actually fun to play.
Now that is a good theory.
A good guess is trading bonuses similar to Mali. But instead of gaining gold for every flat desert in the origin city, Portugal's international trade routes gain gold for every coast (water) tile in the origin city.
So is that, but less so.

Now that is a good theory.
So is that, but less so.
But loyalty can't be part of the gameplay abilities considering Portugal has to be be playable with the vanilla version. :p

Though I could see a Feitoria UI give loyalty only if playing with an expansion.

But loyalty can't be part of the gameplay abilities considering Portugal has to be be playable with the vanilla version. :p

Though I could see a Feitoria UI give loyalty only if playing with an expansion.
My bloody memory... Why is there no facepalm smilie?

The Rock-Hewn Church gets an ability for Gathering Storm, no reason why Portugal couldn't get something similar.

EDIT: My only real complaint about the NFP civs is that none of them get even a little extra bonus for any of the expansion mechanics.

Top Bottom