[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Fun thing about some of these. Bagan and Samarkand already appear in the Path to Nirvana scenario, as do other strong city-state options like Vijaya and Tondo. Same with the Poland scenario including Prague and Vienna.
Well, there were fully modelled Janissaries in the Poland scenario two years before Gathering Storm released. There's an unused Gold resource in the Australia scenario. The list of content just lying there free for implementation in the base game grows on and on and has been since the release.

I like to think of it as extortion. Give us the secrets of Industrialization or we'll burn your primitive huts to the ground.

Imagine what your unit is doing when you get a free Builder.

Aztecs don't need to imagine

the Port Royal game gets the Fluyt right: it's the most profitable trading vessel in the game, but no warship at all.

The Nau wasn't particularly faster than earlier Caravels, but it was big enough to carry enough supplies that half or more of the crew wouldn't be dead of starvation or thirst before they got across the Indian Ocean - it was the ship that made the spice trade to Indonesia, largely by-passing all the 'middle men', possible. A Caravel that can establish Trade Routes (possibly by exchanging the Caravel/Nau for a Trade Route to keep it from being OP) across the Ocean for Portugal might be a good Game Mechanic for it.

This ability sounds quite interesting!

A good ability that could fit the Nau or a carrack would be one that add damage to defensive districts. Just like in EU4, that Portugal could be very good at sniping coast territories. That would very historical accurate and could help Portugal gain terrains on coastal cities.
The main problem is that the Dutch have already this ability with "De Zeven Provinciën" so maybe a nau could have +1 range (fitting very well with a +1 sight leader ability for naval units).
That could represent the ability of the Portuguese to attack coastal land and defend it thanks to the naval batteries but not letting them going into the interiors.

Maybe it would be OP, but having these 2 ships could make Portugal very interesting.

2. Each time you discover a Natural Wonder, gain 1 scouting unit, 1 trader unit and 1 trade route capacity. Each NW discovered give +1 Amenity in each city, and 1 additional Amenity if you own this NW.

I genuinely love this idea. Ties trade route limit to exploration is fantastic, and still within the design limit - there is only a limited number of natural wonders per game so this shouldn't overpower the Portugal too much.

They'd just call it Shanghai most of the time where it wouldn't fit (by length). USA also uses the term "American" such as American Empire where needed.

The problem will be Shanghai is already on the China's city list, as well as the fact that Shanghai and Shanghai International Settlement were actually 2 different cities.

Aztecs don't need to imagine

I always read their ability as a direct representation of forced labor.

What I'd also like to add is the possibility of naval units gaining experience from exploration like recon units and the possibility of maybe the Great Explorers could use a charge to build a feitoria.

I have something like this in my Portugal Mod, I have volta do mar, a promotion that gives more movement (still to implement...) and in a previous version I had Great Explorers building Feitoria, but then I changed NAU to built it instead, for coastal only build and other purposes. Historically, Great explorers where naval masters but in coastal land also instructed the construction of the Feitorias.

I genuinely love this idea. Ties trade route limit to exploration is fantastic, and still within the design limit - there is only a limited number of natural wonders per game so this shouldn't overpower the Portugal too much.

I think he got a good point, the only thing I do not like as much is that I don't think it fits Portugal (From the point of view of Natural wonders).

Maybe it could be a similar thing but with city states, like for being the first to became suzerain and the bonuses apply for each kind of city states (+ 1 merchant, +1 trader etc, when becoming suzerain of a military city state, a scientific, a cultural, a religious, an economic and an industrial. Then a maximum of +6 times).

A good ability that could fit the Nau or a carrack would be one that add damage to defensive districts. Just like in EU4, that Portugal could be very good at sniping coast territories. That would very historical accurate and could help Portugal gain terrains on coastal cities.
The main problem is that the Dutch have already this ability with "De Zeven Provinciën" so maybe a nau could have +1 range (fitting very well with a +1 sight leader ability for naval units).
That could represent the ability of the Portuguese to attack coastal land and defend it thanks to the naval batteries but not letting them going into the interiors.
I would assume that a Nau or Carrack would replace the standard caravel, which is naval melee unit, so it probably wouldn't have range or bombardment strength attacking cities or other naval units at all.
Though caravels can already take coastal cities so that still fits.

I would assume that a Nau or Carrack would replace the standard caravel, which is naval melee unit, so it probably wouldn't have range or bombardment strength attacking cities or other naval units at all.

I was imagining 2 different units, the "portuguese caravel" as a replacement for normal caravel (then able to make them and explora faster with them) and a possible second unit, the Carrack/nau that could replace the frigate having his extra range.

Like somekind of combo, first you discover, then you send the naus to attack and you take the city with the caravels.

But I do not think they will add 2 UU in the same era and category. Could be interesting though.

Historically Nau were ranged units, the best at the time, the way Portugal conquered some city-state was mainly shooting "battleship like" bombing. Caravels instead could enter some rivers and could go where big ships could not go. Later Caravela Redonda's main objective was to defend Nau´s cargo in the open sea.

I was imagining 2 different units, the "portuguese caravel" as a replacement for normal caravel (then able to make them and explora faster with them) and a possible second unit, the Carrack/nau that could replace the frigate having his extra range.

Like somekind of combo, first you discover, then you send the naus to attack and you take the city with the caravels.

But I do not think they will add 2 UU in the same era and category. Could be interesting though.
If they do get a unique Great Admiral, in the form of a Great Explorer, that would be considered another non combat UU. As I mention below another ranged naval unit might be too similar to the De Zeven Provincien.

Historically Nau were ranged units, the best at the time, the way Portugal conquered some city-state was mainly shooting "battleship like" bombing. Caravels instead could enter some rivers and could go where big ships could not go. Later Caravela Redonda's main objective was to defend Nau´s cargo in the open sea.
Yes. Even the Caravels in game have cannons and use them to attack but they still get damage back hence why they are considered melee. I think since we already have two frigate replacements, and the Dutch one already has stronger bombardment when attacking districts, that's one way Portugal could differentiate itself easily no matter what ship is used.

If they do get a unique Great Admiral, in the form of a Great Explorer, that would be considered another non combat UU. As I mention below another ranged naval unit might be too similar to the De Zeven Provincien.

In my Portugal Mod I replace Great Admirals with Great Explorers, Portugal cant recruit Great Admirals, Other Civs don't receive Great Explorers, but can buy them if they want :p

Well, there were fully modelled Janissaries in the Poland scenario two years before Gathering Storm released. There's an unused Gold resource in the Australia scenario. The list of content just lying there free for implementation in the base game grows on and on and has been since the release.

And the black death assets that could be used in a pandemic mode.

Actually, come to think of it, I think the optics of a pandemic mode may have changed over the past few months. Not only is our current situation not a total plague scenario (so sensitivity may be a bit lower), but the devs could use a pandemic mode to reinforce ideas of proper government responses. It could be more of a PSA/learning tool like global warming, instead of possibly coming off as insensitive.

(and then maybe pair it with a complete Italian city-state/civ overhaul please)

I don't see the gold ore being added to a mode unless currency or maybe colonialism comes into play. I feel like for the devs to justify the distinction between gold and gold ore, the gold ore will have to perform more than a superficial luxury function.

I don't see the gold ore being added to a mode unless currency or maybe colonialism comes into play. I feel like for the devs to justify the distinction between gold and gold ore, the gold ore will have to perform more than a superficial luxury function.

I'm really not understanding what on earth anyone can have against including Gold as a resource.

Gold (not even named "Gold Ore" - just "Gold") has been a resource in every single game in this series except Civ 6, coexisting with the yield Gold. Players somehow have always been able to comprehend the distinction; do you think they suddenly can't?

Why does its inclusion suddenly need some grander justification beyond resource variety?

They probably won't re-introduce Venice, but I was thinking about who a possible leader for them would be if ever added in future content besides re-using Enrico Dandolo. I read up a bit on Doges of Venice and Andrea Contarini would seemingly be a good pick- Italian wikipedia states 'The Contarini dogate was one of the most important: if Pietro II Orseolo's dogate was that of the development of Venice and that of Enrico Dandolo that of the passage of the city from a small state to an empire, that of Contarini was the one that saw the city involved in Guerra di Chioggia ( 1378 - 1381 ) and definitively consecrated as the undisputed ruler of the seas for the following centuries.'

I'm really not understanding what on earth anyone can have against including Gold as a resource.

Gold (not even named "Gold Ore" - just "Gold") has been a resource in every single game in this series except Civ 6, coexisting with the yield Gold. Players somehow have always been able to comprehend the distinction; do you think they suddenly can't?

Why does its inclusion suddenly need some grander justification beyond resource variety?

Clearly the change was made for a reason, either to try to pull back on that tradition and better distinguish the currency unit from ores that were really just superficial luxuries; or because they were eventually going to do something with bonus and luxury resources that they didn't want to do with gold ore; or perhaps because they were planning to reintroduce a "revamped" gold ore with some gold ore specific mechanics like those that I suggested above.

I never said I was against gold ore as a resource. But I do acknowledge that next to the other luxuries, gold ore wouldn't really stand out as anything special when Spices/Sugar, Dyes/Tobacco/Incense, Silk/Coffee, Jade/Marble already provide identical bonuses, as do Silver/Diamonds which almost assuredly would share the same bonus with Gold Ore (not to mention the many near similarities between luxuries like Salt/Wine/Furs, Mercury/Turtles/Tea, Olives/Whales/Ivory/Gypsum).

It seems pretty obvious to me that Gold Ore was just incidentally left out and then never added back in because merely as a luxury resource it doesn't add much mechanically to the game that isn't already achieved by Silver/Diamonds. It simply wasn't worth their time, the same way that they didn't think it worth their time to make Prague, Vienna, Pagan, or Samarkand city-states outside of the scenarios. It would probably need more than being another Silver to justify the development cost, because as far as they are concerned, they already put it in the game. If players really insisted on making it a resource, they could use the assets which already exist and write a quick mod to put it in, and that's exactly what they did.

Another thing to consider is that we could feasibly see scenarios reworked into game modes. An outback game mode would include the gold resource for those who really want it, and would just require the inconvenience of playing every game with something resembling a gold rush. ;)

New Civ

Civ: San Marino
Civ Ability: First Constitution (extra Diplomatic policy card in all levels of government, extra envoy at start of each era)
Leader: Saint Marinus
Leader Ability: Religious Asylum (cannot found new cities, however capital city doubles the land area than normal, city distrct and tile working reach is doubled, cities can be captured and captured cities do not incur loyal penalty)
Unique Building: Three Towers (replaces Medieval Walls, increases defense and +300% tourism from all levels of walls)
Unique Unique: Corpi Militari Voluntar (replaces Builder, Builder has the same abilities as a normal Builder but also takes on the combat strength of the strongest melee unit available)

Unique Building: Three Towers (replaces Medieval Walls, increases defense and +300% tourism from all levels of walls)
მომწონს ესე კედელნი რომელნი ესე აღშენებულ არს შენი ხალხისათვის, გაქუს სული ქართველთა. :mischief:

Moderator Action: Even if copied from the wiki, all foreign language posts require an English language translation. Browd
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
მომწონს ესე კედელნი რომელნი ესე აღშენებულ არს შენი ხალხისათვის, გაქუს სული ქართველთა. :mischief:
i didn’t know you knew georgian

i didn’t know you knew georgian
I don't. I copied and pasted Tamar's agenda approval line from the wiki. :p I can read Syriac...with maybe a 5% comprehension rate as long as the text restricts itself to very basic vocabulary (like the Syriac equivalent of Dick and Jane). In other words, I can read the script itself...just not the content. :mischief:

Any idea when we can start expecting some hints about the September release?

Top Bottom