Climate Change Anecdotes

Increasing sea and ocean temperatures scare me the most.

From the attached (freely available) recent paper...
If we extrapolate 2 degrees higher, say to year 2100, from the value 4 near 2005 we find PDI=10.66, that is a factor 10.66/4=2.67 larger. So the PDI roughly triples if there is a 2 C increase in sea temperature.
In terms of windspeed the increase will be proportional to the cube root, thus an increase in windspeed by a factor (2.67)^(1/3)=1.386.
So the maximum wind scale would be increased by 39% while the expected monetary losses, scaling with power expended would nearly triple, increasing by a factor 2.67.

I'll leave it as an exercise for those who like playing with spreadsheet calculations to estimate what the maximum windspeed would be if there was, say a 4C increase in sea temperature instead of 2C by 2100. That's quite likely from recent data I have seen.

Allowances for wind loading in new buildings might be out by a very large amount in the very near future. And by 2100, who knows. But hang onto your hat!

Attachments

• 10.11648.j.ijaos.20210501.11.pdf
    399.8 KB · Views: 2
Evolution may determine self aware overtly intelligent apes was a bad idea.
Evolution can "determine" whatever it likes, but ultimately it's subservient to thermodynamics :)
1st Law - You can't win.
2nd Law - You can't even break even.
3rd Law - You can't get out of the game.
Jude Law - Tu Vuò Fa' L' Americano

I actually like anthropogenic climate change.

Unfortunately I believe it's far too slow to kill me quickly enough. May as well die of natural causes the way things be going. 😢

Greek architecture has a lesson for Australia and it could save you $700 a year
Sweltering cities aren't just uncomfortable. They are dangerous. Extreme heat kills more people in Australia than all other natural disasters combined. The colour of your house can make a difference.

At present, South Australia is the only state or territory acting on the issue. Early this year, housing minister Nick Champion announced dark roofs will be banned from a large new housing development in the north of Adelaide.

Bunny land, now even cooler and richer!

Greek architecture has a lesson for Australia and it could save you $700 a year
Sweltering cities aren't just uncomfortable. They are dangerous. Extreme heat kills more people in Australia than all other natural disasters combined. The colour of your house can make a difference.

At present, South Australia is the only state or territory acting on the issue. Early this year, housing minister Nick Champion announced dark roofs will be banned from a large new housing development in the north of Adelaide.

Bunny land, now even cooler and richer!

Figured people woukd figure it out anyway.

Ents. On the move again...

Almost a third of Australia’s plant species may have to migrate south if we hit 3 degrees of warming

For ecologists, one of the most pressing questions is to understand how ecosystems will change or adapt as the climate changes rapidly. We are already seeing many species of plant and animal moving uphill and towards the poles in response to higher temperatures. It’s very likely most species will move to track their preferred temperature niche.

Top Bottom