Whats Cold Or Hot For You?

Zardnaar

Deity
And how do you cope?

Kinda weather-related. NZ fairly temperate but our housing tends to lack central heating.

Russians, Canadians etc gets very cold but indoors it's 25 degrees. When outside they seem to layer up. We heat a room to 18-21 and cool it to 16-18.

So it is autumn here went outside in the morning and it was 7-8 degrees. This time of year I'm wearing a Tshirt and puffer vest bare arms. It's been going up to around 15.

Below ten I might throw on a sweatshirt and maybe a beanie. That will keep me warm enough down to around freezing

I might throw on a long sleeve jacket if its really cold/wet/damp or a cold wind.

Depending on conditions though I may just wear a tea shirt in the 0-10 range eg if I'm physically active (jogging. Working etc).

When younger (age 19) I've gone running (2km) in below 0 temperatures in the shirts and shorts. Now days not so much. At school it was a 5km bike ride year round winter had shirt, jersey, jacket and shorts for uniform.

We dont heat the bedroom middle of winter 0 or below single glazing. We do use heavy sheets and thick duvets. Moisture on the window can freeze inside.

Basically I don't feel the cold as much as most kiwis. Heat effects me more not a fan of 30+ by comparison. Hottest I have experienced is 39 (temperatures here a taken in the shade). Generally don't have to experience anything below -5.

I'll cover up and/or use sunscreen. You can burn here in ten minutes outside and I have had my ears blister working outside. Also not a fan of rain if outside for prolonged period of time I want to wear leggings and waterproof boots.

Over 100 F is hot
Under 40 F is cold

I live in a low humidity state

Sweet range is 15-25 C. So nice to live in a place with range -25 to +35 C.

Depends on the season. During Winter/ski season too cold is around -15C, especially when there's a wind chill involved. Too hot is around +6C as the snow turns to a mashed potatoes consistency and is really poor skiing. During the Summer/camping season too hot is around +34C as you just can't get comfortable unless your on the water, and there isn't a too cold for camping as a) you can always put more clothes on, and b) my sleeping bags are rated down to -20C. :)

D

Depends on the season. During Winter/ski season too cold is around -15C, especially when there's a wind chill involved. Too hot is around +6C as the snow turns to a mashed potatoes consistency and is really poor skiing. During the Summer/camping season too hot is around +34C as you just can't get comfortable unless your on the water, and there isn't a too cold for camping as a) you can always put more clothes on, and b) my sleeping bags are rated down to -20C. :)

D

That's the good thing about cold you xan always add more stuff.

To hot can't do to much.

I go from:

1) too hot
2) both hot and cold at the same time
3) too cold

in less than a single degree!

I've settled on cold breeze to the face and warm from the neck down as the perfect comfort zone.

'Hot' for me is 80F/27C. It's frequently humid as f around here in the Summer, which of course makes it worse.

'Cold' for me is 25F/-4C. 25 is about when I need to put on a hat and gloves. It's almost never too cold around here for me. We had one cold snap in February that was down around -10F/-23C. That was a bit much. But this morning was about 45F/7C when I left the house, which was awesome. I didn't even bring my coat. I probably won't need it again until October.

Depends on inside or outside ^^.
Outside:
- Warm: 25°C+
- Hot: 30°C+
- Cold: Below 10°C

Inside:
- Warm: 20°C+
- Cold: Below 16°C

Living in the South of France was great. I don't mind 30°C outside in summer (during the day; not at midnight).

I love the metric system as much as the next guy, but using Celsius for ambient temps is LOL.

Cold generally won't bother me until it's below 20F or so, but high winds can make even warmer temps unbearable.

Heat gets bothersome once you're up above the low 80s or so, and anyone who tries to claim desert climates aren't that bad because it's a "dry" heat needs to be sent to a camp.

Canberra is colder than London in winter which is fine with me. I'll wear a jacket or a jumper if it's about 12 degrees or below. A couple of layers once you start to get down into 6 or 8 range. More precautions like thermals and gloves if it's close to or below 0.

I'm a sook about the heat and don't like anything over 30 degrees. Luckily Canberra doesn't get as hot as the coastal cities and it seldom gets past mid 30s here, rarely into the 40s. I experienced 47 a couple of times in Sydney. Absolute nightmare.

I love the metric system as much as the next guy, but using Celsius for ambient temps is LOL.

Why? There are lots of people who grew up with the metric system and are comfortable with it. I was 9 when we started learning it in school in the early '70s. It was a relief when things like temperature finally started making sense.

My comfort zone ends around 25C outside, and a few degrees below that inside. I actually hate summer, and never want to experience another one like 2021. Environment Canada and various health authorities kept telling people to check on the elderly and disabled, as we're among those most at risk during heat waves, never mind the heat dome.

So did the manager here even bother with a quick phone call or email to see if I was still alive or possibly dealing with heat-related issues?

Nope. The Amazon guy showing up with the fan when he did is what made all the difference between dealing with it and ending up in the hospital from heat stroke (I woke up with symptoms of heat exhaustion that morning). The temperature was over 40C and we don't have air conditioning here.

I was constantly worried about Maddy, as she's elderly and susceptible to many of the health issues that the human elderly are. And then there was the issue of trying to find somewhere safe to keep my insulin (once you start on a pen, you don't put it back in the fridge; it's supposed to be kept at room temperature... but room temperature isn't the insane temperatures I was dealing with).

I'm from the South, so I'm more tolerant of high temps than many, but I'm also 'hot-blooded' and so dislike it more. Lower than 45 F / 7.22 C is cold, higher than 85 F / 26.67 C is hot. When the women I work with are comfortable, I have a fan pointed at my desk. It was different when I had CKD and anemia, though -- I wore a sweater at work even in the summer.

Depends.

During day I can handle most heat especially if there is shade.

To sleep above 75f is unpleasant.

Cold is much more annoying. Above 50f w no wind is fine. Freezing temperatures very unpleasant. Fine once in awhile just to appreciate when you're not experiencing them.

Florida winters are the best cause you get just a lil bit of cold to remind you to appreciate normal Florida weather.

San Diego (southern California) weather super boring, 70f all the time and no humidity.

I love it when the outside temperature is 30F (-1C) and am ok up to 72F (22C). Anything outside that range is too much for me. I live in an area where it gets humid during the summer but is dry during the winter.

I'm in the 5-25 C range. Anything else is too much.

Hot: 90F/32C or higher (dry) or 85F/29C (humid)
Cold: Below 40F/4C (sunny) or 50F/10C (cloudy/windy)

Too hot/cold to do anything beyond the bare minimum outside (I think apparent temperature works better than actual temperature for this)
Hot: Heat index above 100F/38C
Cold: Wind chill below 10F/-12C

For cold I just wear more layers, and a hat/gloves/scarf if it gets too cold. For heat I avoid exercise, but may still sit outside for a bit if it's kind of hot, especially if I come from an overly-air conditioned building.

Top Bottom