Colonization Annnounced

Colonization is one of my all-time favorites. I still play the Windows 95 version on the PC I am using now and look forward to playing this new upcoming release.

It would be great if an upgrade of Master of Magic were their next project.

If you are craving Master of Magic experience play Age of Wonders: Shadow Magik. It is pretty much spiritual succesor to MoM.

Russia colonised Alaska....it was nothing on the scale of colonisation on the East coast, and I suspect they only managed to 'colonise' so much because there wasn't any serious competition in the sphere. It could be an interesting aspect - but one that would also have to factor in that to get materials to/from Alaska, they had to travel across the expanse of Asia - much of which had only recently been colonised itself, and that for each winter Russia had no effective docks.

The Courland reference relates to Tobago in the Windies. Sweden had a colony that was swallowed up by the Dutch, which later was swallowed up by England. Personally I think Sweden, Courland and Denmark are to some extent represented by Holland.

I could be wrong, but at game start of colonisation I don't think Belgium actually existed.

As far as I'm aware the Ottomans didn't colonise in the New World. I guess their inclusion would be a what if? scenario....but the you could argue the case for China, plus a hoste of other European micro states such as Genoa and Venice which were associated with the seas.

Personally, I think the only really genuine alternative to England, France, Spain and Holland would be the inclusion of Portugal....but whether you could give them a niche to differentiate them from the others (England - high immigration, France - good integration with the Indians, Dutch - traders, Spanish - military and missionary) is another matter

I think the Russians made some forts on the West Coast.

Yeah, and at 1600 (when Pirates! begins), the Netherlands didn't exist.

Hey, was Colonization originally inspired by Pirates!?

The renewed absence of Portugal is a bit disappointing, specially for us Brazilian players. Perhaps playing as the Spanish could somewhat compensate for this, if not for the fact that their military bonus doesn't fit Portugal at all.

@ Warpus - I haven't seen any MSRP yet, it may very well get priced around the cost of an expansion pack. $20-30 bucks would be acceptable I imagine, $40-60 pehaps outlandish. Though if they are trying to maximize profits it will probably hit the streets towards the higher end, since a number of people will pay the premium to get it right away.

Come on guys, you haven't even seen the feature list.

What you're doing is making an assumption, and then basing a conclusion off your own assumption. If your assumption turns out to be wrong, then that would make you look pretty silly. ;)

Wodan

Is colonization a expanision pack or a new civ4-looking game

It's a seperate game using the Civ Engine. Presumably, including "Civilization" in the title is a bit of a marketing ploy, in the sense that it is probably expected it will appeal to Civ players.

The original version had a number of different mechanics to Civ, but ultimately both games are on the same lines.

Yeah, and at 1600 (when Pirates! begins), the Netherlands didn't exist.

The war of independence against Spain lasted from 1568 to 1648. You're not off by much, but de facto independence had been achieved by then.

Sometimes you could train and bring "experts" from the Old World, but some types of "experts" (like tobacco farmers) had to be trained initially by the natives....Pulling a citizen out of a city as a separate unit, then moving him to the village, and then moving him back, was an annoying micromanagement issue. But the concept of "asking" for an improved citizen was pretty neat. Trying to implement this by treating the native tribes as an AI Civ, and allowing them to build a "special missionary" and send it to whomever they want, isn't the same kind of game play.

When I first looked at it, my impression is that the bar is how much longer it is going to take to train the Expert Silver Miner. This could make sense if each village has different specialties and some take longer to train than others. I don't think they'll just be sending you units.

If they don't include Portugal as a playable nation again, I'm going to be seriously pissed off. It's a COLONIZATION game for crying out loud!

I agree!
On the original Colonization, I never understood WHY Portugal didn't appear in the game. What they think what is BRAZIL?

-----

Poland? Russia? Ottomans?
I'm sorry but what are they on the process of colonization over the Americas?
Russia and Alaska (I see) but when they did that?

I agree!
On the original Colonization, I never understood WHY Portugal didn't appear in the game. What they think what is BRAZIL?

-----

Poland? Russia? Ottomans?
I'm sorry but what are they on the process of colonization over the Americas?
Russia and Alaska (I see) but when they did that?

Ottomans were for flavour, Russia colonized Alaska and we did colonize the Americas, well 1 island in the americas anyway.... :p

Besides i think Colonization isn't just going to be about the Americas, but about Africa and Oceania as well.

Seriously? Which one? I'm curious.

Tobago. But then we lost it to the dutch.

We did have several colonies in Africa though.

But i think the fact that we were even able to get a colony considering our location and circumstances is amazing.

Ottomans were for flavour, Russia colonized Alaska and we did colonize the Americas, well 1 island in the americas anyway.... :p

Besides i think Colonization isn't just going to be about the Americas, but about Africa and Oceania as well.

The original focussed on the New World - I'm not sure I can see that being changed to be honest, because it would increase the number of concepts to consider.

Having said that one thing the original only hinted at was the slavery aspect (it included the concept of indentured servants and penal colonists, but not the slave triangle (Guns to African tribes for slaves -> Slaves to the New World -> New World Produce to Europe), and to include slavery would imply Africa would need to be represented in some form or another.

...but then, I would suspect that the thought of the game being in part a slave trade simulation will perhaps be a little too unsavory for the designers and that as such it will be omitted in this version too. It's simply too much of an emotive subject to take the risk to include it

I agree. As historically accurate as it might be to include slaves from Africa, I don't see an international gaming release that would include actually trafficing in human beings. Not just from the fall out you would get in America and Africa, but the rest of the world as well. Sumggling of human beings still goes on today, and it just seems like asking for trouble to make that part of the game. They allowed "Slaver" units in Civ II, but they were available to everyone and the slaver looked more like a fanciscian monk than any realistic depiction of someone who would have taken slaves from Africa to America. Even though slavery is a form of civic in CivIV, its your own people you're cracking the whip on, which people in general seem to be more tollerant of. it's making slaves out of the folks next door that gets people irrate.

i LOVED Colonization. It was the first game that I would sacrifice sleep to play. Absolutely addiciting and that addicition continues today with pretty much any of Sid Meier's games. I don't usually buy games when they first come out, chosing to make due with what I have until the price drops, but to pick up a modern version of an old childhood favorite, I'd probably even pre-order this one.

FreeCol 0.7.4 has been released. This is bug fix release and last version before 0.8.0. Some of the bugs that were fixed:

- Mistyping in transfer dialog prevents saving or ending turn
- Buttons stop working
- AI gets stuck in infinite loop
- Indian settlements can be visited multiple times

Bug fixes in 7.4
New features in 7.4

Freecol - SF

FreeCol 0.8.0 is scheduled for release on Friday, July 11th. Main goal of this release is to make game more moddable but also adds new nations, sounds and music. Planned features:

- Allow the game to be customized using XML-files.
- Support different sets of graphics.
- A file format for packaging changes to graphics and rules.
- Units now slide between tiles while moving.
- Sound effects for dragoons, artillery capturing a colony, building
complete, church and blacksmith.
- New sound effects for artillery and buying/selling goods.
- Short music clips for Aztecs, English and fountain of Youth
- Named regions and nicer placement of native settlements.
- New nations added: Portuguese, Swedish, Danish and Russian
- Games with up to eight European players are now supported.

Feature requests implemented for this version
Bugs fixed for this version

Edit: Those interested can also check new art and animations being made for future releases in graphics mailing list. There is also been some work on nationally distinctive colony architecture and distinctive indian tribe settlements and other artwork. New contributions are always welcome (wether its code, graphics, sound or music) *hint* *hint* ;).

In case you have not noticed there is now some information about the Colonization in the Firaxis web site: http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_detail.php?gameid=21#

One thing seemed quite interesting to me: "Trade resources, gold and land ...". It seems to indicate that it would be possible to buy or sell pieces of land. I think that has never been possible before.

Well, it was possible in original Colonization.

If you settled just near native villages, tiles around them would be taken by natives and you would be able to buy them, so your town could use them.

Top Bottom