Communitu_79

If I wanted to get a "some main continents, but a lot of smaller islands" kind of vibe, is there a set of settings I can use that does that?
You have to increase land max scattering and also set your oceans wider. Iirc, ocean rift width is currently expressed as a percentage of the map size. Both variables are found at the beginning of the script. Also, leave circumnavigation on.

You have to increase land max scattering and also set your oceans wider.
You mean choosing "Extremely Stringy" right?

Can you explain (sorry if already asked before) the difference between the 2 "players start" option:
Continents - everywhere
Terra - Largest continent
I don't understand the meaning of each option, even after trying multiple times each option. ^^
Thanks!

You mean choosing "Extremely Stringy" right?

Can you explain (sorry if already asked before) the difference between the 2 "players start" option:
Continents - everywhere
Terra - Largest continent
I don't understand the meaning of each option, even after trying multiple times each option. ^^
Thanks!
No, I meant going yourself to the file and modify the values, but that option could do too.
Terra means that all civs go to the bigger continent in the map, and the map gets 30% bigger to prevent civs not spawning.

Question!

What do the ocean rifts (and rift width) do?

What does the land scatter feature do?

What do the ocean rifts (and rift width) do?
Ocean rifts: Atlantic is wide on the poles thin on the equator. Pacific is thin on the poles and wide on the equator. Rift width is the minimum number of ocean tiles in the rift, meaning you can traverse it with a trirreme or not. One tile width you can easily traverse, two tiles with some aid from promotions, three tiles no way.

What does the land scatter feature do?
It increases randomness in the base sinusoidal map. You see, the height map is made of several sin waves overlapping in a very patterned way, so you need to randomly swap those heights so they don't look so patterned. More randomness means less blocky shapes. There is another scatter feature just for the shapes of the coast, but this is not included as an option.

It increases randomness in the base sinusoidal map. You see, the height map is made of several sin waves overlapping in a very patterned way, so you need to randomly swap those heights so they don't look so patterned. More randomness means less blocky shapes. There is another scatter feature just for the shapes of the coast, but this is not included as an option.
The option actually changes all 3 scatter values (landMinScatter, landMaxScatter, coastScatter).

Hi bois, I would like to ask which are the default settings for the map, I've read some pages and could not find the list.

Amazing map by the way!

Continents (default) - Terra
Circumnavigation on (default) - off
Pacific and Atlantic (default) - I'm tending towards 2 random oceans, though.
Normal everything else.

Thanks!, what about Assign starting plots? On or Off?

Thanks!, what about Assign starting plots? On or Off?
Always on! There are still functions exclusive to the map.

Btw, since the map now requires full VP, should we move the thread back to the VP subforums?

I tried the map script a couple of times now and i don't want to sound nit-picky but there some "patterns" to how the script generates the map that just make my life harder for no reason.
  1. Luxury monopoly is sometimes impossible to obtain by the time it matters thanks to half of the luxuries spawning across the map on the other side of the continent/sea opposite to my starting location making it impracticable to settle a spot so far from the rest of my cities .... This happened a couple of times to be honest and in my very last game it happened to an AI whose luxury (incense) had 3 copies less than ten tiles away from my OC capital but more than 15 to 20 tiles away from their capital separated by a large sea that it's over turn 200 and they have not got their monopoly yet.
  2. Forming the "main Landmass" is just seems to be intentionally programmed to separate all of the civs on mini continents connected together by long thin bridges making both exploration and invasion completely impractical.
  3. The amount of strategics ... I just don't know if it's random and my luck is not working well or it's supposed to be like this but why does every civ get no more than 4 horses; not horse tiles ... 4 horses scattered across the land that it actually messes too much with the game balance and making some civs that rely on their UU for conquest really bad comparable to other map scripts even with strategic balance on.
  4. Not sure if this is a part of the script or not but city state placement seems to designed to deny as much settling space as possible and deny passage to crucial parts of the map unless conquered؛ one thing i appreciated about the OG communitas and continents+ is the CS placement being on islands reachable by embarkation or on the poles of the map not literally in the middle of the continent or on the bridges between the continents.

Luxury monopoly is sometimes impossible to obtain by the time it matters thanks to half of the luxuries spawning across the map on the other side of the continent/sea opposite to my starting location making it impracticable to settle a spot so far from the rest of my cities .... This happened a couple of times to be honest and in my very last game it happened to an AI whose luxury (incense) had 3 copies less than ten tiles away from my OC capital but more than 15 to 20 tiles away from their capital separated by a large sea that it's over turn 200 and they have not got their monopoly yet.
Unintended. I didn't touch luxuries. Don't know why this happens, but will look.

Forming the "main Landmass" is just seems to be intentionally programmed to separate all of the civs on mini continents connected together by long thin bridges making both exploration and invasion completely impractical.
You can modify the settings and play on more blocky continents. You can try playing with and without oceans, lower and higher sea level. With or without the circumnavigation chanel. There's enough options to find something you might like.

The amount of strategics ... I just don't know if it's random and my luck is not working well or it's supposed to be like this but why does every civ get no more than 4 horses; not horse tiles ... 4 horses scattered across the land that it actually messes too much with the game balance and making some civs that rely on their UU for conquest really bad comparable to other map scripts even with strategic balance on.
Are you using the override AssignPlots? I modified the distribution so there's more empty space and also reduced overall strategics as a way to force trade or conquest, but your numbers seems too low.

Not sure if this is a part of the script or not but city state placement seems to designed to deny as much settling space as possible and deny passage to crucial parts of the map unless conquered؛ one thing i appreciated about the OG communitas and continents+ is the CS placement being on islands reachable by embarkation or on the poles of the map not literally in the middle of the continent or on the bridges between the continents.
Didn't touch CS spawn points (only the part where it forced to be near natural wonders). It must be a consequence of the new continental shapes. In my games I didn't find this to be an issue.

Please, consider that anything that can be reached by early embarkation is not an isolation problem (you get to know your neighbours, you can trade with them, you can exert religious pressure now too). If you see that in your map, rush sailing, use amphibious promotions and be the guy who uses the terrain to his advantage.

It must be a consequence of the new continental shapes.
It is. City States spawn only at sub-optimal city spots, and that includes all plots with large amounts of water nearby (because water tiles suck - just barely better than flat tundra and flat snow in fertility). More reason to conquer that CS though :devil:

Are you using the override AssignPlots?
Both are the same now, regarding resource distribution (other than fish).

Luxuries are not changed at all. It's just because of the land shapes, and I'm sure it happens in maps like Small Continents too.

I've been having a strange issue on the latest hotfix of CBP where strategics and ruins seem to not spawn at all world-wide. I turned on strategic balance, same issue. Switched to Continents Plus and strategics are there, so it's at least not solely a patch issue. Any ideas?

I've been having a strange issue on the latest hotfix of CBP where strategics and ruins seem to not spawn at all world-wide. I turned on strategic balance, same issue. Switched to Continents Plus and strategics are there, so it's at least not solely a patch issue. Any ideas?
You need to use the map script that comes within VP. Remove the file you downloaded here an use the file that is inside CBP.

You need to use the map script that comes within VP. Remove the file you downloaded here an use the file that is inside CBP.
Ah, but I didn't download anything other than CBP. It's Communitu_79a v2.0.0, is that the right one?

Ah, but I didn't download anything other than CBP. It's Communitu_79a v2.0.0, is that the right one?
Yes. That's weird. What you say can happen if the script breaks at resource placement, but you should not see even normal resources.

What settings did you use? Could you try creating another game? My settings are: Settling in Continents, 2 random oceans, Circumnavigation on, and override resources on (though it doesn't change anything in this last iteration).

Top Bottom