Communitu_79a mapscript VP version

You get more coastal tiles playing with no rifts. There will usually be continents separated by shallow water only.

City states spawning next to ice seems like a bug to me:

Screenshot.png

Changing function CanPlaceCityStateAt() fixes most of the problem, but it still happens sometimes because AssignCityStatesToRegionsOrToUninhabited() doesn't call CanPlaceCityStateAt(), so that function should be changed too.
You can see my code that fixes this here:
https://github.com/samjooma/Community-Patch-DLL/tree/City-state-ice-spawn

I'm not against this change, but note that this may increase the chance that some CS can't be placed on the map at all, especially in smaller maps with high player count.

I'm confused, all of these says the latest version is 2.3, but I have had a 2.4 version for a long while now.

There's no reason to update this thread since the map is bundled with the VP installer. And @tu_79 is missing.

I just now found the Communitu map today, as I was searching for a replacement for Communitas (buggy/crashes) and PerfectWorld (good, but hard to navigate both land and sea) maps. I tried VP again today (tried years ago, but it wasn't for me) but I almost immediately hated it, as I quite often utilize hovering my mouse to get info about a tile, and that doesn't work in VP (about a 3 second delay EVERY time).

So, does Communitu_79 not work properly without VP? It seems to work ok, except it's not spawning any ruins to discover. I started up four different games and played out 30 turns or so and never came across a single ruin. Or is it incompatible with any mods? I'm using Community Patch, Historical Religions, Promotions - Ancient Ruins Choice, R.E.D. Modpack, Resource - Granary Includes Bison, Resource - MInt includes Copper, Units - Starting Scout, and ten added civilizations/leaders.

I just now found the Communitu map today, as I was searching for a replacement for Communitas (buggy/crashes) and PerfectWorld (good, but hard to navigate both land and sea) maps. I tried VP again today (tried years ago, but it wasn't for me) but I almost immediately hated it, as I quite often utilize hovering my mouse to get info about a tile, and that doesn't work in VP (about a 3 second delay EVERY time).

So, does Communitu_79 not work properly without VP? It seems to work ok, except it's not spawning any ruins to discover. I started up four different games and played out 30 turns or so and never came across a single ruin. Or is it incompatible with any mods? I'm using Community Patch, Historical Religions, Promotions - Ancient Ruins Choice, R.E.D. Modpack, Resource - Granary Includes Bison, Resource - MInt includes Copper, Units - Starting Scout, and ten added civilizations/leaders.
The tooltip delay can be adjusted in the game options, maybe it was set to high by accident?

You don't have ancient ruins turned off, right? (in advanced setup before you start a new game)

@natyrone724,

The latest version of Communitu_79a mapscript is bundled with VP. VP has come along way and with the Communita mapscript I find it works really well, especially for regional environment start bias for civilizations.

One must have mod in my opinion for setting up advanced options for every new game is Really Advanced Setup which will remember your choices in the configuration screen for the next time you start a new game. It hasn't been updated for a number of years, latest version is 1.5 and still compatible without issues as far as I am aware.

The tooltip delay can be adjusted in the game options, maybe it was set to high by accident?

You don't have ancient ruins turned off, right? (in advanced setup before you start a new game)
Thanks for the response. Where in the game options is the tooltip delay? I'm not seeing it anywhere. I never had any trouble with it until VP.

No, I checked to make sure nothing had been changed, and "no ancient ruins" is still unchecked, as always.

@natyrone724,

The latest version of Communitu_79a mapscript is bundled with VP. VP has come along way and with the Communita mapscript I find it works really well, especially for regional environment start bias for civilizations.

One must have mod in my opinion for setting up advanced options for every new game is Really Advanced Setup which will remember your choices in the configuration screen for the next time you start a new game. It hasn't been updated for a number of years, latest version is 1.5 and still compatible without issues as far as I am aware.
Thanks for replying. Yeah, I saw that the Communitu map was included with VP, and was really excited to try it...but obviously I didn't have a great first experience. :) I've been tinkering with creating my own DLC pack so I don't have to load mods every time (and I can more easily play multiplayer with mods, and I can hopefully complete achievements again...), and it's good to go except neither the Communitas or PerfectWorld3 load with it. One of the beautiful things about the Communitu_79 map is that it can load automatically without having to be a mod, so if I can get it to work, that would great! But a Civ game with no ancient ruins is a sad game indeed.

I tried Really Advanced Setup in the past, and after trying a few different settings, I ended up reverting to only using settings included in vanilla. Are there particular settings you feel most people would definitely want to be using? The game already remembers my settings without that mod, so no issues there.

I tried Really Advanced Setup in the past, and after trying a few different settings, I ended up reverting to only using settings included in vanilla. Are there particular settings you feel most people would definitely want to be using? The game already remembers my settings without that mod, so no issues there.
The main reason why I use RAS is the much more streamlined UI layout. Once you get used to the layout it is much faster when you want to edit a couple of settings here and there.

It also allows for further edits of the map generator, such as disabling specific wonders (Looking at you, Fountain of Youth) altering frequency of strategic/bonus resources (Individually, if you want as well) Also the disabling of certain civilizations if you would prefer to have a smaller pool of civs to be drawn from (Such as Culture specific civs only) whilst maintaining that 'randomized' start feel to that game.

In regards to map generation it provides options for much further refinement to get a more specific map style generated (Long, narrow islands for example)

I use it predominately for arrangement of options for map generation and easier management of civilization count (Or at times, manual civ leader allocation for playtesting specific strategies, etc)

The one drawback to it I believe is the lack of multiplayer support, though not sure if it is still a factor as I don't play multiplayer.

The main reason why I use RAS is the much more streamlined UI layout. Once you get used to the layout it is much faster when you want to edit a couple of settings here and there.

It also allows for further edits of the map generator, such as disabling specific wonders (Looking at you, Fountain of Youth) altering frequency of strategic/bonus resources (Individually, if you want as well) Also the disabling of certain civilizations if you would prefer to have a smaller pool of civs to be drawn from (Such as Culture specific civs only) whilst maintaining that 'randomized' start feel to that game.

In regards to map generation it provides options for much further refinement to get a more specific map style generated (Long, narrow islands for example)

I use it predominately for arrangement of options for map generation and easier management of civilization count (Or at times, manual civ leader allocation for playtesting specific strategies, etc)

The one drawback to it I believe is the lack of multiplayer support, though not sure if it is still a factor as I don't play multiplayer.
Awesome, thanks! I'll add it into my mix of mods.

With RAS - I don't see how to disable specific wonders. I see that where you can guarantee they are in the game, and even have multiple copies in one game, but the only place I saw where you could leave some out, you would have to individually select all the exact ones you wanted in your game and the rest would be disabled.

As for the frequency of resources...same kind of issue, I'm only seeing an option to select the exact number of horses (for example) that will appear on the map, not just to add a certain number of percentage more. I have no idea how many horses should be on the entire map, and it would change drastically depending on the size of the map.

I might try it to help with map generation and see if I can get the general worlds I'm looking for since none of the mapscripts seem to be working for me. I can't possibly be the only one that ancient ruins are broken in Communitu_79...but if so, why?

I can't possibly be the only one that ancient ruins are broken in Communitu_79...but if so, why?
I've had the ancient ruins not spawning error before, and iirc it was because of multiple sources overwriting AssignStartingPlots.lua in conflicting ways. One possible way to fix that is to try turning the 'Override AssignStartingPlots.lua' option in the advanced game setup ON and OFF and testing whether you spawn ruins (can be done faster by revealing the map using the In-game editor).

I'm not entirely sure, but from my testing it feels like this sort of conflict is sometimes caused by outdated mods.
You could try enabling/disabling certain mods and testing with that as well.

And lastly, speaking of outdated, you've probably already checked this, but just leaving it out here for the sake of completeness: make sure you have the latest Community_79 map v2.4 that comes bundled with VP. (I've had some ruin issues with the 2.3 versions too, but none with 2.4 so far)

With RAS - I don't see how to disable specific wonders. I see that where you can guarantee they are in the game, and even have multiple copies in one game, but the only place I saw where you could leave some out, you would have to individually select all the exact ones you wanted in your game and the rest would be disabled.

As for the frequency of resources...same kind of issue, I'm only seeing an option to select the exact number of horses (for example) that will appear on the map, not just to add a certain number of percentage more. I have no idea how many horses should be on the entire map, and it would change drastically depending on the size of the map.

I might try it to help with map generation and see if I can get the general worlds I'm looking for since none of the mapscripts seem to be working for me. I can't possibly be the only one that ancient ruins are broken in Communitu_79...but if so, why?
Sorry Natyrone, I've been quite ill with a chest infection that last week, so explanation was probably not the best for details. For disabling wonders, etc you are correct in one has to manually enable quantity wanted of all and leaving out the ones you do not want to appear, as it will/should pull from that list that is created. I haven't tested it in a while though, so it is by memory which has been like a siv that last week due to running a fever of 39+ degrees.

After coming back to re-read and follow up to make sure I did give correct info, I have to apologize again for vague details...

If you want to not have a specific Natural Wonder being generated, you need to do two things within RAS:

- You have to check the box Disable ALL other Natural Wonders, this will prevent generation of Natural Wonders from other sources than RAS.
- You have to manually add all wonders and quantity (If you want more than one) you want to have in the map generation via the Wonders tab in the Map Bonus pane, this will create a list for RAS to use for wonder distribution.

Again, really sorry for vague details, have been quite ill the last week. Last Monday I couldn't even hold a conversation due to running a high temp...

You'll be able to disable certain Natural Wonders by setting their OccurrenceFrequency to 0 in the next VP version.

I've had the ancient ruins not spawning error before, and iirc it was because of multiple sources overwriting AssignStartingPlots.lua in conflicting ways. One possible way to fix that is to try turning the 'Override AssignStartingPlots.lua' option in the advanced game setup ON and OFF and testing whether you spawn ruins (can be done faster by revealing the map using the In-game editor).

I'm not entirely sure, but from my testing it feels like this sort of conflict is sometimes caused by outdated mods.
You could try enabling/disabling certain mods and testing with that as well.

And lastly, speaking of outdated, you've probably already checked this, but just leaving it out here for the sake of completeness: make sure you have the latest Community_79 map v2.4 that comes bundled with VP. (I've had some ruin issues with the 2.3 versions too, but none with 2.4 so far)
Thanks. Not sure exactly what the problem was, as none of the Communitu maps worked for me, with or without mods, but I gave up on it and am returning to PerfectWorld3...it's the best (functional) map generator I've found.

The map requires full VP to work.
It doesn't matter for me. I even deleted every Civ 5 file I had on my computer, uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and then only installed Vox Populi, and I still have the same issue.

Top Bottom