Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

MS Security Essentials.

Havnt had a single issue since I started using this.

Should one worry about dust on a computer case as long as its clear around any vents.

Only in that its an indicator of how much dust is getting into the computer. Dust will eventually grind your fans to a halt which will lead to over-heating problems. Best to pull the panel off and use a can of air to blow out the dust bunnies if your case is that dusty as well. Do it every so often when you have to wipe your case off for dust.

Yes I usually do it every second week or so and every few months take the whole thing apart to do a better job and it keeps it clear. But I noticed there was quite a bit of dust settling around.

What are the indicators that a video card is about to fail? I've been having a lot of lockups and graphics failures that I hope aren't a more serious problem then just the video card.

Right now it looks like this.

Is your GPU compatible with your PSU??

Has anyone found a decient tool for drawing 3 dimsional graphs, ie. when you want to display a 3D surface rather than a 2D line? I could also say I have 2 independent variables and 1 dependent variable and want to display their relationship.

Perhaps 3DS Max or 3DS Studio will suffice for that. I don't really know which does what, if there's differences between them or if one is simply a jumbled name, but I've heard about them in reference to 3D modelling a lot.

Zelig said:
MS Security Essentials.
Haven't had a single issue since I started using this.

I also used this for a time, but now it reports two spyware programs and I ran Malwarebytes to remove them as MSE froze up halfway through the process when I tried to use it to remove said programs. Now it still reports them there, and Malwarebytes doesn't. :think:

Anywho, I wouldn't trust MSE for too much longer because I know Microsoft software... even if it's not poorly made, it is el primo target for virus writers and hackers. Which is why I refuse to test the waters with IE 9 or 10 or whichever the newest one is now, although it is reportedly safe.

Should one worry about dust on a computer case as long as its clear around any vents.

Dust is a inhalation health hazard, since it's mostly sloughed skin cells, which is toxic. Just keep the room clean, Aimee!

Perhaps 3DS Max or 3DS Studio will suffice for that. I don't really know which does what, if there's differences between them or if one is simply a jumbled name, but I've heard about them in reference to 3D modelling a lot.

Thanks. I had not thought of using a scene graph type solution, I was thinking about something more like excel but with a 3D picture. I should be able to output my data in vrml or x3d, and then view it in something like this, or a free copy like blender.

Yesterday I was downloading a large amount of files (It was a bunch of PDFs for a newspaper archive.) My mom complained that her silly little online games were a bit slow. We're on the same router. Can one computer on a router affect the others. And if so is there a way to reduce this other than slowing down the downloads (which were already capped as is).

Yesterday I was downloading a large amount of files (It was a bunch of PDFs for a newspaper archive.) My mom complained that her silly little online games were a bit slow. We're on the same router. Can one computer on a router affect the others. And if so is there a way to reduce this other than slowing down the downloads (which were already capped as is).

It's all about the bandwith of the internet connection that the router has. If your computer puts a huge workload on the internet connection (e.g. downloading massive gigabytes) it'll probably delay the other computers ability to receive packets, so it'll create the impression of lag. To simulate, try playing a demanding online game like a first person shooter. Then try playing it while simultaneously downloading very large files (say 8 gigs each) from mutiple sources. The bandwith will be split between the multiple activities, so all of them will update very slowly (or time-out and therefore terminate). So yeah, you could.

That is called "bandwidth competition".

One solution would be some kind of bandwidth management, to eliminate any computer taking too much internet bandwidth. Basically called "Quality of Service" (QoS) which is a feature you should look for in a router. Maybe there is a setting, or firmware hack to improve your router model's QoS?

Well I saw something about QoS on the router settings though I've never actually touched it. But I don't want to cut myself off when I'm downloading these files.

I read about a way to get minecraft to run faster by entering this text into the command prompt javaw -Xmx2048m -Xms1024m -jar "C:\Users\Cameron\Documents\My Games\Minecraft\Minecraft.exe"
Is there a way to have my computer automatically do this instead of me having to type all that in every time I want to play minecraft?
PS: I have 4 gigabytes of ram on my computer, if I wanted to let minecraft use 3 gigs, what would I need to do?
PS: could I use this same process for dwarf fortress and blender? If so, how? I'm assuming that because they aren't java programs I can't just change the target from c:\...minecraft.exe to c:\...\blender.exe, but rather I would have to do something else in addition
Thanks for all the help

Could you create a batch file and make the shortcuts point to the batch rather than the exe?

So someone compressed their C Drive and now every time the computer boots it comes up with the message "BOOTMGR IS COMPRESSED. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART". They're using Windows Vista and have lost their Vista DVD. What is the best way to solve this problem?

So someone compressed their C Drive and now every time the computer boots it comes up with the message "BOOTMGR IS COMPRESSED. PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART". They're using Windows Vista and have lost their Vista DVD. What is the best way to solve this problem?

This happened to me before because I was a doofus... Just boot from the disc (there's a downloadable repair one, look it up) and click "Repair Computer." If that doesnt work I think theres a way to decompress the partition from the disc though I dont quite remember.

EDIT: Here you go for the recovery disc. http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Would a foldable card table be strong enough to support a laptop?

Top Bottom