1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

The Model M is overrated, modern mechanical key switches are better than the buckling springs the model M used.

The Das Keyboard is good, depending on the price.

Cherry Brown refers to the type of mechanical key switch, Cherry makes a bunch of different ones, and labels them by colour (brown, blue, black, red, white, etc.) So the Das Keyboard has the same keys as the Kinesis, the Blackwidow Stealth, among others.

Depends on the switch, some mechanical switches require a lot of pressure. Cherry brows require the least pressure among pure mechanical switches, and Topre hybrid capacitive switches are similar.

2. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Perhaps if you type the standard way and not like I do.

3. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Are there any active online forums dedicated to sci-fi worldbuilding, where I could ask questions about creating plausible worlds and systems, and get answers in a timely manner, as well as share the worlds I've created?

4. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I seem to recall one could trace an IP of a user on a website via WHOIS, am I remembering correctly and if so how do I do it.

5. aimeeandbeatles

You can get a general idea of the location here http://www.geobytes.com/iplocator.htm?getlocation

Question: My modem is somehow blocking incoming ports and that breaks some of my programs. I cant find how to access modem settings. How do i fix this. Port forwarding is set up correctly but i cant get it to open.

6. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I'm sorry, I mean find the person's IP address

7. Atticus

Atticus Chieftain Retired Moderator

I have sql problem.

This works:
    select max(aaa)+1 from Bbbb;
    This works:
    Insert into Bbbb (aaa,eee) values (4,0);
    But this doesn't:
    Insert into Bbbb (aaameee) values (select max(aaa)+1 from Bbbb, 0);

Can somebopdy tell where the problem is?

EDIT: I got it working! it's
    insert into Bbbb (aaa, eee) values ((select max(aaa) from Bbbb)+1, 0);

Though I don't understand what's the crucial difference between these two expressions. That's what bugs me with sql, it seems like you always have to be guessing how to write it correctly. At least for a beginner.

8. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

I should have asked this question YEARS ago. :rolleyes:

Is it a bad idea to use the same username across multiple forums/sites? If so, why?

9. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

I'd say using the same password is worse. I suppose it makes it easier for potential hackers to gain access to more of your accounts, and thus more of your information.

10. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

It really depends on how much you care that people from one place know who you are at other places. Except when places are spinoffs from one another or related in some way, it's very very rare that active people in one place are active in another.

But, then, Cutlass is a much more common name than PlutonianEmpire. I can't register under the name Cutlass at places like Twitter or Youtube because it's already taken.

11. Samson

Samson Chieftain

http://www.ipchecking.com/ does this if you want to do it one by one by hand. Do you want to do it automaticly at the web server? That will need a bit of code I expect.

12. aimeeandbeatles

Yes, if only because of cyberstalkers. :(

13. Quintillus

Quintillus Civ III Forum Resident Supporter

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the last sentence (can't get modem settings to open?) but what I do to open modem settings is:

1. Go to the command line, and type "ipconfig /all".
    2. See what your Default Gateway is. Mine is 192.168.0.1.
    3. Go to your web browser and type in your default gateway in the address bar (ex. 192.168.0.1 in the address bar).
    4. You have your modem settings page.

I have DSL, and my ISP might make a difference, too. But, something like that should provide access to modem settings.

14. aimeeandbeatles

I put in the gateway and came up with the router.

15. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

So I have an old smart phone (Sony xperia x10) running Android 2.3 It's able to do tethering and act as a wifi hotspot for the phone's mobile data. I'm curious if there's also a way to use it to connect a computer to my home's wifi network. To use it as a USB wifi antenna or something.

16. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

EasyTether (Free & Paid) allows you to physically tether your device to a computer via USB and use the phone as a modem. The free app does not allow https:, the paid app does.

PDANet (Paid, 30 day free trial) allows this as well. There are a lot of programs in the market/playstore that allow this, search for 'tethering'. If you have a rooted phone, there are more options available to you.

17. emzie

Er, I'm under the impression that uses the phone's data connection and I plan on removing the SIM card leaving it a wifi-only device. I'll check it out though.

18. J-man

J-man Chieftain

Can your mobile phone company easily see if your using your phone as a modem, because in my 'users agreemnet' it say tethering is not allowed. (A very stupid rule btw).

19. Turner

Turner Chieftain Retired Moderator

I don't know, I've never tried a wired connection to a wifi. Might work. It depends on if those two will try to use the 3g or 4g connection. But if I were to use the market on the phone and it's attached to a wifi network, it uses that connection and doesn't turn on the 3g/4g antenna to connect.
    Don't know. I know that some custom rom sites include a wifi tethering, and that doesn't incur an extra charge with the carrier. They say they don't get charged the tethering fee....

20. emzie

That's a pretty good point, the phone does revert to wifi automatically for browsing and the market. Might have to dig out my old computer and try this.