Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Here's one thing though. I use Virtual CloneDrive. Some of my games with crappy DRM force me to disable it even though I have the legit disc in the drive and don't have any ISOs mounted. It's rather frustrating.

It was a comment on the previous.

Don't be rude.

Here's one thing though. I use Virtual CloneDrive. Some of my games with crappy DRM force me to disable it even though I have the legit disc in the drive and don't have any ISOs mounted. It's rather frustrating.
That is annoying. If I bought software that required other software to be removed because of its DRM, I'd likely take it back as defective.

(Yet, anyone actually pirating will get a version that works just fine...)

I'm trying to install Ubuntu from USB to a PC that is primarily someone else's, but includes an old HD of mine (with win2k on it). When starting up, the computer complains that NTLDR is missing.

Googling has revealed that this is related to the booting of Windows, and I found some advice to fix it, but they all look very laborous considering I don't want to keep the win, but install Ubuntu instead. I have set USB to be the first device on the boot sequence, and tried different USB ports too. I wonder, if there is a short cut, or do I have to try and fix the Windows first.

Also, I wonder if there's some way to check if the machinery is otherwise working ok. Just trying out different parts?

Your computer can't find the files that it needs to boot windows. Somehow the windows boot files have been damage, usually Ubuntu leaves them undamaged (I've installed Ubuntu on windows machines several times). Also, you machine somehow doesn't 'know' Ubuntu has been installed. Rather strange and there could be several things that causes. IMO the easiest solution is to install Ubuntu on the drive that now holds windows, that means you have to reformat that drive and loose all your windows files, so make a back up.

NTLDR, if I recall correctly, is something to do with the boot-loader. If you can find a recovery disc to fix the Win 2K boot-loader try that.

Also, you machine somehow doesn't 'know' Ubuntu has been installed. Rather strange and there could be several things that causes. IMO the easiest solution is to install Ubuntu on the drive that now holds windows, that means you have to reformat that drive and loose all your windows files, so make a back up.

No, I haven't installed it yet. The problem is that when I'm trying to install from USB, it complains about this thing. I have the correct boot sequence, so then I probably should/could deduce that the USB ports don't work. (IT's not that far fetched possibility, since it's old enough to have them burnt when someone removes USB stick without notice).

Another question: Is Firefox's RAM eating problem Windows related. I don't remember encountering them when using Linux.

And yet other, perhaps worth a thread: I understand that there really are some viruses for Linux, albeit most of them do not roam in the net. Is it an actual possibility to catch one of them? Should a Linux user do something as a precaution?

And yet other, perhaps worth a thread: I understand that there really are some viruses for Linux, albeit most of them do not roam in the net. Is it an actual possibility to catch one of them? Should a Linux user do something as a precaution?

That term "in the wild" is what you look for

I did a quick google no really recent results I got 2001, 2005, etc

If you want to laugh sometime look up viruses in Wine. :) once found a very funny satrical article about what happened

One question: What the heck, google, stupid blue things? Managed to adblock it but anyone else get them?

Spoiler :

Oh wow! Thanks. :)

These Ubuntu guys have really made Linux easier to step into to ordinary noobs like me. Usually when I have tried to get hang on something, it's so arcanely written I don't understand a thing. :)

No, I haven't installed it yet. The problem is that when I'm trying to install from USB, it complains about this thing. I have the correct boot sequence, so then I probably should/could deduce that the USB ports don't work. (IT's not that far fetched possibility, since it's old enough to have them burnt when someone removes USB stick without notice).

What probably is happening is that your pc looking for the boot sector on you USB hard drive, since nothing has been installed there it isn't finding it and therefore complaining about NTLDR. I don't think anything is wrong with your USB ports since they don't 'burn' when you remove usb sticks without safely remove hardware.

Btw, if the windows is Vista or & it's really easily to resize the window partition (make it smaller) and create a Linux partition on the same hard drive. Than you have a dual boot system.

I have a question about Gimp (or any program that can help): I want to make an edit to this picture:
Spoiler :
What I want to do is extend the part over the head so that I can add, for example, a hat. My problem is that I don't know how to make the extended part above the head match the background that's already there. I recall that in Gimp, there was an option to add a background like the one there, but I can't find it. Does such an option exist, or was I just imagining it?

So, yeah. Imageshack. :(

Any alternatives, with UNLIMITED image storage?

I don't mind registering, but I outright refuse to send money.

The maximum non-animated file size you can upload is 10MB. However, if the image is over 1MB then it will automatically be compressed or resized to 1MB, for better viewing on the net.
:mad:

Got anything that won't resize my images?

imageshack resizes your images too you know.

For PNGs, grab a copy of PNGGauntlet (sp?). It'll squish down your pics quite a bit without making a mess of them (I think once it dropped my color-depth but the pic was B&W anyways). It can be slow on occasion but it may make the difference of a few kbs

Or grab a domain & some webhosting and host your images yourself. Just be careful as some webhosts might not like that for image-storing only. Put up a basic website if youre worried.

My friend is looking for a firewall. This is because her router malfunctioned and she decided to get a wireless modem from her ISP instead of trying to fix or replace it. She has an older computer with Windows XP and rather little hard drive space. Shes on a budget so keep that in mind -- no $150 security packages. I don't know quite enough about firewalls to suggest anything (I use a router & Windows Firewall). What would you people suggest?

Top Bottom