Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Were you previously using on-board graphics? At start-up it might not be looking for a video card in the PCI-e slot and is still using the on-board graphics by default. This has to be changed manually in the BIOS and CMOS if I'm not mistaken.

If the BIOS change doesn't work, you might ask /r/techsupport because I'm at a loss

You're supposed to install the amd drivers before you install the card... :shifty:

You're supposed to install the amd drivers before you install the card... :shifty:

That's not what the printed directions say. :dunno:

Were you previously using on-board graphics? At start-up it might not be looking for a video card in the PCI-e slot and is still using the on-board graphics by default. This has to be changed manually in the BIOS and CMOS if I'm not mistaken.

I was using a card before. But it does have on board graphics.

If the BIOS change doesn't work, you might ask /r/techsupport because I'm at a loss

It may come to that. But we've got some people here who are pretty good.

Oh, make sure you remove all your OLD video card drivers from your system.

I assume your PSU is up to par for the new video card?

Seems to be.

Oh, make sure you remove all your OLD video card drivers from your system.

This is winblows 8. Their new desktop format so completely hides all of the controls that I have no way of even figuring out where I might have to look for any of those things.

I don't understand precisely what you mean by "seems to be." Are you unsure? Because it's pretty important... most pre-built desktops come with the bare-minimum PSU to run your system, and adding a new, powerful videocard can excede the existing PSU's ability.

Seems to be.

This is winblows 8. Their new desktop format so completely hides all of the controls that I have no way of even figuring out where I might have to look for any of those things.

Since you're red team, you should be able to simply open up AMD's Catalyst and mess around with your drivers from there.

I don't understand precisely what you mean by "seems to be." Are you unsure? Because it's pretty important... most pre-built desktops come with the bare-minimum PSU to run your system, and adding a new, powerful videocard can excede the existing PSU's ability.

I don't buy prebuilt desktops....

Since you're red team, you should be able to simply open up AMD's Catalyst and mess around with your drivers from there.

I haven't got the slightest clue what you mean by this. red team?

OK, after a couple of reboots the pc started to see the new card. Nothing changed except a reboot. So makes no sense to me. But I could load the new drivers and now it seems to be working. :dunno:

You don't buy prebuilts but don't know red/green team?

AMD - red

Nvidia - green

I get mine constructed in my FLCS, but I didn't know the colour scheme either (though I guessed from the context).

It was the drivers then..? :banana:

I've got a new gpu sitting on my kitchen floor since a few weeks back. I probably should get around to install it too. ..and win 10. Although why mess with well working pc :undecide:

The kitchen floor seems like an odd place to store a GPU. True, it probably isn't carpeted, but I'd be paranoid about spilling something liquid on it. What model is it?

Odd about Cutlass's GPU. I once had a GPU stop working because its power connection got too loose, and fixing that made it work again. So I could see fiddling around with connections fixing it. Rebooting seems an odd fix, but does have a knack for mysteriously fixing things. Fixed my DisplayPort output on a laptop a month or so ago :dunno:.

I ended up buying an amd radeon 380. It's safer where it is, but I'll get to it sometime.

That's a pretty nice card. You should install that sucker.

Top Bottom