Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Have you added a VPN lately or some other type of security software?

No,
I have a free Avira firewall but I've been using that for ages.
Disabling it didn't make any difference.
To make things complicated my access to the internet is via Wifi on our LAN.
My mother's computer is the one connected to the router.

Something must have changed? A new router, new computer for mom? :hmm:

Problems like this stink because they are hard to figure out what is causing the problem.

Can you hard wire with a LAN cable directly to the router to test if it is the WiFi or something else?

Something must have changed? A new router, new computer for mom? :hmm:

No, although it regularly causes problems of 1 kind or another, usually for her. Not a good buy.
Problems like this stink because they are hard to figure out what is causing the problem.

Very much so :lol:
Can you hard wire with a LAN cable directly to the router to test if it is the WiFi or something else?

Not really (opposite end of the house and different floor), but I could install Steam on her PC and if it works its the Wifi probably, if it doesn't it could be the router.

*Irish accent* ‘Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and then on again?’
Spoiler if the problem persists :
OK, are you sure that it's plugged in?

I have managed to set up my work computer without anything on the desktop, and alt-tab can switch between windows, but does not bring up the window chooser display. I also cannot access the launcher to open applications. How do I fix it?

I am a bit embarrassed asking here, but I am more embarrassed asking at work as it has been like this for over a year. However I have only accessed it remotely over that year and I have not even noticed. I am back in the office today and it is a bit irritating. I can do everything I need to by right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Open terminal", and starting things from the command line. However there is other stuff I cannot access, and no alt-tab is irritating. Any ideas how to fix this? I could ask IT here, but as I say I am embarrassed because it has been like it so long.

Spoiler Computer details :
Code:
$ screenfetch
                          ./+o+-       user@desktop
                  yyyyy- -yyyyyy+      OS: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
               ://+//////-yyyyyyo      Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.0-158-generic
           .++ .:/++++++/-.+sss/`      Uptime: 53m
         .:++o:  /++++++++/:--:/-      Packages: 1743
        o:+o+:++.`..```.-/oo+++++/     Shell: bash 4.4.20
       .:+o:+o/.          `+sssoo+/    Resolution: 4720x1440
  .++/+:+oo+o:`             /sssooo.   DE: GNOME
 /+++//+:`oo+o               /::--:.   WM: GNOME Shell
 \+/+o+++`o++o               ++////.   WM Theme: Adwaita
  .++.o+++oo+:`             /dddhhh.   GTK Theme: Ambiance [GTK2/3]
       .+.o+oo:.          `oddhhhh+    Icon Theme: ubuntu-mono-dark
        \+.++o+o``-````.:ohdhhhhh+     Font: Ubuntu 11
         `:o+++ `ohhhhhhhhyo++os:      CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 12x 4.6GHz [27.8°C]
           .o:`.syhhhhhhh/.oo++o`      GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
               /osyyyyyyo++ooo+++/     RAM: 3618MiB / 31876MiB
                   ````` +oo+++o\:  
                          `oo++.

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help with the last question...

I have a question on Macs. Is it possible to install two versions of Google Chrome on a Mac, say 93 and the current version 96? If so, how?

I have managed to set up my work computer without anything on the desktop, and alt-tab can switch between windows, but does not bring up the window chooser display. I also cannot access the launcher to open applications. How do I fix it?

I am a bit embarrassed asking here, but I am more embarrassed asking at work as it has been like this for over a year. However I have only accessed it remotely over that year and I have not even noticed. I am back in the office today and it is a bit irritating. I can do everything I need to by right clicking on the desktop and selecting "Open terminal", and starting things from the command line. However there is other stuff I cannot access, and no alt-tab is irritating. Any ideas how to fix this? I could ask IT here, but as I say I am embarrassed because it has been like it so long.

Spoiler Computer details :
Code:
$ screenfetch
                          ./+o+-       user@desktop
                  yyyyy- -yyyyyy+      OS: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
               ://+//////-yyyyyyo      Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.0-158-generic
           .++ .:/++++++/-.+sss/`      Uptime: 53m
         .:++o:  /++++++++/:--:/-      Packages: 1743
        o:+o+:++.`..```.-/oo+++++/     Shell: bash 4.4.20
       .:+o:+o/.          `+sssoo+/    Resolution: 4720x1440
  .++/+:+oo+o:`             /sssooo.   DE: GNOME
 /+++//+:`oo+o               /::--:.   WM: GNOME Shell
 \+/+o+++`o++o               ++////.   WM Theme: Adwaita
  .++.o+++oo+:`             /dddhhh.   GTK Theme: Ambiance [GTK2/3]
       .+.o+oo:.          `oddhhhh+    Icon Theme: ubuntu-mono-dark
        \+.++o+o``-````.:ohdhhhhh+     Font: Ubuntu 11
         `:o+++ `ohhhhhhhhyo++os:      CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 @ 12x 4.6GHz [27.8°C]
           .o:`.syhhhhhhh/.oo++o`      GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
               /osyyyyyyo++ooo+++/     RAM: 3618MiB / 31876MiB
                   ````` +oo+++o\: 
                          `oo++.

For reference, I have solved this problem and it was me being stupid. I had a lead plugged into a second port of the graphics card going nowhere, and the OS thought it was the primary display. I unplugged that and the computer is fixed.

Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to install this mod on my game Total War: medieval 2? I already downloaded the game (parts 1 and 2) as well as patch 3.2. I have the game on steam.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to install this mod on my game Total War: medieval 2? I already downloaded the game (parts 1 and 2) as well as patch 3.2. I have the game on steam.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

Oof....non-workshop mods and Steam, that's always a huge mess.

First off, where is your Steam installation? It's not in Program Files or Program Files(x86), I hope. Because if it is, there's approx.90% chance that it won't work.

Oof....non-workshop mods and Steam, that's always a huge mess.

First off, where is your Steam installation? It's not in Program Files or Program Files(x86), I hope. Because if it is, there's approx.90% chance that it won't work.

yeah, that's where it is. Can I try anyway just to see what would happen? What should I do?

Okay. This is going to be a mess. But let's try it anyway.

First, locate where your game's directory is. It should be in (steam installation folder)\steamapps\common. Then, run the first part of the installation. Look at the default path it shows and change the whole part before "Medieval II Total War" to the (steam installation folder)\steamapps\common. So for example, if it points to C:\Games\Medieval II Total War\ , and your Steam is in C:\Program Files\Steam, you change it to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\ .

Now the first tricky part is that there might be something behind that, either it'll be \mods or \mods\Third_Age or something like that. That part has to stay intact.

Install it this way, it might say that the directory doesn't exist, create? Press yes. Repeat for second part and patch.

Now the last tricky part. It should create a shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it, choose properties. Tell me to which file it points, and we'll continue from there.

Okay. This is going to be a mess. But let's try it anyway.

First, locate where your game's directory is. It should be in (steam installation folder)\steamapps\common. Then, run the first part of the installation. Look at the default path it shows and change the whole part before "Medieval II Total War" to the (steam installation folder)\steamapps\common. So for example, if it points to C:\Games\Medieval II Total War\ , and your Steam is in C:\Program Files\Steam, you change it to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\ .

Now the first tricky part is that there might be something behind that, either it'll be \mods or \mods\Third_Age or something like that. That part has to stay intact.

Install it this way, it might say that the directory doesn't exist, create? Press yes. Repeat for second part and patch.

Now the last tricky part. It should create a shortcut on your desktop. Right click on it, choose properties. Tell me to which file it points, and we'll continue from there.

target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\mods\Third_Age_3\Third Age.bat"

start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\mods\Third_Age_3"

to be clear, it currently gives an error code even when I run as administrator. "Windows cannot find 'kingdoms.exe' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

That is to be expected. The reason is difference between disc and Steam version.

You need to open the Third Age.bat file using Notepad or Notepad++ (if you have it) and change the target from kingdoms.exe to medieval2.exe. Everything else in it must remain the same.

That is to be expected. The reason is difference between disc and Steam version.

You need to open the Third Age.bat file using Notepad or Notepad++ (if you have it) and change the target from kingdoms.exe to medieval2.exe. Everything else in it must remain the same.

how do I do that in notepad?

how do I do that in notepad?

Lucky for you. I found a TATW installation among my backups (because as you noticed, installing it is a pain), so this modified .bat should work. Extract it into your Third Age directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\mods\Third_Age_3), replacing the original .bat file. Then it should work.

Assuming that one thing that happens most of the time did not happen in your case, that is Windows protection system silently removing some files because it considers changes in Program Files a risk.

Attachments

• Third Age.zip
    218 bytes · Views: 35
Lucky for you. I found a TATW installation among my backups (because as you noticed, installing it is a pain), so this modified .bat should work. Extract it into your Third Age directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\mods\Third_Age_3), replacing the original .bat file. Then it should work.

Assuming that one thing that happens most of the time did not happen in your case, that is Windows protection system silently removing some files because it considers changes in Program Files a risk.

I don't see any .bat file to replace. Also, for me it isn't mods/mods in the directory. There's only one mods.

Last edited:
Have you added a VPN lately or some other type of security software?
I've added Tor to some Linux distros but none besides that. I don't use VPNs since you have to trust the company which I absolutely don't.
Is it possible to install two versions of Google Chrome on a Mac, say 93 and the current version 96? If so, how?
It should be. I would just download and duplicate. Then back grade to that version. I have a beta version, a nightly version and a stable build downlaoded and run them sepertly.

Top Bottom