Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Don't you have a ‘kill process’ option?

I have set it to never start or log in until and unless I explicitly tell it to.

Don't you have a ‘kill process’ option?

I have set it to never start or log in until and unless I explicitly tell it to.

It seems this is how I have it set up too, and in the task manager I am only given the option to terminate something that is running. The process does appear on the list, but as inactive (so I am wondering why it is even on the list). It isn't set to run automatically, and you have the option to "start" it from the list but not kill it.

Has twitter anti-hotlinking measures broken stuff for everyone or just for me?

It used to be that you could copy image links from twitter and embed them in posts here. Sometime recently this started failing for me, I think this was the first time I noticed it. Note the image link is https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FF6dmVBWUAU8eXs?format=jpg&name=medium and loads for me as a stand alone image but not within the page, where it is requested with the referer header field of civfanatics.com. It looks like this for me:

Around a similar time I noticed that tweets embedded in news articles seems to be broken. For example there are a load of tweets linked on this page, and they look like this for me:

I do keep my browser pretty locked down, without the closed source DRM codex's and no third party cookies and stuff like that, but I used to be able to see these things. I am just wondering if other people see the same thing, or is it just me?

It should be. I would just download and duplicate. Then back grade to that version. I have a beta version, a nightly version and a stable build downlaoded and run them sepertly.
Thanks a lot, I'll try it out :)

Has twitter anti-hotlinking measures broken stuff for everyone or just for me?
It's been happening to other people as well.

Can someone explain this to me.

Civ 3 Conquests, installed from disk onto Win 10 in C:/Program Files (x86)/... run as localadmin.

In the game I can save and load files, and browse into and out of the Saves folder. With windows explorer I can browse to the install directory and see all the installed files, Civ3Conquests.exe for example. But I cannot see the Saves directory. I run command prompt as administrator and browse to the install directory and it is the same, "dir" gives Civ3Conquests.exe but not Saves. I try "cd Saves" and I get the file not found error. I create a directory "test" with the command prompt, and I can see that file in the game, by Load Game and going up one directory.

In the game I can save and load files, and browse into and out of the Saves folder. With windows explorer I can browse to the install directory and see all the installed files, Civ3Conquests.exe for example. But I cannot see the Saves directory. I run command prompt as administrator and browse to the install directory and it is the same, "dir" gives Civ3Conquests.exe but not Saves.
At the risk of trying to teach your granny to suck eggs (sorry!), this sounds very much like the perennial post-WinXP problem of Windows' VirtualStore sticking/hiding the "real" ../Conquests/Saves folder in the ../Accounts/[User] (?) directory instead of C:/ProgramFiles/.../Conquests/Saves ...? :dunno:

@Puppeteer once made a video advising installation outside C:/ProgramFiles, for just this reason.

But if this is the problem, then you should be able to find the actual location of the folder by simply asking WindozeExploder to search your HDD for *BC.sav files.

Or you could have a look at this thread/utility, also from @Puppeteer: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/virtualstore-detector.509202/

I'm curious how you're getting a CD-version of the game to even run, though? AFAIK, most CD-versions use(d) SecuROM, which needs secdrv.sys, which a Microsoft Security Update disabled in late 2015, and Win10-users aren't even given the option to roll back/ uninstall that...

Last edited:
At the risk of trying to teach your granny to suck eggs (sorry!), this sounds very much like the perennial post-WinXP problem of Windows' VirtualStore sticking/hiding the "real" ../Conquests/Saves folder in the ../Accounts/[User] (?) directory instead of C:/ProgramFiles/.../Conquests/Saves ...? :dunno:

@Puppeteer once made a video advising installation outside C:/ProgramFiles, for just this reason.

But if this is the problem, then you should be able to find the actual location of the folder by simply asking WindozeExploder to search your HDD for *BC.sav files.

I'm curious how you're getting a CD-version of the game to even run, though? AFAIK, most CD-versions use(d) SecuROM, which needs secdrv.sys, which a Microsoft Security Update disabled in late 2015, and Win10-users aren't even given the option to roll back/ uninstall that...
Search for *BC.sav in this PC did it, I should have thought about that. They hid it well, C:/Users/localadmin/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/Fraxis Games/.....

I am afraid I think I am unable to sate your curiosity within the rules of this site.

just look for late General666 or a similarly named CFC nember for Firaxis approved noCD patch from some magazine but then ı know nothing about Windows10 . Hopefully the world will end before ı will have to get it .

Firaxis approved noCD patch from some magazine but then ı know nothing about Windows10 . Hopefully the world will end before ı will have to get it .
That would be this link here:

https://www.pcgames.de/Civilization...-Civ-3-Vollversion-Hier-gibts-Abhilfe-401682/
Spoiler Backstory... :
Sometime prior to releasing the final v.1.22 patch, the German"PCGames" magazine had published a Firaxis-licenced version of Civ3Conquests on a front-cover 'giveaway'-CD. So when the final patch broke their game (by demanding an original Firaxis-CD, which they didn't have), the magazine's readers were understandably upset, and demanded restitution. Firaxis therefore provided a legitimate noCD-patch to the magazine, to fix the problem. But since the patch is still online, anyone can use it (and I suspect that many have, since 2015).
Scroll down the page to the grey box with the "Patchpaket" download (it's safe, AFAIK), download/extract it to your desktop, and then go into the subdirectory which holds the patch for C3C, and copy the conquests.exe over to your installation, and use it in place of the existing file (after first renaming/backing-up the old file, just in case, any damage to your installation is entirely your responsibility, blah blah blah).

ı had it for the XP desktop .

Hello folks,

I'm concerned my SSD (or worse still, entire motherboard) has malfunctioned. I was downloading a game through Steam whilst playing another and my computer suddenly hardlocked and blue-screened. When I start the computer now it hangs for a minute or two on a black screen and then boots into BIOS. On the BIOS screen it says that all of my SATA ports are "not present" and no amount of restarting will make windows appear.

I've noticed my machine acting funny for a while - it took a long time to load into things, sometimes it wouldn't boot correctly and some strange graphical artifacts appeared on screen. I originally put it all down to my graphics card but it seems my SSD may have been the culprit. Can downloading a file cause it to break completely?

Grateful for any assistance.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Sorry, that doesn't sound good. :eek:

Downloading a single file should not create a problem. It sounds like you have been having problems for a while though?

Recently had a problem as my laptop wouldn't boot as a result of a crashed driver update. I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 on a USB thumb drive and got into the bios and set it to boot from the thumb drive. The computer came up and started loading windows from the USB drive. I told it to install a copy of Win10 and on the next screen was able to select the Repair option. It let me troubleshoot the PC and eventually was able to restore the registry from a backup and the computer booted.

So you could use the same process to troubleshoot the computer and see if it tells you anything helpful? You can also see if the PC will boot from USB drive. That would confirm it is the SATA that is dead. New PC time if that is true.

Hello leif Erikson,

I agree, it's bad news whatever it is! Yes, I've had a few problems for a while but never thought to attribute them to the SSD or whole motherboard. I built this PC two years ago so will be sad if it's died already.

Thank you for your advice, I'll try that. I can download a copy of Windows from Microsoft's website, is that right? And then adjust the load order in the BIOS to load from the USB stick. How am I able to tell if the problem is related to the entire motherboard or just my SSD?

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Hello folks,

Further to the above I am now 99% sure the SSD has failed. I followed leif erikson's advice and used a stick to reinstall windows and try repairs. It told me that no repairs were possible so I tried to reinstall windows. When it came to the "where would you like to install windows" screen, it showed one drive (presumably my SSD) but with 0mb of space available. I then disconnected my SSD, repeated the process and the computer then, obviously, detected nothing.

Therefore I think we can say that 1.) my motherboard can still detect storage devices and 2.) my SSD has corrupted to the point nothing can be saved on it. So looks like I'll have to get a new drive and clean install windows.

Not ideal, but certainly better than replacing the motherboard!

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Glad you have found a way forward and it sounds hopeful to only replace the SSD.

Once again, shows the importance of backups of your data. Really stinks to lose it.

Good luck with your repairs. :thumbsup:

If you really wanted to I am sure you could implement this locally, by saving your prefered smilie set and putting entrie(s) in you iptables.
What's that?
Replying here as it is not an FAQ. Iptables are a way of setting a particular way of responding to a particular URI. So I think you could set it to load an image from your disk (say /home/user/images/smilies/mywink.gif) whenever https://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif is on a page. It is not actually something I am very familiar with, but I know you can do it and I think iptables is one way BICBW.

Top Bottom