Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

My new internet router has a password. It posed no problems during initial setup, and I successfully got it to work on my second computer. However, my iPod Touch cannot connect to the internet, despite entering the same password I used for my second computer. I've searched around in my Control Panel for a solution but I don't quite know what I'm doing in there :lol:

I tried to remove the password but it didn't work. Do I need to remove the pass or is there some way to get my iPod connected?

(The password-free router I had before this one worked just fine for my iPod)

My new internet router has a password. It posed no problems during initial setup, and I successfully got it to work on my second computer. However, my iPod Touch cannot connect to the internet, despite entering the same password I used for my second computer. I've searched around in my Control Panel for a solution but I don't quite know what I'm doing in there :lol:

I tried to remove the password but it didn't work. Do I need to remove the pass or is there some way to get my iPod connected?

(The password-free router I had before this one worked just fine for my iPod)

Quick question: Did you put in the thing with the case-sensitive? I seem to remember running into that. Also, check for any MAC Address filtering.

You might be able to authorize it manually from the router setup. But I don't know for certain.

You could put up Amazon links to recommended purchases! It'd be more thematic, since you could recommend Tom Petty purchases.

Question: Is the *.gz archive format good for backups (single files obviously)? If not, what should I use?

If it is good, is there a way to gzip a directory? I looked it up and it seems a limitation.

EDIT: Another one: There's a phenomenon that sometimes when you try to compress an already well-compressed file, it'll increase in size instead. Is there a name for it?

You can turn off threading in the browser view, it is under the Settings page - change Conversation View from On to Off.

:worship: It's called Options, at least on mine - that little gear in the upper right. Thanks.

Threading isn't an email account feature, it's a client feature.

English translation please? Does that mean if I turn off threading on my computer-with-Firefox, it has no effect on my computer-using-Safari?

I resisted threaded emails for a long time, but it's really gives a more efficient workflow, instead of trying to disable it, you're better off learning to make use of it.

But it sucks massively when reading new emails on your smartphone and simply trying to read new emails (and thus having to scroll through several 'pages' to find the newest send) rather than do any work with them.

This is actually for my wife, not me. I plan to keep threading. But her reasons are the same as IglooDude's - except, on her computer.

It means you turn it off in Gmail. The Gmail website is the "client" if that makes sense.

Question:

In MS Access, if I want to use SQL to add records into a table, what should I do? The online tutorial says that you need to write this:

Code:
INSERT INTO TableBlah
VALUES ('Blah', 'Blahblah', 'Yawn')

or whatever, but it doesn't say where to put the code: I tried it in the SQL view of a Query but it just creates a second table with only that record in it.

I deleted some files in Windows 7 and it told me some file names were too long for the recycle bin, lolwut?

I deleted some files in Windows 7 and it told me some file names were too long for the recycle bin, lolwut?

Well the recycle bin folder has some really weird folder names like S-1-5-21-767583912-1031772444-1350279768-1000 -- I dont know what they mean but if you delete it would go to, say, D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-767583912-1031772444-1350279768-1000 so if its a real long filename it might exceed 255. I think it can also happen if you have it several subfolders down.

Question: Is the *.gz archive format good for backups (single files obviously)? If not, what should I use?

If it is good, is there a way to gzip a directory? I looked it up and it seems a limitation.

EDIT: Another one: There's a phenomenon that sometimes when you try to compress an already well-compressed file, it'll increase in size instead. Is there a name for it?

Have you tried 7zip?

Not an expert, but works reliably for me.

Have you tried 7zip?

Not an expert, but works reliably for me.

Yes thats my compression program.

Question: Compared to .AVI, does the MKV container have any advantage to the audio?

Here's a very quick question: I accidentally compiled a PDF so the pages are in the wrong order. Is there a way to fix it without splitting + recompiling?

Question: Compared to .AVI, does the MKV container have any advantage to the audio?
MKV has the ability to have several different audio tracks. They also support higher quality, though it depends on what you put into it. If you start with some extremely low-quality sound file, you're going to end with low quality no matter what filetype you use.
MKV also has higher video quality in my experience.
But all this increase in quality comes with a significant increase in file size.

I use google chrome. Normally when you download something it will have a little icon at the bottom of the screen where you can open/run the file/program that you just downloaded.
Although the icon still shows up, it won't actually do anything anymore. I click on the file and it disappears (like it should) however nothing happens (which is the problem). I'm not asking how to fix the problem (however if anyone happens to know off the top of their head that would be great), rather I'm asking how to find the answer. Any suggestions on what to type in the Google search bar? Nothing I try works.
Thanks

click the little arrow, then open the folder it's in. (If it's not there anymore you can go to tools -> show downloads) If it doesn't work then, it's a corrupt download or something not to do with Chrome.

I got a little problem with my Windows explorer. When I want to move folders I the message in the attachment. When I click on "Try Again" the move takes place as if nothing is wrong.
Strange enough I only get this when moving folders and rar files.

Any idea whats wrong?

Attachments

• exp.png
    exp.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 65
I'm looking for a free software program to make simple animated gifs. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom