Core-source of fear poll

Which of the following is your core-source of fear?

• Somatic

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Psychological

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Quality of living

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Mental degeneration

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Worries about other people

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other/Cthulhu rising

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kyriakos

Creator
A poll about which of the main categories of causes/objects of fear is closer to what your own fears are about.

The question is:

Which of the following is your core-source of fear?

Options are:

1) Somatic (body damage, including illness, accident, genetically inherited etc. The option is about both primary health-weakening manifestations and actual visible results, of various levels).

2) Psychological (persistent external or internal causes for fear, eg working in an environment deemed as dangerous- without actually having been already harmed there- or in areas with wildlife, or having recurrent nightmares, or more clinically suspect phenomena such as hallucinations of horrible nature).

3) Quality of living-related (threats of losing income source or other basis for sustaining current living standard).

4) Mental degeneration (illnesses specifically targeting the ability to think)

5) Worries about other people (eg family, partner, friends, children etc).

6) Other/Cthulhu rising

I guess option six since my core fears are abomination critters. You know, spiders, insects that both fly and sting, and that demon thing from The Exorcist. No, btw, that last one isn't a joke. Ever since seeing that movie, I've had occasional (rare, but consistent) nightmares about that damned thing. Ha... damned... well that's accurate.

My worst fear is giving in and letting myself fall to other people's low (moral) standards. Looking the other way and 'it's my job, if I wasn't doing it then someone else would' type things. 3 Resignations so far. Christ managers are a bunch of wossnames...

I'll go with mental degeneration, family history shows that both sidea of the family live to about 95 and keep their wits about them, but I just have a fear I will be the exception to the rule and end up dribbling in a nursing home...

Oh, I don't know.

Some vague worry about a mis-spent life, I suppose. Not that I can do anything about it, of course.

#4 helps keep me set on uploading myself to a computer.

I'm naturally afraid of heights. I also often worry about work, because it is so chaotic and a programmer needs order.

My main fear is what next stupid thing is humanity going to think up and/or do? What massacre is going to happen tomorrow? Who is going to slam a truck into my niece? Who is going to start a world war and wipe us out? Who is going to help push injustice in this world? Who is going to mess up the American economy again? Who is going to refuse to do anything about it? We are not a very smart species, so I don't much faith in what goes on day to day.

I'm also afraid of ending up on the American no fly list of some sort, because that would severely limit any future adventures. People end up on those lists for secret reasons, so I won't even fart on a plane. Everything's done by the book and I bend over for everyone during security checkpoints. It's sort of ironic that America is the place where my rights and freedoms are forgotten, but I don't mind a bit of sacrifice if that means I get to ride an elephant or go hiking in Norway. But yeah, this is a thing I worry about. Would I end up on that list, ever? Probably not. Yet I've heard horror stories of people ending up on it for seemingly no reason and my brother in law travels often and has told me several stories of.. for example an 80 year old woman being detained for hours at the border and then eventually told to go back to Canada, unable to see her sister.. just because there's something on her record from 40 years ago that she couldn't even remember. So this stuff happens, and when I travel it's constantly on my mind... at least when I'm making my way through the American security theatre.

I can;t understand why people would be scared of heights. A height is something up there. It's depths you can fall into.

If you read Asterix you will learn that ancient Gauls were routinely worried that the sky would fall on their head :yup:

Par Toutatis.

I voted for Quality of living. Hard to explain, i know. :\

The human person is degenerate and not improvable. This causes angst for most people. I think the angst is misdirected. Yog Sathothot is the true menace.

J

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately be explained by stupidity."

Robert Heinlein

Top Bottom