COTM 02: Spoiler 2: End of Middle ages

smackster said:
UN is the easiest, be friendly, keep in touch with tech, big pre-build for the UN.

How to prevent UN resolution in order to achieve Histograph or Spaceship victory?

solenoozerec said:
How to prevent UN resolution in order to achieve Histograph or Spaceship victory?
Ideally you'll pretty much own the world with only one civ left alive, and at that just a small island or tundra city so they really can't develop. In this case, there can never be a vote because only 2 are left.

In all other cases, build it yourself and never hold a vote (and make sure it the city that built it can't be taken.)

COTM 02 – The Dutch (Open)
Middle Ages 390 AD – 1450 AD

As the Middle Ages dawned in 390 AD, our fledgling Dutch Republic was in the midst of the War of Reclamation, intended to toss the French Huguenots, who had dared to settle on the western portion of our land, back in to the sea. The war was brief and bloody for the hapless French defenders; Avignon and Besancon were quickly overrun and peace forced on the French Queen, who, fearing a more imminent invasion of her homelands, had to also offer up the secrets of French Literature. No further military aggression was considered necessary as the Senate turned its attention to building up its overseas colonies in Dutch East Africa.

In 580 AD an Incan ambassador was rebuffed by the Senate for demanding 21 gold as tribute; rebuffed more for the temerity of requesting such a lowly tribute, than anything else. Clearly expecting to sweep out of their arctic strongholds to the west, the Incan leaders immediately declared war, foolishly overlooking the disciplined ranks of Swiss Mercenaries training in the parade grounds around The Hague. In skirmishes across the icy barrens the Incan troops steadfastly refused to engage our stout Mercenaries in open battle. This stalemate persisted for many years until a fearless yet unknown company commander, growing tired of this evasiveness, surprised an Inca garrison and led an assault at the head of a crack group of Mercenaries. Winning despite the odds and taking the town, the feats of this unknown hero ushered in a great Golden Era for our Republic in 670 AD and peace was quickly forced on the Incas.

A peaceful Golden Age ensued with many new temples and cathedrals constructed across the Republic, while interminable smaller wars were constantly breaking out between the less civilized nations of the world. The Dutch East African colonies, (founded in 110 AD across the oceans to the east. to exploit our sturdy farmers and fishermen’s ability to coax extra food from terrain considered unsettle-able by many others less wise in the ways of agriculture) continued to grow, securing another valuable source of the rare iron for our trade empire. Its position at the crux between the Mayan, Zulu and Egyptian nations was particularly suitable for observing the bloodshed of their endless wars. Due mainly to significant advanced planning and pre-building, an expatriate English scientist on the run from the tyrannical English Queen Elizabeth completed Newton’s Observatory in 1220 AD. In 1275 AD the first circumnavigation of the globe was completed by Ferdinand Magellan, another refuge, this time from the Court of the Queen of Spain, but whose exploits were funded by the purse of the Dutch Republic. A memorial to Magellan’s Voyage was completed in Rotterdam. However, this caused great animosity between the Senate and the Spanish court and regrettably plans were made to send a military expedition to emphasize the need for peaceful co-existence. A move considered less risky due to the lack of horses available to Queen Isabella. “A Spain without horses in the Middle Ages; how sad” one senator was heard to mutter as he signed the secret declaration of the “need for military force”.

In 1305 AD the Dutch armada landed an expeditionary force of 24 companies of knights, medieval infantry and long bowmen, plus a strange contraption known as a trebuchet (about which the commander was heard to mutter “Never know if these things are any use”) on the near shores of Spain. Toledo and its famed Statue of Zeus was quickly assaulted and captured, providing less resistance than expected. The capture of Toledo brought with it the prized ivory shipments so long denied us by Isabella. Valencia and Salamanca soon followed in Toledo’s fate, however a sizable Spanish force was fielded from Madrid, looking for revenge. Putting ancient history behind us, our wily tongued diplomats were dispatched to the French court and an alliance was drawn up with the French. Losing sight of her nation’s meager position in the world and demanding she be referred to by her new title, Saint Joan’s forces moved in to Spain from the north, quickly diverting the bulk of the Spanish army away from the Dutch forces in the south. An injured and a bedraggled company of Spanish long bowman staggering their way back towards Madrid was caught flat footed by one of our elite companies of knights and their young company commander, a man by the name of Able Tasman. Seeing his clear brilliance in military leadership, the Senate promptly promoted him to Commander General Pro Counsel and ordered him to assemble a might army in Toledo to “finish this Spanish problem once and for all.”

However, no sooner than these orders were issued, when dire news arrived from our Governor in East Africa; “The Mayans are on the move and a vast hoard of their troops threatens the very existence of our African colonies.” His dispatch read. “No less than 20 companies of the infidel sit outside the walls of Leiden as I write this dispatch. Prey for us”. While the Senate’s worry at this troubling news was well placed, - the loss of even one town could mean the loss of all our lightly defend African colonies and a permanent withdrawal from that continent - so were its prayers. In 1365 a vast hoard of Mayan troops unleashed themselves on the badly outnumbered Leiden garrison of 5 Swiss Mercenaries, only to fall like stalks of wheat at harvest before the resolute pikes of our brave defenders. One after another the waves of Mayan troops kept coming; and kept dieing. So vicious and bloody was the fighting that day that fully 4 in 5 of our troops became elite and the defenders, under the able guidance of one Willem Janez, held the town. Dutch diplomacy once again paid off as our Egyptian allies arrived in force with Cavalry as the last Mayan assault was repulsed and immediately started to decimate the Mayan reserves. “What a glorious day this is for our great Republic” said Willem Janez as he returned to Middleburg to create an administrative center of trade and commerce literally overnight. So quick and secretly was this accomplished that it became known as the Forbidden Palace and it would become the great administrative center of our trading empire that would see Africa’s wealth flow back to The Hague for centuries to come.

Back in Spain, a weakened Isabella proved no match for the new Dutch army of tightly integrated and well-lead knights. Madrid fell in 1380 AD to be soon followed by Seville and Barcelona. With the fall of Murcia and the securing of the Spanish iron mines, the Senate in its infinite wisdom forced peace upon Isabella in 1425 AD, leaving a small vestige of Spanish culture in Vitoria. “For future support in this troubled world” the Senate decreed. With the new scientific advances “taught” to us by the Spanish scientists, a new industrial age dawned in 1450 AD with our Dutch Republic secure in its homeland, integrating its new Spanish possessions in to the Republic and with Dutch East Africa secure for now. But trouble was brewing to the north as the Incan ambassador started to make threatening moves towards our staunch ally “Saint” Joan and troubling reports of Incan knights moving south reached the Senate just as the new age was being ushered in by an official “Make Trade, Not War” celebration on the steps of the Dutch East Africa Company in the Hague. The Dutch Senate, despite all its wisdom, seemed distracted by these celebrations and singularly unconcerned about the appearance of powerful new military units called Cavalry in the armies of other nations and the disturbing lack of a substance called saltpeter that was being put to good use by other scientists.

[Still enjoying this game quite a lot despite the slow progress; I’ll post some game notes, facts and maps in a separate post.]

The Middle Ages (925BC - 460AD)

Preparations (925BC - 250BC)

Coastal towns build Harbor, Library/temple, workers, "Aqueduct".
Rotterdam and Amsterdam FP, Library, Marketplace.
Groningen 2t workers.
Luxury taxes at 20%. Hire Clown in Rotterdam.

775BC Breda founded on horses island. Rushes Harbor.
730BC Meet Egypt. They have nothing to offer.
690BC Meet Zulu. They have Monarchy, which I don't trade.
670BC Learn Monotheism. Research Theology.
630BC Leiden founded on Iron island. Rushes Harbor.
610BC Meet backward Maya. I sell/gift Inca, England and Spain to the Middle Ages. In hope they research Feudalism for me.
570BC Rotterdam completed FP. 1st barracks built on Amsterdam from now on it produces horses and later Knights.
530BC Den Helder founded on continent near Ivory.
510BC Harlingen founded on tundra.
490BC Learn Theology. Research Education.
470BC The Hague built 2nd Rax.
430BC Rotterdam built 3rd Rax.
370BC Learn Education. Research Astronomy.
370BC English and Inca have learned Feudalism. I trade Monotheism on Inca for Feudalism.
310BC War is declared on Spain. Immediately land 2 Swiss Mercenary.
270BC Utrecht built 4th Rax.

The Golden Age (250BC - 150AD)

On GA Military power increases. Island is pretty much developed, workers join cities.

250BC Swiss Mercenary wins.
230BC Learn Astronomy. Research Navigation.
190BC Trade Education to England for Chivalry. I
won't do resource connection tricks. Total 5 horses are upgraded to Knights. I do partial rushes. Example 30spt city builds knight on two turns.
130BC Learn Navigation. Last tech I research. science 0%, taxes 80%. At this moment I go nuts, other civs have not luxuries for trade.
90BC Ivory connected.

30BC Madrid captured.
50AD Incense connected. Seville is building SoZ. Sign peace with Spain for 2 towns. SoZ is built 170AD I broke peace and capture Seville 210AD.
Declare war on France.
70AD Paris captured. 1000 year wars vs Spain and Inca have weakened French greatly. Average two spears per city.
90AD Spices connected.
110AD I have 30 Knights.
130AD Dyes connected.
150AD France destroyed. GA ends.

Domination (150AD - 460AD)
150AD Declare war on Zulus. Land 5 Knights next to Zimbabwe and ToA.
170AD Zimbabwe captured. Every Knight I built forward is sent to eastern
continent. Logistics problems arise on western continent. Nevertheless I declare war on Inca with 15 Knights.
230AD MGL appears in battle of Seville, Knight army hurries to north.
Meanwhile Zulus are being over run by Knights.
250AD MGL appears. Forms Knight army and war vs Inca is won.
280AD Sign peace with Zulus for one town. Declare war on Egypt. Egypt are harder than Zulus. They have MIs and 2-3 Knights.
Wines connected.
330AD Gems connected.
380AD Declare war on England.
410AD Towns captured from Egypt and Zulu are too small. I can't build settlers fast enough to found cities on gaps.
460AD Domination.

Firaxis score 7733, Jason 11060.

I still can no figure out how you guys can achieve conquest victories so quickly and descisively. Good job Kuningas

Can someone explain me this? This happened at the worst moment in the game. Look on strategic resources. Where my horses?

solenoozerec said:
Can someone explain me this? This happened at the worst moment in the game. Look on strategic resources. Where my horses?
QUOTE]

It turned out that I sell 'em. But can I sell the only horses I have?

solenoozerec said:
It turned out that I sell 'em. But can I sell the only horses I have?
Sure you can, you can sell any last resource, or luxury. Sometimes its a legitimate tactic, ie trade your only ivory for their wines + 1GPT, only works when they have more land than you.

Smackster

smackster said:
Sure you can, you can sell any last resource, or luxury. Sometimes its a legitimate tactic, ie trade your only ivory for their wines + 1GPT, only works when they have more land than you.

Smackster

Is it something new for C3C? I do not remember that it was possible in original C3.

It's always been possible to trade your last resource of a particular type, be it Strategic or Luxury. Actually, this is quite useful if you're playing a limited city game such as OCC or 5CC; you often have few resources and the ability to trade away something you have only one of is valuable.

Kuningas said:
130BC Learn Navigation. Last tech I research. science 0%, taxes 80%. At this moment I go nuts, other civs have not luxuries for trade.
Nice, well planned game. (I like the color coding of events, also).

The AI seemed reluctant to build Harbors again, like in GOTM31 (France). When I learned Navigation, the only civ I could trade with was Egypt; at least they had 2 luxuries to trade.

I just saw Kuningas's nice moves and I'm now embarrassed showing this. I was kinda happy taking all the outlying islands with suicide dinky's and then building the core. I was thinking space again but now domination/conquest is on. I was the 1st to miltrad and I'm rolling over Spain right now. The beginning I found another good spot and abandoned the 1st crap spot. Really this is an easy game but again no top score. The drinking is fun though.

solenoozerec said:
Is it something new for C3C? I do not remember that it was possible in original C3.
Yes. I've done it accidentally in the past. Here's how it happened to me:

I have a habit of leaving stuff on the negotiating table and hitting escape, so that I get back quickly when scanning through F4. This works fine until the thing you leave on the table becomes a single-sourced resource. If you're not careful you can then selli it without realising. Poof! Instant unhappiness, or instant loss of ability to build crucial units in teh middle of a war :eek:

The only way I know to recover your source is then either to pillage your road connection to the resource temporarily, or to declare war on the civ you've sold it to. Either way you break your 20 turn deal and your reputation takes a dive.

Quick question; how do you include a jpeg in your posts? I only seem to be able add them to my replies as an attachment, not as an inline image as most people seem to do.

Civgeek said:
Quick question; how do you include a jpeg in your posts? I only seem to be able add them to my replies as an attachment, not as an inline image as most people seem to do.
Int the bottom right corner of every page on Civfanatics (even this one) there is a list of links. Find the link "Upload File". Press it, and you will be able to upload a picture to the Internet. Later, when you are writing your post, you can click this picture: and write or paste the exact address of the picture you uploaded. Just don't forget to take a note of this address when you upload. It should be an Internet address including something like "upload7" and the name of your file.

If you have a single jpeg you can use 'Manage Attachments' in the 'Go Advanced' posting screen. Upload your file and it will be displayed.

Megalou's approach is necessary to display multiple images. Right click the link to your uploaded and copy it, then you can paste it into your post between the 'img' tags. That way you avoid problems with things like capitalisation, and file renaming. Your file *might* be renamed by the upload procedure in order to avoid duplicate names or illegal characters.

COTM 02 - The Dutch (Open)

Dawn of the Middle Ages: 390 AD

14 cities (8 home island, 5 eastern continent, 1 small island), 57 pop, 35 units inc. 1 settler, income 176 gpt (corruption 65 gpt), silks (x3), iron and horses, contact with all civs, no wonders, culture 579. Game score 353 (5th)

Dawn of the Industrial Age: 1450 AD

31 cities (13 home island, 9 eastern continent, 7 western continent, 2 small islands ), 201 pop, 95 units, income 784 gpt (corruption 260 gpt), silks (x3), ivory (x3), iron (x3) and horses, all civs still in game, Copernicus Observatory (oddly named after Newton in dispatches), Magellan’s Voyage, Statue of Zeus (captured), Oracle (captured), Sun Tzu’s Art of War (captured), culture 10,961. Game score 1065 (2nd).

Lessons learned: I think in reading over some of the other game summaries I probably could have had a denser settlement of the starting island, which would have helped in reducing corruption and increasing my tech rate (which always seemed to be behind at this point). I think that problem – less cities in starting island than faster finishers - actually has had more of an impact on my game than the decision to not move the settler at the beginning. An earlier war with Spain would also have helped, but I was trying for as peaceful a game as possible.

Open [c3c]

Ancient Age Spoiler

Medieval Age Plans:

As mentioned in my AA spoiler, I've no intention of initiating military offensives against foreign powers for sport; however, I do reserve the right to do so for strategic resources inorder to ensure preservation of the Dutch Republic and to "relcaim" Dutch lands (starting landmass). I intend to trade techs freely (not for free).

Expansion & Exploration:

Den Helder is established during this age, and exploration is pretty much complete. All the small surrounding islands have been claimed by Dutch settlers. I intend to cover each open tile on these islands to prevent enemy landings in the event of foreign aggression. There are four cities on the starting landmass belonging to rival civs (Spain - 1 & France - 3) to the western edge.

Research:

* Monotheism (300 AD).
* Theology (410 AD).
* Education (560 AD).
* Trade Theology to Maya for Chivalry & Literature, plus gold/goods (570 AD).
* Trade Education to Egypt for Engineering & Monarchy, plus gold/goods (700 AD).
* Astronomy (730 AD).
* Trade Astronomy to Egypt for Invention, plus gold/goods (780 AD).
* Chemistry (???? AD).
* Trade Chemistry to Inca for Banking & Music Theory, plus gold/goods (930 AD).
* Economics (1020 AD); trade Banking to Maya for Navigation, plus gold/goods.
* Physics (1100 AD); trade it to Egypt for Metallurgy, plus gold/goods.
* Theory of Gravity (1160 AD).
* Magnetism (1230 AD); trade it to Egypt for Military Tradition & Printing Press, plus gold/goods. Enter Industrial Age
* Sliders are at 0-9-1 going into the Industrial Age.

Resources:

Without Saltpeter, but I was able to trade for it w/ Maya for as long as Saltpeter is an important strategic resource.

Wonders:

* Utrecht built Forbidden Palace (760 AD).
* Amsterdam built The Knights of Templar (670 AD).
* Utrecht built Smith's Trading Company (1130 AD).

Conflicts:

* Zulu declare war on me in 560 AD, because their ridiculous demands were refused. An alliance is signed w/ Spain v. Zulu during the next turn. Very little comes of the war. I do lose about 4 units trying to capture Zunguin, an island settlement south of the eastern continent. I end of giving them Music Theory for peace. in 950 AD.
* Maya declare war on me in 570 AD, because their ridiculous demands were refused. Nothing of importance occurs, at all. To prevent the chances for Maya to sign alliacnes against me, I choose to pay 60 gold for peace in 830 AD.
* The pestering Zulu declare war again in 980 AD, after I again refuse their ridiculous demands. They're really making me want to change my game-play plans. I lose Breda (northeatern island) but recapture it soon after. This time I'm successful in capturing Zunguin in 1060 AD. Zulu agree to peace same turn, giving wm & 11 gold.
* In 1200 AD, I declare war on France, to consolidate Dutch control of the starting landmass. I capture Avignon & Besancon same year. This war will go a few turns into the next age.

Assessment/Outlook:

Everything is going as planned. The conflicts w/ the Zulu, Maya, & France could be issues come time for the UN vote, but I expect to have these ironed out well before then. Currently, Utrecht is buiding Newton's University. The comination of Smith's gpt boost & Newton's research bonus will be instrumental in keeping the Dutch technologically advanced in relation to rival civs.

Mini Map 1230 AD

Dutch Lands 1230 AD

AlanH said:
If you have a single jpeg you can use 'Manage Attachments' in the 'Go Advanced' posting screen. Upload your file and it will be displayed.

Megalou's approach is necessary to display multiple images. Right click the link to your uploaded and copy it, then you can paste it into your post between the 'img' tags. That way you avoid problems with things like capitalisation, and file renaming. Your file *might* be renamed by the upload procedure in order to avoid duplicate names or illegal characters.
Thanks to both of you for the pointers; it seems to work fine now (alhtough I'll have to work on simpler file names :D ) One follow-up; the upload manger inlcuded the following note:

Important: vB 3.0 has a very efficient old attachments removal feature, so please use forum attachment instead of this upload service for all files under 500 KB whenever possible.
Is forum attachement what you described for uploading single images?

I had never come across this situation before; captured a couple of workers from the Mayans that came from "a barbarian chiefdom". Anybody know how barabrian workers get created?

Top Bottom