Counting years

I think the current implementaiton, with no year display before calendar, goes a decent way to fixing a lot of the problems with Wonder-timing. So yeah, I think this is an improvement.

Anything beyond that, Rhye, is up to you. It would be gravy.

I only now got to try out the game with era display. I have to admit I felt rather lost playing as Rome and never seeing the year number change. I still don't want years counted the way they used to be, but I definately need to see turn numbers along with era.
Also, Rhye, can you tell us for the Historical Challenge what turn numbers the years AD 50 and AD 200 correspond with?

I thought years are still the same, just hidden until Calendar. So how does it actually work now?

All I need to know is what turn numbers those years have, because the challenge is all based around completing certain goals in a very tight timeframe. Right now one has to just wait until Calendar is discovered or until civs start spawning to figure out that you've failed the challenge. This wastes precious testing time.
EDIT: And please reply to the Pax Romana thread, Rhye, I've suggested some changes to the mod to make the challenge possible and I'd like to know what you think about them.

A turn display would be a nice thing.

Can't turns be seen from the victory conditions screen: "x turns left!".

HÄI said:
Can't turns be seen from the victory conditions screen: "x turns left!".
Yes, but that's not as comfortable as having the number right in front of you.

Can you release a new version with this fix soon? It's very annoying to be unable to reload (and to play with neither turn number nor year showing.)

Bumping for full game era display ;)

When I first played Civ IV I thought the year system would be great, but I quickly grew to hate the way it worked - in the original game on any speed, the modern era would arrive sometime around the 1600s, and it just didn't seem right that Buddhism was founded in 4000 BC.

The era system, if it is divided into smaller (but accurately titled) ages would be great for an accuracy obsessive such as myself. Sometimes it is very nice to be able to interpret the time for yourself, and having the year set in stone doesn't let you do that.

It also removes the "It takes 15 years to move one tile" feeling, whereas here they are just turns in longer or shorter eras.

I´m sorry about my obsession with it, but I fell in love with the system, and I am sad for my inability to mod it into RFC and vanilla (now warlords).

I definitely think that if you numbered the turns, and divided the game into 20 ages (rather than 7), you could have LOTS of timeline accuracy and still allow people to track how fast they're doing stuff. I'm okay with whatever Rhye says, though.

Besides in Civ the progress of the world is defined by tech advance rather than the timeline.

Top Bottom